All things Brandon Sanderson

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
Yeah bs had to finish for him. I think he becomes the category. Don’t want to be a Jordan. I loved that series and it’s axtually how I discovered Sanderson so I’m glad they got him to do it
Yeah, but he never really had a problem publishing books like grrm and rothfuss. Looking at it the biggest gap he had was 3 years, with most benign 1-2. That’s not bad at all considering the size of his books.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Yeah, but he never really had a problem publishing books like grrm and rothfuss. Looking at it the biggest gap he had was 3 years, with most benign 1-2. That’s not bad at all considering the size of his books.

He had no problem publishing books, he just had problems sticking to his story and being concise. I think he just didn’t want it to end, I mean there were brand new plot lines and characters starting in book nine or ten.

Maul

Dental Dammer
Yeah bs had to finish for him. I think he becomes the category. Don’t want to be a Jordan. I loved that series and it’s axtually how I discovered Sanderson so I’m glad they got him to do it
Irony is the books Sanderson did were way better than any Jordan done, even considering Sanderson had to carry on the braid tugging aids.

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Irony is the books Sanderson did were way better than any Jordan done, even considering Sanderson had to carry on the braid tugging aids.
I was going to insult you, but your post does it well enough. Other than that, its just your opinion, so ok. I love the Stormlight series by Sanderson, but at the moment, it doesn't stack up well to WoT, and the WoT books that Sanderson wrote are certainly not way better than what Jordan wrote, just my opinion of course. =)

• 1Dislike
Reactions: 1 user

Arative

Vyemm Raider
I was going to insult you, but your post does it well enough. Other than that, its just your opinion, so ok. I love the Stormlight series by Sanderson, but at the moment, it doesn't stack up well to WoT, and the WoT books that Sanderson wrote are certainly not way better than what Jordan wrote, just my opinion of course. =)

The only problem with Jordan was his wife was his editor

Braen

<Medals Crew>
Anyone got a place where you can get the Stormlight Archives Graphic Audio books? I listened to the Way of Kings and it was very entertaining.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
God damn Kaladin can be such a frustrating character through his personality. Though it works well to keep him from being too damn perfect due to all the rest. I'm looking forward to seeing if he can get over himself. (no spoilers please)

Randin

Trakanon Raider
A major theme in Stormlight is heroes that are legitimately fucked up. Kaladin has clinical depression, Shallan has some fucked up shit in her past, and increasingly bad coping mechanisms for dealing with it, Dalinar has to deal with the fear that he's going crazy with his visions, to say nothing of what comes up in the course of Oathbringer. So yeah, characters in this series aren't always going to be looking at situations entirely rationally.

• 1Like

Arative

Vyemm Raider
A major theme in Stormlight is heroes that are legitimately fucked up. Kaladin has clinical depression, Shallan has some fucked up shit in her past, and increasingly bad coping mechanisms for dealing with it, Dalinar has to deal with the fear that he's going crazy with his visions, to say nothing of what comes up in the course of Oathbringer. So yeah, characters in this series aren't always going to be looking at situations entirely rationally.

A common theme in sanderdons books is that you have to be broken in some way to access the magic system

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
The only two times I can remember getting literally upset (angry) about reading something in a fantasy novel was Ned getting executed and in this case:

Kaladin refusing another shardblade/armour after getting out of prison. "Just take it you dumb bastard!" I gather from the following chapter that he doesn't need the blade as he'll be able to eventually create his own, but the armour would have been good to have.

I appreciate the character aspect despite it being frustrating. I've experienced some things similar to him so I understand the rigid stubbornness that results in stupid choices.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Book two down and I'm walking away with 3 new questions for every one answered. Loved every bit of it though.

No real surprises as he has a gift for giving you just enough to figure things out and see what's likely to happen, but the increasing depth of the mythology and the conspiracy stuff keeps pulling you in.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
I'm looking to get a few books for a trip I have coming up. I haven't read anything by Sanderson, but have heard good things. What do you guys recommend starting with?

Arative

Vyemm Raider
I'm looking to get a few books for a trip I have coming up. I haven't read anything by Sanderson, but have heard good things. What do you guys recommend starting with?

Start with the mistborn trilogy and go from there. I'd say read the cosmere stuff in order but Elantris and Warbreaker are fairly weak books being his first ones, so it might turn you off. Though you can judge his growth as an author reading them in order.

The stormlight archives series is pretty dense so I'd stay away from that until you know you like his stuff.

If you want some quick, easy reads, he wrote some YA stuff, The reckoners series is decent

• 2Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

italica

Trakanon Raider
2nd'ing that start with Mistborn then go back to Elantris / Warbreaker if you enjoyed that and want to read all the Cosmere related stuff.

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Needless

Toe Sucker
To be fair i started with The Way of Kings and branched off to mistborn so it's still worth jumping right into TSA if it appeals to you.
Mistborn is definitely a good start though, i'd 3rd that.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
I started with Mistborn and had no troubles. I was confused for the first quarter of the first book or so but it all fell into place quick enough.

Randin

Trakanon Raider
Sanderson does get better with each subsequent book/series, but really, even his weakest work is pretty damn good, so publication order isn't a bad way to go. (Elantris>Mistborn>Wax and Wayne>Warbreaker>Stormlight)

But when you get right down to it, you can do them in just about any order, with two caveats:

Read Mistborn before Wax and Wayne. Wax and Wayne takes place in the Mistborn world, just a couple centuries later, so you'll be spoiling shit for yourself if you go out of order.

Read Warbreaker before Stormlight. Elements of Warbreaker become relevant in Stormlight; reading out of order wouldn't screw things up to the same degree as with Mistborn and W&W, but still, just read them in order.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Hit a lack of interest about a third of the way through Oathbringer. Does it get better, or am I OK with leaving it for the future? It's just not as gripping as the first two books, and seems to be pretty poorly written for a Sanderson book.

• 1Solidarity

italica

Trakanon Raider
Hit a lack of interest about a third of the way through Oathbringer. Does it get better, or am I OK with leaving it for the future? It's just not as gripping as the first two books, and seems to be pretty poorly written for a Sanderson book.

It's been a minute since I read it, but I had the same problem with the front half to 2/3 of it, but the last 1/3 at least was pretty great. Edit: And probably important to the overall story.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users