All things Brandon Sanderson

jaycint

Lord Nagafen Raider
About 3/4 of the way through RoW and this has been so painful. I hate to say it because I was a huge fan of the first 3 books but something just fell flat for me in this one. After reading some of the other comments here I'm glad to see it's not just me. If I have to read one more chapter that goes into painstaking detail about how Navani combines this light with that light in order to create something else I think I'm going to cry. Those parts make me feel like I'm reading lab paperwork, it's so unbelievably dry. I get that Sanderson is big on world building and I actually really enjoy the complicated system of magic he has created, but I did not in any way need the level of detail and explanation put into those parts of the book. It felt like something that could have been put at the end of the book as an addendum or something.

I'm hoping the last 300 or so pages really pick up and give me a reason to look forward to book 5.

Arative

Vyemm Raider
It picks up and has a good ending. I felt that way about oathbringer, it was a slog to get through but row wasn't for me.

ubiquitrips

Golden Knight of the Realm
About 3/4 of the way through RoW and this has been so painful. I hate to say it because I was a huge fan of the first 3 books but something just fell flat for me in this one. After reading some of the other comments here I'm glad to see it's not just me. If I have to read one more chapter that goes into painstaking detail about how Navani combines this light with that light in order to create something else I think I'm going to cry. Those parts make me feel like I'm reading lab paperwork, it's so unbelievably dry. I get that Sanderson is big on world building and I actually really enjoy the complicated system of magic he has created, but I did not in any way need the level of detail and explanation put into those parts of the book. It felt like something that could have been put at the end of the book as an addendum or something.

I'm hoping the last 300 or so pages really pick up and give me a reason to look forward to book 5.

This is really interesting to me. I found the Navani light combining portions really intriguing for some reason. They definitely weren't edge of my seat moments, but I liked seeing where that was going. I think the Venli arc was the one I was least fond of in RoW and felt tough to get through.

The book definitely picks up in the final act typical of Sanderson. There are several scenes toward the end that were very gripping and made me feel feelings. I am pretty dense and this has been historically hard for visual mediums much less reading.

jaycint

Lord Nagafen Raider
It picks up and has a good ending. I felt that way about oathbringer, it was a slog to get through but row wasn't for me.
That's good to know, it feels like it's getting there but just taking an inordinate amount of time.

This is really interesting to me. I found the Navani light combining portions really intriguing for some reason. They definitely weren't edge of my seat moments, but I liked seeing where that was going. I think the Venli arc was the one I was least fond of in RoW and felt tough to get through.

The book definitely picks up in the final act typical of Sanderson. There are several scenes toward the end that were very gripping and made me feel feelings. I am pretty dense and this has been historically hard for visual mediums much less reading.
Yeah that is kind of interesting. I guess it's a different strokes for different folks kind of thing. I don't think it was poorly written or anything but for some reason it just didn't hold my interest. I found myself reading the same sentence over and over. I totally agree by the way on the Venli arc. I was not a fan at all, particularly of the flashback scenes. It's good to know that there are some really gripping scenes towards the end, that should give me the drive to plow through it. I mean after all I'm 1000 pages in so I might as well finish it lol. The funny thing is, I already know I'll be picking up book 5 on day 1, that's how much of a Sanderson fan I am in general.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Am I missing something here? The books are essentially already written, right? If so, this is less like a kickstarter(help me fund this promising idea) and more like a ransom. It also kinda reminds me of publishers ripping content out of games and then charging for it as DLC.

Sanderson generally writes good content if not a bit formulaic. But this seems like a bad precedent. Maybe there isn't a better platform for him to test this idea.

Brodhi

I picked the wrong week to stop sniffing glue.
<Donor>
Weird, he's skipping a normal publisher route and releasing stuff on Kickstarter. Maybe he'll get more money this way? Or maybe they aren't good enough to be published. Not a book expert , but seems really odd.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
It’s basically like a preorder. Using Kickstarter helps people dial in how many they need to order instead of guessing at the demand. They don’t have to warehouse excess copies if they over ran demand. People have been doing it for years in all kinds of categories.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
Am I missing something here? The books are essentially already written, right? If so, this is less like a kickstarter(help me fund this promising idea) and more like a ransom. It also kinda reminds me of publishers ripping content out of games and then charging for it as DLC.

Sanderson generally writes good content if not a bit formulaic. But this seems like a bad precedent. Maybe there isn't a better platform for him to test this idea.

He's kickstarting the publishing aspect, not the writing or ideas. Basically the cost of printing, storage, shipping etc...

I wonder if we'll find out how much of that money he ends up with after paying for everything.

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
It feels like it's been longer than normal since Rich Evens wrote his last book. Did the pandemic cripple him or something?

Szeth

Trakanon Raider
He wrote 4 books during the pandemic which he released as a kickstarter, on top of making progress towards others. The last Wax and Wayne book comes out in a couple of months, and I believe one of the four he wrote during it releases soon as well.

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
next Mistborn book out November 15. I will murder something if its delayed.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Ranak

Molten Core Raider
Love Brandon Sanderson for many reasons, but been a little disappointed in the last two Stormlight books. For me he's turned the series into a fantasy superhero saga, which isn't bad by itself, but the power creep has just gotten out of control. The time spent on the mental health issues was also exhausting and boring for the most part and took up way too much of the book(s). I'll keep buying, reading and displaying his books prominently in my home library, but I'm not looking forward to them as I once did.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Phayd

Golden Knight of the Realm
Wax & Wayne: The Lost Metal is released today. Seems like forever since we got a Cosmere book…

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
I'm only halfway through, so don't spoil more with an answer lol

Moonlight is Jasnah right? When she went off with Hoyd (Hoid?) at the end of whichever book

Arative

Vyemm Raider
I'm only halfway through, so don't spoil more with an answer lol

Moonlight is Jasnah right? When she went off with Hoyd (Hoid?) at the end of whichever book
Timeline wise I think that adds up, Mistborn era 2 takes places a few years after stormlight. There is no consensus over at 17th shard about who moonlight is