All things Brandon Sanderson

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Well, with 8 books to go or whatever there's plenty of time for him to make the slow descent in to real evil with some corrupting influence.

Before his inevitable last second change of character

And Ididgive a little internal 'Fuck yeah!' when he murdered that asshole.
Probably more like Chaotic Neutral, or whatever the nerds call it. He won't be dark like a bad guy, but I could see his judgement being clouded and doing bad things for good reasons.

Oh, and not really a nitpick, but that sword they gave to Szeth at the end seemed like a fairly blatant homage to Stormbringer, but when it said something along the lines of, "Hi there! Would you like to slay some evil today?" I cracked up. I can't imagine it is actually a "good" sword, but if it pretends to be, and continues to act like the paperclip from Microsoft Office, I'll probably love it anyway.
Did you read Warbreaker? Not that I can comment on Stormbringer or Moorcock, but maybe that is where he got the inspiration from. But the sword is a 'character' from that novel.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
Oh, nope, haven't read Warbreaker yet. Damn, I guess that will be on my list next. Should have been anyway, but now I'll read it sooner. Thanks!

Chaotic_sl

shitlord
Quick question, has he gotten better since Elantris? I read that based on good reviews and a number of recommendations - but it just seemed very childish and cliche for the fantasy genre.

Nebuchadnezzar

Golden Squire
He's gotten quite a bit better since Elantris. He's still very PG however. With Sanderson you're getting creative worlds with twist and turns and very readable action, not moral dilemmas or complex characters.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Yeah he has absolutely increased in quality since Elantris. And to piggyback on what Neb is saying you also get creative magic systems that generally have well explained rules, diagrams, definitions, and what-not. And now with his Cosmere plan laid out you get an Easter egg hunt for the really hardcore people that want to fit together 30 books over an extended period of time.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
Finished Radiance the other day. Very very good. Decided to pick up Elantris today because I had no idea what other books to read. I just powered through WoR so I didn't have a backup plan.

I think I'm just going to read all of his books. Maybe I'll re-read Mistborn so I have it fresh when I read the Alloy book. Mistborn is so awesome and yet so shitty because of the ending.

Sarg_sl

shitlord
Yeah so, just finished reading WoR, and am really digging the Stormlight series right now. I didn't really notice the theme of his books all being part of the same 'universe' until I googled around a bit. Never really noticed the 'Shards' thing since its been a long while since I read mistborn and forgot about Ruin/Preservation, and how Cultivation/Honor/Odium would tie into that same universe. Great books, and pretty cool way to thread all your different book series together... Guess I may have to check out some of the others now as well.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
Go google "Words of Radiance" and "letters". In one section of the book, the pre-chapter part (I forget the word for it) is a letter from Wit to the head 17th shard guy. Pretty cool and something you wouldn't notice at all unless you knew some extra stuff.

Himeo

Vyemm Raider
Okay, the burn from the dumb "twist" ending of the second mistborn book scabbed over. Is it worth giving Sanderson another shot and finishing the trilogy or will there be another "twist" that will piss me off in book 3?

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Book 3 has cool action, but if the end of 2 pissed you off just run away from 3. Motherfuckin' fantasy scooby doo shit there.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
There is nothing you would get from book 3 that wiki wouldn't solve (and with more satisfaction) if you decide to read Alloy of Law and just really need to know about the connections and links.

Nehrak_sl

shitlord
For the Words of Radiance-completed people:

So, who wants to double down on the following pet theory/future speculation?

- Dalinar ends up becoming Honor, but only after he witnesses Cultivation's death/Splintering (which is how he discovers how to 'fix' Honor).

There are a few hints that have been dropped supporting the first part of that sentence. I've been trying to pin down what the vague comments from Q&A with Brandon have meant about various topics, and this is one conclusion I'm reaching.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
I don't really have an opinion on that since I've never looked beyond what was written in the books.

I don't think becoming feels right, but more like fixing.

Nehrak_sl

shitlord
I don't really have an opinion on that since I've never looked beyond what was written in the books.

I don't think becoming feels right, but more like fixing.
That's basically the same thing in this case. Tanavast (Honor's previous holder) is 100% stone cold dead. The power will go somewhere, and the person that fixes it has the highest chance of inheriting it. Personally, I suspect that'll be one of the few ways that they can hope to hold out against Odium.

Needless

Toe Sucker
Early readings of content from book 3, including...

...how Jasnah escaped without dying despite a fatal stab wound. My pet theory on that got blown completely apart.

Stormlight Archive Book 3(+) Readings - Words of Radiance Discussion - 17th Shard Forums
I'm not surprised by Jasnah still being alive... i mean, she should be dead but as any literature or show goes.. if it's not confirmed, they'll probably be back at some point.
Ivory is new though right? I don't recall her revealing who her bound spren was.

Nehrak_sl

shitlord
I'm not surprised by Jasnah still being alive... i mean, she should be dead but as any literature or show goes.. if it's not confirmed, they'll probably be back at some point.
Ivory is new though right? I don't recall her revealing who her bound spren was.
She mentioned Ivory, by name, in passing in the early parts of Words of Radiance.