Altered Carbon

Cybsled

Well Mary Lou knew nothing about what was done to her chip, all she could say was that Bancroft real killed a prostitute in an establishment that probably had clauses in place to protect their clientele from the repercussions of any sort of "accidental" killing anyway. I mean look at what went on there.

There was no clause, they just covered it up and duped the poor men/women up there into thinking they would be re-sleeved once they died. In a world where death doesn't have to be permanent, it makes sense you would cater to those that got off on the real thing, and if they had the money to do that, you would need to make sure it all stays under the radar.

Just got done watching it. I liked it and want to see a 2nd season, although I liked Poe and was sorry to see him go. He was just an AI that wanted a friend ;P

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Gask

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Yes obviously or Bancroft's story would have been completely different. I was just talking logical assumptions like popular uprisings.

Enzee

Trakanon Raider
That and Bancroft receiving a personality 180 without anything but hearsay available to convince him and in that room and with those people to witness it?
Ok, I think you are not realizing Bancroft's sense of honor and moral code. I can understand why, the show kept it a bit subtle, but he was a man of extreme honor (at least he thought so). There was a moral line he would never cross, under any circumstances, but anything on the other side of it was fair game. Tak had basically said he was morally bankrupt, he argued he was not, he just didn't think most of the things he did were bad. Yes, he would damage (kill) someone's sleeve, but he'd pay to re-sleeve them and upgrade them. In his mind, he was doing more overall good while entertaining himself. Combined with how he takes care of the diseased poor and other charitable acts, you can see how he'd think he's actually a 'good guy'. Tak showed him that he DID cross that line and had become morally bankrupt all along. When he initially committed the act, he killed himself to forget. Being reminded of what happened and having him go receive punishment is perfectly in line with his initial reaction to the act. He wasn't going to fight it if he was convinced it was true, and hearing the evidence was enough to convince him. His ex-lawyer, Takeshi, Lizzie, Tak's sister, Mary Lou Henchy and even Miriam all had stories that lined up with that sequence of events. Maybe that's all hearsay in court, but it was enough to sway him.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
I enjoyed this show, but I agree that the second half is much weaker than the first. I love the world itself and the ideas it presents. It started out with a high budget, epic movie quality and the last 3 episodes dipped into SyFy Channel territory. I'm down for a 2nd season, but I wouldn't be too upset if it didn't happen.

• 1Like

Cybsled

Btw, was it just me, or did the recycled Daredevil/marvel sets really stand out? Ortega's apartment was Murdock's apartment and I think the sparring gym was from Iron Fist.

Gask

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Ok, I think you are not realizing Bancroft's sense of honor and moral code. His ex-lawyer, Takeshi, Lizzie, Tak's sister, Mary Lou Henchy and even Miriam all had stories that lined up with that sequence of events. Maybe that's all hearsay in court, but it was enough to sway him.

I understand Bancroft's code, I really do. The problem is that everyone telling him these things is hostile towards him and he has little reason to take what they say at face value. Basically the only voice he could perhaps trust in that instance was that of his wife who admitted to giving him a drug that would have triggered a psychotic episode beyond his control. Thus it all hinges on the delivery with all of these people being allowed to invade his estate, provide a dramatic exposay and his wife then being willing to go along with them to damn herself in front of her husband and every Meth there. I guess she was just that crazy and Bancroft was more concerned with her feelings than the fact that he was betrayed and manipulated; that's how the audience should interpret things, I understand that, but it just didn't work for me. Shrug.

Last edited:

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
Btw, was it just me, or did the recycled Daredevil/marvel sets really stand out? Ortega's apartment was Murdock's apartment and I think the sparring gym was from Iron Fist.

Unless they flew everyone from Vancouver to NYC to film just those scenes.... It's you.

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
Finally finished. Episode 7 on, just wasn't good.

The lead guy sucked. He just can't act.

Lets kill off the best character on the show! WHY do they keep doing this?

I still don't get what the purpose of the whole Lizzie family arc was about. The whole speedy training thing fucks the whole world up also, because the 1st thing I thought of is why isn't everyone trained in VR and made into assassins in a couple weeks.

The crazy sister shit...yeah OK. The whole "love me brother!" shit was just stupid. Her also killing Ortega's family made no sense. Ortega didn't even seem to miss a beat BTW.

The casting of the sisters pet assassin was just HORRIBLE. Like a fuckin Asian Ned Flanders that was gutting everyone. He was zero scare factor to the audience.

The whole saving grace...Ortega had a nice ass. Yeah. I'd give it a solid 9.

• 1Like

Cybsled

Well to be fair, Ortega probably saw her family die hundreds of times in VR lol

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
Over all I feel the same as I did about westworld, great show worth watching with some stupid shit that makes no sense.
Glad I took the time, did the book justice and hopefully we get more seasons.

• 1Like

Enzee

Trakanon Raider
The whole speedy training thing fucks the whole world up also, because the 1st thing I thought of is why isn't everyone trained in VR and made into assassins in a couple weeks.
In the book, doing relative time in VR is somewhat easy to do, though you need very powerful/expense systems to do higher speeds like 20x. Getting 2-5x speed in VR is relatively common place, and is indeed used for training of people as well as other things (the torture sequence, for example, could be 5-10 minutes of real time for a full day of torture). However, when it comes to physical abilities (such as fighting) you don't get as much out of it. Your sleeve's muscle memory is more important then knowing the moves. Sleeves that have advanced combat training and engineered reflexes are expensive for this exact reason.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
In the book, doing relative time in VR is somewhat easy to do, though you need very powerful/expense systems to do higher speeds like 20x. Getting 2-5x speed in VR is relatively common place, and is indeed used for training of people as well as other things (the torture sequence, for example, could be 5-10 minutes of real time for a full day of torture). However, when it comes to physical abilities (such as fighting) you don't get as much out of it. Your sleeve's muscle memory is more important then knowing the moves. Sleeves that have advanced combat training and engineered reflexes are expensive for this exact reason.

This. The series touched on this in the very beginning when it said that Taekshi's sleeve had, "military grade neurochem" which is gobbledegook for saying that you have superhuman reflexes and whatever else. Combine this with an Envoy is has total control over any sleeve he is in (Takeshi stopped his heart during the torture), total recall/perfect memory and a recoded mind so they have various human instincts modified/removed. It makes them a league above any other dumbass in a combat sleeve.

Of course the TV show here tanked all that with Lizzie using a trash tier synth sleeve and the hyperbolic time chamber to become a shapreshifting super assassin in a week.

Enzee

Trakanon Raider
Yea, i was a little pissed that they made relative time into some rare thing Poe figured out how to do. As if no one else ever did it.

I didnt mind that they changed synths into shapechangers instead cheap of, ghetto sleeves. Carnage's look is how synths are supposed to all look. Vaguely human but a little 'off'. But, the vr time thing did piss me off a bit.

People use the faster VR time to plan out stuff in a hurry. Like, their raid on the sky brothel would take days to plan and practice, and if they only have a few hours, they could go over it in VR at like 15-20x speed.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Yea, i was a little pissed that they made relative time into some rare thing Poe figured out how to do. As if no one else ever did it.

I didnt mind that they changed synths into shapechangers instead cheap of, ghetto sleeves. Carnage's look is how synths are supposed to all look. Vaguely human but a little 'off'. But, the vr time thing did piss me off a bit.

People use the faster VR time to plan out stuff in a hurry. Like, their raid on the sky brothel would take days to plan and practice, and if they only have a few hours, they could go over it in VR at like 15-20x speed.

• 1Worf

Kovaks

Mr. Poopybutthole
I read somewhere this was supposed to go foor 5 seasons, I don't know how I feel about that, the change I hated the most was the finding his lost princess bulshit at the end, and it will be interesting to see how they do this where you can never use the same actors. Too many book adaptations fuckbup because they get attached to an actor and so extend or change stories to keep using them.

Cybsled

I do hope they continue it, but they at least wrapped up the season in a fairly self-contained way.

spronk

FPS noob
Apparently the writers room for the show is back and working, while the official confirmation for renewal won't appear for a few more weeks I think its getting safer to say there will be a season 2 of Altered Carbon

Harkon

Vyemm Raider
Way too many deviations from one of the best books I've read in the past decade for me to enjoy (other than the First Law series). The source material is amazing and I'm fucking stunned at how they took such a great story and made so many poor choices. From the first telescope scene with Bancroft to the finale terrible choices all around save for the Hendrix (Raven in show) which I understand.

While I feel the 2nd book is even better (more my style) I don't want these idiots to do it.

And they probably will, and won't be able to stop from messing with it.

Last edited:
  • 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users