AMC Theatres to Change Movie Ticket Prices Based on Seat Location

Goatface

Similar to music concerts, sporting events or Broadway, moviegoers will have the option to pay more or less for admission depending on where they choose to sit in the venue. In effect, front row seats will be available at a lower price, while seats in the middle of the theater will be available at a higher price.

The initiative kicks off on Friday at select AMC locations in New York, Chicago and Kansas City and will be expanded to all domestic AMC locations by the end of the year.

1675712613837.png

poked around and found a nyc place, $2 -/+. really thought there would been more value seats

1675713585029.png

that is normal chair prices, with recliners
1675713792347.png

• 3Worf
  • 1WTF
Reactions: 3 users

Animosity

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Just makes it easier for me to not go to the movie theaters unless its for the yearly blockbuster. Thank god.

• 9Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 9 users

k^M

Blackwing Lair Raider
is this before or after they file for bankruptcy?

• 4Like

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
"Hey guys, I know we fucked things up during and after COVID when people realized watching 95% of movies are better watched at home but I have a fucking banging idea.....we charge extra for seats that were previously merely first come first serve. Genius, right? This will surely turn it around for our flailing business!"

• 5Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 5 users

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
I haven't been to the movies since 2019.

27.99 for one ticket? I know it's NYC, but...

wtf-gif.gif

• 6Like
  • 1Worf
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 7 users

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
For 7pm tonight:
$18.01 for Cinemark XD 3D
$24.62 for Regal LieMAX 3D

The Regal doesn't list Fri/Sat times for me to compare sadly, probably $30 or more

Surprisingly the Regal price is the same no matter which day of the week. Depending on perspective they either give no discount on weekdays or they don't charge more on weekends.

Last edited:

Animosity

The only good thing Regal does in my area, is $7 tuesday movie tickets.

Cybsled

They should pay you for sitting in the first row, to help pay for the Tylenol you’ll need to take after your neck is injured from looking up for 2-3 hours

• 2Like
  • 2Worf

Angerz

Trakanon Raider
I haven't been to the movies since 2019.

27.99 for one ticket? I know it's NYC, but...

That is like $10 more expensive than the Dolby out in the suburbs of Chicago, and $5 more than I can find at a dolby in the city.

A big thing is that this doesn't effect movies before like 4pm and A List can still pick whatever seat they want. Although I think they did just recently raise our monthly fee.

Gamma Rays

Large sized member
When we were kids, we thought that the best seats were the ones right at the front. "The screen's so huge! it's massive and awesome!"

Stupid stupid kids.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Tide27

I don't understand how these places are still open.

We have a very nice theater in our area and there is almost never any business at all. Even driving by it on a Fri / Sat night....maybe 20 cars in the parking lot only.

Back when large screen tvs were a luxury, I could see an appeal. However you can skip 1 or 2 family movie nights and damn near go buy yourself a 65 to 75 inch TV at Walmart these days....plus not spend $40+ on 1 or 2 buckets of popcorn + 3 drinks.

There is some outside money propping this business model up, because they don't make enough revenue to even cover building expenses anymore.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Cutlery

Kill All the White People
<Gold Donor>
They should pay you for sitting in the first row, to help pay for the Tylenol you’ll need to take after your neck is injured from looking up for 2-3 hours

I was dating a gal a few years ago who said we should go see some movie...I dont even remember what it was, some marvel movie. She insisted on sitting in the front row. I think it's a good thing to have those seats....helps you filter out the fucking psychos.

I slept the whole time, hence why I don't remember what movie it was.

• 3Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Cybsled

The worst was I went to see the 2nd LOTR movie on opening day and was forced to go front row. 3+ hours of staring straight up was fucking brutal

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Screenshotted>

Similar to music concerts, sporting events or Broadway, moviegoers will have the option to pay more or less for admission depending on where they choose to sit in the venue. In effect, front row seats will be available at a lower price, while seats in the middle of the theater will be available at a higher price.

The initiative kicks off on Friday at select AMC locations in New York, Chicago and Kansas City and will be expanded to all domestic AMC locations by the end of the year.

View attachment 457345

poked around and found a nyc place, $2 -/+. really thought there would been more value seats

View attachment 457350
that is normal chair prices, with recliners
View attachment 457352

Lol movie theaters, get aids AMC

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Lenardo

Vyemm Raider
ick. worst seats i had was front row on the side seeing Deadpool with wife kids sisinlaw and her family.

we had prime seats- this was right around when preselecting seats started- and the fucking projector broke so we just got tossed into another showing.

we did nab 16 free passes after the show though...

Deebo

Molten Core Raider
I don't understand how these places are still open.

We have a very nice theater in our area and there is almost never any business at all. Even driving by it on a Fri / Sat night....maybe 20 cars in the parking lot only.

Back when large screen tvs were a luxury, I could see an appeal. However you can skip 1 or 2 family movie nights and damn near go buy yourself a 65 to 75 inch TV at Walmart these days....plus not spend $40+ on 1 or 2 buckets of popcorn + 3 drinks.

There is some outside money propping this business model up, because they don't make enough revenue to even cover building expenses anymore.
Retail investors saved AMC, the same as Gamestop. Fuck hedge funds shorting it to death.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
But I like the seats they're not inflating, so now I might have to sit next to another human being

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
Sounds like a fucking nightmare for the min wage movie theater teenagers to try to enforce. Imagine your manager telling you that you have to go in and kick the black teenagers to the back of the theater.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
I may never go to a movie theater again. I have a huge tv. I can make popcorn. I have good beer at home. I have a comfy couch I know doesn't have bedbugs, and I don't have to listen to all the disgusting fucktards chewing popcorn so audibly that I have a hard time listening to the movie. I have space for 16 people to watch a movie at our house. And they'd be 16 invited people instead of strangers.

• 4Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users