American Gods

a_skeleton_00

<Banned>
Well they are going past the book he had to begin writing the next book just for the scripts for this, he said so in an interview so I'm hoping for big things!

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Kiki

Log Wizard
Gaiman can actually write a cohesive story even if he changes it every 5 minutes and I'm sure he's had plenty of ideas since he wrote the thing ages ago. Lost never had anything close to that.

• 1Like

Cantatus

Lord Nagafen Raider
So let me ask, why are we worried if that's the plan, the slow burn?

Everything they have added for the show has been awesome, the Vulcan episode alone caused some type of terminal cancer on both sides that spurned a political argument instead of just enjoying the ride.

Yeah, if this was just them going purely by the book and stretching things out, I'd be concerned. But, so far, the stuff they're using to help expand the story has been great. Going through the plot of the book may be a slow burn, but all the world building and more fleshed out characters hasn't made the show itself feel slow to me.

• 1Like

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
I really don't know how they plan to drag it out, but they do say they have new storyline (obviously as some episodes have been completely off-book). So maybe after the "main" storyline they can have an offshoot of just modern gods doing modern shit. I mean they basically do have an endless supply of characters to choose from.

I think they will drag it out just like this last episode. Complete backstory filler just to get to the reveal at the end.

• 1Like

Qhue

Trump's Staff
Trying to get things back on track:

This week answers the question of what a Sweeney and Dead Wife Olde Tyme Variety Hour would look like, and it would be amazing. I actually found myself forgetting that Emily Browning was playing both roles as she did an excellent job with both. We also got some grounding for the Coming to America framing sequences which also serves to keep Ibis and Anubis involved in the story.

If it was anyone else besides Neil Gaiman and Bryan Fuller I might be annoyed at spending 1 of 8 episodes on a side story, but goddamn if they don't have the chops to serve up all the cool anthology style bits while still keeping relevance to the expanded main plot.

• 1Like

Khane

Got something right about marriage
If we're on the LOST derail train. JJ Abrams just shouldn't be allowed to be a writer. He should be an idea man. A pitch guy.

He's great at coming up with an interesting premise. He sucks at actually writing a story. The only thing he knows is how to start one. I don't think that guy has ever actually finished a story in any sort of satisfying fashion.

That's not what is happening here. They're just milking shit for as much as they can because they know they have a sellable product with a Gaiman adaptation. For now.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

khalid

Unelected Mod
That's not what is happening here. They're just milking shit for as much as they can because they know they have a sellable product with a Gaiman adaptation. For now.

Or they are just taking time to tell a story and not worrying about how long it takes them to do it. Last week's episode was largely from the book. I expected that this story would be quickly glossed over in 5 to 10 minutes. Instead they spent a whole episode on it, which is what I hope they do for the other storylines. The book wasn't a high-adrenaline show rushing to plot points either, not sure why anyone would expect the tv show to be one.

If you want to watch a show that hurries to the plot and manages to kill a God or Demon every episode, there are always things like Supernatural.

• 2Like

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
If you want to watch a show that hurries to the plot and manages to kill a God or Demon every episode, there are always things like Supernatural.
310f045ff486b7a0cd9ef45b4f8cf9ac.gif

• 1Like

Royal

Connoisseur of Exotic Pictures
In addition to an Adventures of Mad Sweeney and Dead Wife series I'd also be down for a Story Time with Mr. Nancy show. Orlando Jones is great in that role.

And Mexican Jesus didn't stay dead very long.

• 1Like

Homsar

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Great finale, god damn the acting in the show was incredible a long with its style. Show is slow as shit but every actor killed it. Kristin Chenoweth was fantastic, really hard to even try to compare who did the best job in their roles, the also did amazing with the music

Bilquis and the Djinn were I think the parts that brought the show down

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Xevy

Log Wizard
I think it was more in reference to the Creationists who are now "pro-dinosaur" because kids love dinosaurs. The Creationism museum in Kentucky has people living with dinosaurs and stupid shit.

• 1Like

Royal

Connoisseur of Exotic Pictures
Young earthers. They think the planet is literally about 6000 years old and that since man was made the same day as everything else on dry land, then men and the dinos were contemporaries.

• 1Like

Qhue

Trump's Staff
That really was perfect casting for Easter. Is this a slow burn? Yeah it is, but Gaiman is taking this opportunity to refine things and I'm A-OK with it.

Oh and if Orlando Jones doesn't get at least a nomination for his turn as Mr. Nancy I may have to go smack a bitch.

Last edited:
  • 2Like

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
Did Laura say Mad Sweeney isn't a god?

Uhhh.. yeah he is

The writers are fucking with the rules

• 1Like

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
That really was perfect casting for Easter. Is this a slow burn? Yeah it is, but Gaiman is taking this opportunity to refine things and I'm A-OK with it.

Oh and if Orlando Jones doesn't get at least a nomination for his turn as Mr. Nancy I may have to go smack a bitch.

Kristen Chenoweth was great as Easter. Been a fan of hers since she was on Pushing Daisies.

• 2Like

Enzee

Trakanon Raider
Mad Sweeney is like a demigod/minor god. He's one of many potential leprechauns/faeries/'fair folk'/etc.. He's got some god like powers, but he's not a full god with an abstract domain of belief he rules over.
They said something similar about Jesus with Wednesday's rant about him being the SON of a God, that he still shits and eats or whatever it was he said. Except Jesus has WAY more believers in him then Mad Sweeney does, even accounting for all the variations diluting the worshiper power pool he's still got a ton more people praying to him then Sweeney. Yet, he's still not quite considered a god in the same way the others are (at least in Wednesday's eyes). He's not a representation of an abstract idea(s) that then came to life through belief. He was the other way around somewhat.

• 1Like