American Gods

iannis

Musty Nester
Its weird that they didn't mention thunderbird at ALL in the season, and they only mentioned the buffalo three times. That was an integral part of the central theme in the book. That was his narrative spine, from what I remember.

It's going to be a little odd when S2 lights up the Native American. It's going to feel abrupt.

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
Great finale, god damn the acting in the show was incredible a long with its style. Show is slow as shit but every actor killed it. Kristin Chenoweth was fantastic, really hard to even try to compare who did the best job in their roles, the also did amazing with the music

Bilquis and the Djinn were I think the parts that brought the show down

I even loved that Scott Thompson got a brief bit.

Qhue

Trump's Staff
I just now realized, while watching clips on the You Tubes, that American Gods got not one single Emmy nomination for acting. How the fuck is that possible?

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

velk

Trakanon Raider
I just now realized, while watching clips on the You Tubes, that American Gods got not one single Emmy nomination for acting. How the fuck is that possible?

It's not eligible, cutoff is 31/may. Probably up for next year though.

spronk

FPS noob
none of the acting was that good. I think Ian McShane is a god among men but he just was off in the show, imo. The main character was terrible. Gillian Anderson looked weird and plastic-y and moved like she was a stop motion claymation figure (maybe that was on purpose).

and yeah the first 5 episodes were eligible this year and they were really weird episodes, you need to see the whole show sorta for it to make sense and its a pretty easy argument that the last 2 or 3 episodes were the best.

Cybsled

The short season hurt things. I think a longer season with more scenes will help sell it, assuming people put on a good performance.

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
none of the acting was that good. I think Ian McShane is a god among men but he just was off in the show, imo. The main character was terrible. Gillian Anderson looked weird and plastic-y and moved like she was a stop motion claymation figure (maybe that was on purpose).

Yes, it was on purpose. She is the personification of stardom/fandom.

spronk

FPS noob
I think casting her was a mistake. Every time she came on screen all I could do was think "wait... is that gillian anderson? Nah, can't be. Wait, it is! Thats cool. Man, she was really hot on the last season of the x-files, especially that one scene where she is in her underwear. Fuck, I just missed everything she said."

Having some totally hot, young, unknown new actress woulda been the smarter play I would think, if she was supposed to be stardom/fandom, which totally went over my head. I thought she was like... TV lol, since she kept playing out stuff from old TV sitcom shows.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
I think casting her was a mistake. Every time she came on screen all I could do was think "wait... is that gillian anderson? Nah, can't be. Wait, it is! Thats cool. Man, she was really hot on the last season of the x-files, especially that one scene where she is in her underwear. Fuck, I just missed everything she said."

Having some totally hot, young, unknown new actress woulda been the smarter play I would think, if she was supposed to be stardom/fandom, which totally went over my head. I thought she was like... TV lol, since she kept playing out stuff from old TV sitcom shows.
Media is her name so you were essentially correct.

I felt she was perfect for it myself.

Enzee

Trakanon Raider
I mean, she's 'media' so she's the personification of our worship/infatuation with all things media. That's basically fame, but when she comes to visit Easter she says the two of them have a standing date. i.e. Easter getting plastered all over the media in the real world. She'd likely have a similar arrangement with some halloween-ish god, valentine's, etc.. which isn't the same as a celebrity's fame, but similar. They all fall under her domain.

Cantatus

Lord Nagafen Raider

Of the four characters she appeared as this season, only one was from TV (Lucy). The others were Marilyn Monroe from The Seven Year Itch, Judy Garland from Easter Parade, and David Bowie. Though, I suppose David Bowie could technically be considered to be from TV since she was dressed the way he was in the Life on Mars music video, but I think the point was to show she's all forms of entertainment - tv, movies, and music.

Haus

<Silver Donator>
Yeah, that concerns me greatly. Unless they realized it was, at best, a two season show and didn't think they could do the final season justice and don't want to be attached to a dumpster fire?

Tarisk

Pathetic Reaction Bot
What's shocking to me is how old some movies already are and how old I feel. I never realized til recently that Laura Moon is the little girl from Ghost Ship:
SG_130167_Browning_young.jpg