American Gods

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider

velk

Trakanon Raider
GoT, Westworld and Rome were all 10m an episode. Those guys are cocksuckers. 10m is standard for a series.

I'd say more 'holy shit that's expensive' rather than 'standard' for a tv series, given those 3 are like the most expensive tv series ever made ?

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
GoT more than earns its budget back, and Rome was cancelled due to its budget. Westworld probably isn't long for this world either if it keeps going as it is. I'm assuming that Starz doesn't quite have the freedom that HBO does when it comes to funding a really expensive show, although I'm not sure how it also being on Amazon prime plays into that.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
I'd say more 'holy shit that's expensive' rather than 'standard' for a tv series, given those 3 are like the most expensive tv series ever made ?

Sure.

Vinyl was 10m. 100 million dollar total to produce Season 1.

And that's not a big series or franchise. It's fairly standard for a premium subscription cable series.

Tell me how big Vinyl is?

• 1Like

iannis

Musty Nester
I liked S1. It helps a whole lot to have read the book. I'd have probably liked it less if I didn't already know the rough plot points.

WAR OF THE GODS TIME. HYPE.

I wonder how they're even gonna approach it. From what I remember in S1 there was no mention of Thunderbird, and Thunderbird was central to the book plot at this point. Been a few years since I read it though, maybe my memory is slanted.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Tarisk

Pathetic Reaction Bot
I just hope we see more of Peter Stormare's character(Czernobog). I really just like the actor a lot even though he's usually just minor roles in everything.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Smithy

Trakanon Raider
American Gods
The Secret of Spoons
Season: 1
Episode: 2
Air date: 2017-05-07

Guest stars: Orlando Jones, Peter Stormare, Mousa Kraish, Martha Kelly, Cloris Leachman
As Mr. Wednesday begins recruitment for the coming battle, Shadow Moon travels with him to Chicago and agrees to a very high stakes game of checkers with the old Slavic god, Czernobog.

My friend showed me this show, and it's one of the few shows that was egregiously bad in such a way that it legitimately pisses me off. The main character is fucking garbage, such an extreme variation of the 'Only Sane Man' trope that it makes the entire show infuriating to watch. Literally he's just a dude who's job is to be the relatable source of stability and suffer as much as possible, but not in a cool or interesting way. The 'gods' are fucking lame, psychotic and evil, the plot goes nowhere and the exposition is fucking terrible. Like there was a point where I was interested in finding out what is going on and understanding the setting, but the more shitty evil characters that are introduced and the more regular dude just sits there taking it, the less shits I still give.

Then there's the SJW shit that would ruin it even more if it wasn't scraping rock bottom. It's been a long time since I've seen garbage this terrible, the only redeeming quality is the acting for Wednesday, but no amount of good acting can keep me interested in an otherwise shit character.

• 2Like
  • 1Picard

Mudcrush Durtfeet

Hungry Ogre
2744552-3lRIm0Ksi8X6vvmSldiiaYEOgne.jpg

The Secret of Spoons

Season: 1
Episode: 2
Air date: 2017-05-07

Guest stars: Orlando Jones, Peter Stormare, Mousa Kraish, Martha Kelly, Cloris Leachman

As Mr. Wednesday begins recruitment for the coming battle, Shadow Moon travels with him to Chicago and agrees to a very high stakes game of checkers with the old Slavic god, Czernobog.

My friend showed me this show, and it's one of the few shows that was egregiously bad in such a way that it legitimately pisses me off. The main character is fucking garbage, such an extreme variation of the 'Only Sane Man' trope that it makes the entire show infuriating to watch. Literally he's just a dude who's job is to be the relatable source of stability and suffer as much as possible, but not in a cool or interesting way. The 'gods' are fucking lame, psychotic and evil, the plot goes nowhere and the exposition is fucking terrible. Like there was a point where I was interested in finding out what is going on and understanding the setting, but the more shitty evil characters that are introduced and the more regular dude just sits there taking it, the less shits I still give.

Then there's the SJW shit that would ruin it even more if it wasn't scraping rock bottom. It's been a long time since I've seen garbage this terrible, the only redeeming quality is the acting for Wednesday, but no amount of good acting can keep me interested in an otherwise shit character.

You're completely wrong about the main character in an important way. Despite some good moments, the first season is in fact kind of garbage. Supposedly the next season will adhere a bit more closely to the book, but we'll see.

• 1Like

iannis

Musty Nester
The book is better. Without having read it first I might agree that the show is crap. With the book as a backdrop though the show is a nice visualization of these ideas.

The book fleshed out shadow. He is something of an intentional mystery, and his name is intentional. And the wife was less fleshed out, which is important. She was more just his yearning, not a comic relief zombie.

• 1Like

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
Yeah I hated the wife not staying dead the most out of everything else I hated.

• 2Like

gak

<Gold Donor>
Ya it's terrible, but we still watched it because it was different and we like lovejoy and mad sweeney.

l.gif

• 1Like

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
Gaiman's books are always best as books, but the first season was decent. Am looking forward to this.

• 1Like

spronk

FPS noob
episode 1 of season 2 is up on streaming Starz and the usual places

• 2Like

Enzee

Trakanon Raider
Man, I don't know if I just have some kind of fetish for modern fantasy style stories, or some people just have no taste.. This is one of my favorite shows to come along in years. I could understand it not being your favorite, but anyone bashing on it as 'garbage' just confuses the hell out of me. The cinematography and look of the show ranges from good to great. The amount of detail they've put into the sets, clothing, etc.. is amazing. Re-watching some of the episodes afterwards made me notice a lot of stuff I missed on the first go around.

The acting has been solid all-around. Shadow moon is the least 'interesting' because he's playing a mostly normal dude to this point, but that isn't the actor's fault. He still has his moments of charisma or intensity. Ian McShane is killing it as Wednesday, naturally, but so are most of the other Gods. I think Bilquis has been my least favorite, but that's mainly because she doesn't say much, which seems to be a conscious characteristic decision. Seduction/Lust isn't really about what you are saying, so I could see why they'd have that character be somewhat quiet compared to say... a story telling God, like nancy.

The backstage/carousel scene in the season 2 opener was awesome. Seeing all the Gods in their... cosmic form?, was really cool. I thought that new Goddess was gonna be Kali, and while I don't remember what they said her God name was, I think it was said and it wasn't that. Then again, after a quick little google search, I just realized that 'Kali' is just a form/avatar of Parvati that is known to fight demons? I thought Kali was actually a war god, so seems I had some mixed up info.

Anyway, maybe the storyline will fall off the deep end and end up without a satisfactory conclusion, but so far it has created a great setting with a good hook. I don't know how big the book is, or if there is just one, but I'm hoping there is enough content for more than 3 seasons without dragging it out. This is the closest thing to replacing GoT for when that ends this year.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity