American Gods

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I always love seeing peoples Sonarr calendars. You can always tell who is married or not.

Not familiar with it - looks like it's Plex + an automated torrent DVR? Is that right? If so, I may have to join that club.

Crone

Not familiar with it - looks like it's Plex + an automated torrent DVR? Is that right? If so, I may have to join that club.
Between learning about Steam for streaming EQ, and now about usenets, Sonarr, and how it works with Plex you are in for a tech explosion in your life.

But it does baffle me how someone who frequents this forum doesn't at least know about all this stuff, even if not actively using it?

Lenas

Trump's Staff
On topic: first episode was awesome and I know nothing of the book

Off topic: so, Sonarr is like a better Sickrage?

Vaclav

Between learning about Steam for streaming EQ, and now about usenets, Sonarr, and how it works with Plex you are in for a tech explosion in your life.

But it does baffle me how someone who frequents this forum doesn't at least know about all this stuff, even if not actively using it?

My activity waxes and wanes alot - and when it comes to these sections I'm a rare visitor. The Steam streaming thing I've got no clue how I missed that it worked with EQ (I'm familiar with Steam streaming overall though - just never mused it working as a means to make boxing Phin easier and if there were mentions here, must've overlooked) - but for Sonarr, considering the amount of time I spend outside of the game sections it's not too shocking. This section generates a thread I pay attention to maybe twice a year. (Usenets/newsgroups aren't a new thing for me though, but I've not bothered with them since P2P became a thing however - only used them back the days of direct downloading)

On top of that, until Spectrum started shitting the bed with a few of the channels being reliable I was content with physical DVRing most of my stuff. Last month or so BBC-A, FXX and even standard FOX reasonably often are fubar'ed and it's been going on for months now that the local office claims is out of their control. [And it's basically a monopoly for them here - DSL is the only "broadband" competition]

Qhue

Trump's Staff
Now begins the process of sitting everyone I know down in front of a screen so as to share the collective experience. Starz execs must be bouncing off the walls in sure bliss this AM.

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
That was really gooooood! Never read the books, and only skimmed the Ars Technica review I posted earlier, but if the series can maintain the vibe in episode one, then we're in for a treat. Ian McShane seemed to really enjoy playing Wednesday!

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
As not a book reader, the first episode was good not great. Show could end up being great for me though.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Xevy

Log Wizard
I read the book and the first episode was alright, but honestly I don't remember half the shit that happens. I read the book like 5 years ago and it's less than 300 pages iirc, not a series or anything, so I'm not sure how they're going multiple seasons. Obviously the premise of the show could easily be a series, but after Gaiman's body of work who knows wtf they would do.

That said it seemed a bit too artsy, but I think that's what they're going for. Ian McShane obviously ruled, and Shadow was pretty close to what I imagined, except I remember him talking less than he does, but that's probably because in the book it's all internal monologue.

Aldarion

Egg Nazi
Ep 1 was much more fun than the book. The world was always great, but the writing just left me not caring about anyone. I'm in.

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
First episode was pretty good. Can't believe they did the whole Bilquis scene.

Also apparently Gaiman has a shitload of pull on the show.
The end of the episode, at the funeral, the show writers wanted Shadow Moon to let Robbie's wife give him a blow job. In the book he just blows her off about the offer. Gaiman was adamant that it was not in Shadow Moon's character to do that. He told them that if they did, he'd write a suicide note telling his fans what they did and then he would go and step in front of a bus. They changed the scene to the hug the next day.

Homsar

I read some of the reviews criticizing the pilot and they are fucking retarded. Forbes pretty much thought it was going to be like the Sookie Stackhouse piles of shit even though they say they already read Neil Gaimans books/American Gods and were disappointed they werent like True blood. Go fuck yourself retards

Vorph

it's less than 300 pages iirc
Er, no. My hardcover is 461 pages, not including acknowledgements. There's plenty of stuff in the book which could have been done in far greater detail too, and with Gaiman being directly involved with the show I'd assume that's what they are planning on doing.

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
First episode was pretty good. Can't believe they did the whole Bilquis scene.

Also apparently Gaiman has a shitload of pull on the show.
The end of the episode, at the funeral, the show writers wanted Shadow Moon to let Robbie's wife give him a blow job. In the book he just blows her off about the offer. Gaiman was adamant that it was not in Shadow Moon's character to do that. He told them that if they did, he'd write a suicide note telling his fans what they did and then he would go and step in front of a bus. They changed the scene to the hug the next day.

Good sign

Homsar

From the interviews i've read Gaiman comes off as knowing the potential of the book and realizes he should have expanded the story.

A lot of the characters that were minor in the book have expanded roles like Bilquis ect, I am waiting for a bunch of back filler on characters like Laura and Robbie which could end up sucking since thats the last thing I care about. I am curious about the new characters like Corbin Bernsen as Vulcan (God of Volcano and Forge) and lets not forget we get Gillian Anderson and Media

Surprised more people werent happy to the changes of technical boy, I was expecting to hate his scenes but the actor did a great job.

american-gods-220292.jpg

gillian-anderson-as-lucille-ball-2-823x1024.jpg

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user