American Gods

Wombat

Trakanon Raider
I'd have to think that episode was utterly incomprehensible to anyone not familiar with the book.

Speaking of which, it's been a long time since I read the book, but doesn't one of the Vikings get hung in the book intro? Not connecting those dots in the TV version just turns the ending into an ugly lynching scenario and makes the resolution even more bewildering to the TV-only audience.

Homsar

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I'd have to think that episode was utterly incomprehensible to anyone not familiar with the book.

Speaking of which, it's been a long time since I read the book, but doesn't one of the Vikings get hung in the book intro? Not connecting those dots in the TV version just turns the ending into an ugly lynching scenario and makes the resolution even more bewildering to the TV-only audience.
No worse than GoT. Only issues I've seen was because my girlfriend always falls asleep when watching tv. Same shit happens with every other show that isnt formulaic, you arent supposed to know what is going on, this is fantasy just like GoT

sneakyflute

Golden Squire
I'm not familiar with the book and didn't find it confusing. It does have the signature Bryan Fuller weirdness, though.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
I showed it to someone and thought I might have to explain some bits afterward as he is unfamiliar with the source material, but he followed along quite well and picked up on all the important beats. He has read Sandman, however, and so is familiar with the Neil Gaiman narrative legerdemain.

• 1Like

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
They cut out one of my favorite lines already. :(

Although given the weather, it might as well be Thursday, eh?

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

DaliLhama

Golden Squire
Well ok, odd show but anyone else wanted to punch that animated face of that women in the graveyard scene, shit looked so fucking odd and strange.Was cgi mixed in that shot cause fuck me i was swinging at her as she spoke at times. Was freaking me out....the way her upper lip was moving in proportion to the rest of her face...wtf. Guess thats what they are going for though, ill enjoy the ride!

• 1Like

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
First episode delivered. I haven't read the book and don't know anything about the story and I loved the intro episode.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
This thread has made me realize that American Gods was not nearly as big of a book as I had assumed it was. Just had kinda figured damn near everyone had read it.

Enzee

Trakanon Raider
I haven't read the books, and I wasn't confused by the first episode. It left a lot of things very vague and open ended, but the atmosphere was perfect. Even though I had no idea who the dude in the digital limo was, I got the general idea of what was going on as he talked. The whole sequence was bizarre, but that was obviously the point.

Seems like he's a 'modern' god and he's trying to keep his power over the world from the 'old' gods like Wednesday. I'm curious who exactly saved Shadow Moon at the end, but that's the point, it was a cliffhanger. I'm thinking either a god of death/graveyards (since they lingered on the shot of the coin, it was like he was 'paying' a gold coin to the dirt/underworld, which is a common myth among many religions) or Wednesday, or a henchmen, was watching over him.

Royal

Connoisseur of Exotic Pictures
Well that was about 3 dick shots more than I was hoping for going into this episode.

Last edited:
  • 1Solidarity

Cybsled

Finally got around to watching this. The changes to technical boy are appropriate, considering how we regard the internet and technology now since the book came out a little after 2000. Some youtube-like star having an army of literally faceless/anonymous thugs do his dirty work is more accurate than the fat hacker dude in the book.

ShakyJake

<Donor>

Yeah, this series is reminding me of FX's Legion. It's cool and all, but if you're not familiar with the source material you're probably left wondering WTF is going on.

And, wow, Gillian Anderson did look a lot like Lucille Ball.

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
I have no fucking idea what the hell is going on in this show but I like it!

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Yea, I can see people not liking the show since some of the scenes are so stylistic, but for me, it has been great!

Kinda curious about the guy floating out in space, is he also one of the old gods?

• 1Like

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
The super stylistic look is one of my favorite things. Acting has been great as well.

I thought the guy floating out in space was one of that chick's vagina-victims.