American Gods

Drakurii

Golden Baron of the Realm
season 2 was too much BLM shit, they got rid of...
1610260106769.png
so I have high hopes for season 3

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Animosity

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Yea season 2 was a disaster. I really hope this show rebounds back to season 1 quality. But the promo of Shadow with long emo hair doesnt give me hope.

Xevy

Log Wizard
First episode is okay. I already feel the shitposters coming for a big change. No big OH SHIT moment in episode 1 though like you'd expect from a series like this.

Sterling

El Presidente
Not an awful first episode to the new season. First season was better than the second season. Show has a lot of good moments and some really good individual performances but it's really inconsistent. Too many ups and downs for it to be exceptional.

Lenas

Trump's Staff
I didn't know this was going to be back already, but I actually enjoyed the first episode more than expected. Finally a sense that there will be some answers.

Sterling

El Presidente
The little intro scenes are awesome. This episode was pretty slow, but the Chicago stuff was good times.

Grez

Molten Core Raider
Odin is supposed to be a wise God obsessed with gaining more wisdom, but I don't see much wisdom in his actions throughout this show. I can't help but wonder if he's Loki in desguise pretending to be Odin. Maybe the less followers he has the less wise he is?

Last edited:

Haus

<Silver Donator>
Odin is supposed to be a wise God obsessed with gaining more wisdom, but I don't see much wisdom in his actions throughout this show. I can't help but wonder if he's Loki in desguise pretending to be Odin. Maybe the less followers he has the less wise he is?

I'm pretty sure this either hasn't really been explained yet in the show (I still haven't watched most of season 2). But there's a premise that kinda explains it in the books.

Gods are brought into existence by belief of people. The Odin you see here ISN'T the Odin from the Norse lands. He's the result of a small set of Norse who landed in the new world, and when encountering the natives sacrified one to gain Odin's favor. This Odin was created because it was such a separate event so he was molded after what that small set of men believed. If you're a coder, imagine forking a code build and making your own. American Odin is a Fork off European Odin. Similar, but different. In the books Shadow eventually takes American Odin's eye overseas and meets the original who explains "He was part of me, but I am not him..." or something along those lines.

Same reason Anansi in the new world isn't dressed like an African tribal spider god....

Same reason you saw all the different Jesus' at Easter's chateau, each one was from a different sect of Christianity who believed in a SLIGHTLY different Jesus.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Cybsled

Right. It's thoughtform. FFXIV uses the same idea for primals: The primal is ultimately shaped by the ideas/beliefs of the believers and what they -think- the primal should be, even if it isn't actually an accurate representation.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Kyougou

<Gold Donor>
Right. It's thoughtform. FFXIV uses the same idea for primals: The primal is ultimately shaped by the ideas/beliefs of the believers and what they -think- the primal should be, even if it isn't actually an accurate representation.
This is correct, there might even be different forms of the very same God if different people came up with different beliefs, its not about what they were in the start either... its about what they are in the beliefs of the ones that brought them to America. It is a story about American Gods after all.

Grez

Molten Core Raider
I'm pretty sure this either hasn't really been explained yet in the show (I still haven't watched most of season 2). But there's a premise that kinda explains it in the books.

Gods are brought into existence by belief of people. The Odin you see here ISN'T the Odin from the Norse lands. He's the result of a small set of Norse who landed in the new world, and when encountering the natives sacrified one to gain Odin's favor. This Odin was created because it was such a separate event so he was molded after what that small set of men believed. If you're a coder, imagine forking a code build and making your own. American Odin is a Fork off European Odin. Similar, but different. In the books Shadow eventually takes American Odin's eye overseas and meets the original who explains "He was part of me, but I am not him..." or something along those lines.

Same reason Anansi in the new world isn't dressed like an African tribal spider god....

Same reason you saw all the different Jesus' at Easter's chateau, each one was from a different sect of Christianity who believed in a SLIGHTLY different Jesus.
So when Mad Sweeny, the Leprechaun, recalls how Odin invaded Ireland, it never actually happened? His memories are just made up from the stories and legends brought to America?

Haus

<Silver Donator>
So when Mad Sweeny, the Leprechaun, recalls how Odin invaded Ireland, it never actually happened? His memories are just made up from the stories and legends brought to America?

Probably. There's some ambiguity of how much of a "forked clone version" of a God remembers from the original. That and it's been years since I read the book..

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider

They cover it in the show pretty well with the easter episode and all the various easter jesuses.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Xevy

Log Wizard
Man I hope they bring back Sweeney, but Pablo Shreiber is playing Master Chief in the live action Halo so that's why I imagine he's written out if albeit temporarily.

I liked Tech Boy for most of the season but he was a little too hammy in this episode. Tone that shit down. Big clue dropped in this episode about something, but not going to spoiler it for people who don't know.

Also Crispin still in the show, thought he was written out like Gillian Anderson, but maybe he just had limited availability or something.