American Sniper

Fadaar

That guy
This weird quasi veteran worship thats going on now. Hurt Locker was fucking terrible, like off the fucking walls 100% unrealistic depiction of what was going on in Iraq yet it won.
I saw Hurt Locker and while it was entertaining I didn't understand the giant bonerfest around it

ohkcrlho

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Don't know shit about iraq's reality but when renner's character started going Rambo in baghdad, in the middle of the fucking night, i was like "da fuck?"
Maybe if you are a military and/or have been serving in iraq, it's a great movie. For the others....meh

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
So what would armed forcesbros say is the most realistic portrayal of war in film/television?

My favorite is Black Hawk Down, so please don't tell me that one sucks
frown.png

Cybsled

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
My grandfather used to say that Band of Brothers got it pretty close, primarily because it focused on the non-fighting stuff as well and the interactions between people in the unit. He passed away before The Pacific came out, which I had hoped he would be able to see and give input on, since he was in the 1st Marine Division and fought in most of the battles portrayed in that show. One thing I can confirm the show left out, based on something he once told me, is after that battle at the river,the salt water crocs decided to help themselves to the bodies of the dead. He used to tell me it was hard to sleep more than usual because you heard them eating at night.

TomServo

<Bronze Donator>
Generation Kill was probably the most realistic potrayal of the gulf wars, from what my buddys who served have said.

Voyce

Shit Lord Supreme
<Donor>
I saw it, it was ok, but a very procedural/formulaic movie. I think that Eastwood went out of his way to make sure any particular scene couldn't be clipped and rebroadcast in away that took it out of context. I have no idea who Chris Kyle was, but I noticed how the entire movie, he never speaks out of turn or rarely expressed extremely intense emotions, especially in arguments with his wife, which came off as one sided, since Bradley Cooper never comes off as cross or angry or even defensive, and maybe that's just the way Chris Kyle carried himself, but that's what stuck out to me the most, Kyle kind of stayed in a composed Zen Buddhist manner which felt suspect to me.

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
I felt like there was no build up or decline. Just a straight line.

Go to war, shoot people.
Come home, wife mad.
Go to war, shoot people.
Come home, wife mad.
Go to war, shoot people.
Come home, wife mad.
Go to war, tell wife coming home.
Go home, wife happy.
Die

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
So what would armed forcesbros say is the most realistic portrayal of war in film/television?

frown.png
BHD good movie. Although the politics aspect of is way of base. The reason the ground rescue took so long is because of planning and logistical issues, not the Pakistanis purposely being dicks as the movie implies.

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
frown.png
A friend of mine was in Delta Force and knew all the guys that were portrayed in Black Hawk Down. He missed being in Mogadishu himself by a small margin. According to him, the combat portions were pretty much dead-on (he didn't comment on the politics). He and his wife had to leave the theater halfway through the film because she had a total breakdown watching their friends get killed.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
BHD good movie. Although the politics aspect of is way of base. The reason the ground rescue took so long is because of planning and logistical issues, not the Pakistanis purposely being dicks as the movie implies.
What? The movie doesn't imply that at all. It was a clusterfuck because no contingency plans had been prepared beforehand with the U.N. forces. The APC drivers were Malaysian, not Pakistani. IIRC the shit about the APCs having no room was straight out of the books too.

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
I found this to be an enormous pile of jingoistic nonsense. Not a damn thing in it wasn't done better in Generation Kill, Hurt Locker or Zero Dark Thirty. It was like watching a Blair Witch found footage movie about Rambo, and was about as believable (meaning a bunch of hicks in flyover country will believe it was true).

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
You want to watch current stuff that is fairly accurate watch the mini-series Generation Kill.
Yeah, that's pretty dead on. I was never in a unit with women, but basically just imagine a bunch of 18-22 year olds and a lot of super homoeroticism and that's that military.

Sterling

El Presidente
While this movie certainly isn't great, not sure how anyone would think it's worse than The Hurt Locker. Also Blackhawk Down is awesome.

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
While this movie certainly isn't great, not sure how anyone would think it's worse than The Hurt Locker. Also Blackhawk Down is awesome.
If it had come out first, Hurt Locker would be the one to feel like a retread. They cover the exact same ground, and there's nothing new in this one except this guy is some kind of cowboy Rambo superman.