Ancient Civilizations

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Personally what I'm thinking at this point is that the Great Flood had something to do with Gibraltar and the Mediterranean overflowing.

Atlas was the "son of Poseidon" but also the king of Atlantis. Sounds to me like the Greeks embellishing mythology of the actual king of Atlantis after the city got submerged and crumbled away. It was probably known as "that underwater city" for thousands of years at one time before it became dust, so people made up stories that it had always been underwater.

The Atlas Mountains are just south of Gibraltar. Atlas "holding up the world" and dropping the west edge of it might be referring to Gibraltar breaking, causing a massive flood into the Mediterranean (which then rebounded across Africa, obliterating whatever civilization lived there).

1690574478649.png

The Mediterranean seafloor also has a substantial variety of elevations, and most interestingly, the center area is a much higher elevation than the east or west areas. If the Atlantic really did burst through Gibraltar and flood the Mediterranean, then before that the actual main sea could have just been the eastern area between modern Sicily and Israel, with two smaller seas in the west side, and a ton of usable farmland between Italy/Yugoslavia and Sicily/Libya. Then the flood would have obliterated a lot of that central high-elevation area and connected the two sides to create the modern Mediterranean, in addition to possibly flooding the surrounding areas and destroying all manner of ancient routes in north Africa.

Atlas, Atlantis, Atlantic, I think all of these words and their associated legends are rooted in the same era and the same cataclysmic events.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
you have no idea what you're talking about because you have no idea what that region of Africa was like 12-15000 years ago. you can doubt all day long, but you have no basis for your doubts because nobody knows what happened. there really is no point arguing with you because your speculation and mine is just speculation.

This. Elevations change, and that part of the world in particular went through MASSIVE changes in the past 10-15,000 years on pretty much every level. There could have been a time when Richat was considerably closer to the ocean's edge than the 80km or whatever it is now. We really don't know. Atlantis might have also been located near or in the Mediterranean and been destroyed when it filled in, if Richat really is a natural formation.

All I'm saying in all of this is that it makes total sense linguistically that Atlas Mountains, Atlantic Ocean, etc are all intrinsically linked with Mauritania and that part of the world where this structure happens to be that does match the 3-ring structure described by Plato and the passed-down stories.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Chris

Potato del Grande
Atlas, Atlantis, Atlantic, I think all of these words and their associated legends are rooted in the same era and the same cataclysmic events.
All I'm saying in all of this is that it makes total sense linguistically that Atlas Mountains, Atlantic Ocean, etc are all intrinsically linked with Mauritania and that part of the world where this structure happens to be that does match the 3-ring structure described by Plato and the passed-down stories.
I'm really doubting your intelligence if you think that these words being similar is some sort of davinci code style revelation. I don't need to google it to know they are all from the same root.

Can you find a scenario where a 400km high feature can be at sea level?

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
This is why no one takes Ancient Civilizations seriously

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Can you find a scenario where a 400km high feature can be at sea level?

Tectonics can do all kinds of wondrous things, yes, including pushing a landform up a few hundred feet beyond where it was previously over a short span of time. A massive earthquake in the area could have done this, and that very thing could have also caused a mega-flood. I still think the flood is more likely to be connected to Gibraltar, scientists would say it's more likely to be because of the end of the ice age. Hell, all three might have occurred over a couple thousand years, that's plenty of time. That ancient civilization might have gotten absolutely pummelled for all we know.

I'm really doubting your intelligence if you think that these words being similar is some sort of davinci code style revelation.

The words being similar is just interesting, that they all had their roots in the same sphere of speech. I'm using a bit of creative putting of two and two together to think "Atlas dropping the world" // has something to do with Atlas' kingdom being right next to Gibraltar which we think blew up at some point and let water in // has something to do with all of the myths of his city being underwater for eons // has something to do with the Great Flood.

If I did all of my thinking in a rigid box, I'm sure none of this would make any sense to me either.

Chris

Potato del Grande
Tectonics can do all kinds of wondrous things, yes, including pushing a landform up a few hundred feet beyond where it was previously over a short span of time. A massive earthquake in the area could have done this, and that very thing could have also caused a mega-flood. I still think the flood is more likely to be connected to Gibraltar, scientists would say it's more likely to be because of the end of the ice age. Hell, all three might have occurred over a couple thousand years, that's plenty of time. That ancient civilization might have gotten absolutely pummelled for all we know.

The words being similar is just interesting, that they all had their roots in the same sphere of speech. I'm using a bit of creative putting of two and two together to think "Atlas dropping the world" // has something to do with Atlas' kingdom being right next to Gibraltar which we think blew up at some point and let water in // has something to do with all of the myths of his city being underwater for eons // has something to do with the Great Flood.

If I did all of my thinking in a rigid box, I'm sure none of this would make any sense to me either.
So the Atlas Mountains are at 4000m, so how does a flood at Gibraltar at 0m go over 4000m mountains to flood a 400m structure?

The Greeks just used "Atlas" as a name for the end of the world in the west since Atlas was supposed to be holding the world up. That's why multiple features bear the name.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
So the Atlas Mountains are at 4000m, so how does a flood at Gibraltar at 0m go over 4000m mountains to flood a 400m structure?

The Greeks just used "Atlas" as a name for the end of the world in the west since Atlas was supposed to be holding the world up. That's why multiple features bear the name.
except you just made that up.
class002.jpg

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
Floods can cause huge elevation changes as the weight of new waters can cause whole plates to shift and tilt or snap in half etc.

There are ancient remains of coastal plants found in high elevations in south america for instance.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Loser Araysar

<Gold Donor>
Its so weird how often the proponents of Atlantis use argument tricks like "we just dont know" or "[X] can do wondrous things".

Almost as if their argument have no evidentary basis whatsoever and are built mostly on pure hopium.

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
The Atlas Mountains are just south of Gibraltar. Atlas "holding up the world" and dropping the west edge of it might be referring to Gibraltar breaking, causing a massive flood into the Mediterranean (which then rebounded across Africa, obliterating whatever civilization lived there).
Doubtful. The Zanclean Flood (which is the breakup of the Gibraltar dam and refilling of the Mediterranean you describe) occured around 6 million years ago. At the time, our ancestors were either still ancestors of the Chimpanzees or close cousins of those. Zero chance anyone remotely "human" was around.

(unless you read Julian May's Pleistocene Saga sci-fi, that is)

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
There used to be an video from a conference a few years back where a guy had gathered all events of old objects that could be roughly dated by geological layer. I posted about it here The Paranormal, UFO's, and Mysteries of the Unknown

But the video is removed. Most going back millions were mortar and pestle type objects that you might expect primitive humanoids to utilize, but a few were metal.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Chris

Potato del Grande
Floods can cause huge elevation changes as the weight of new waters can cause whole plates to shift and tilt or snap in half etc.

There are ancient remains of coastal plants found in high elevations in south america for instance.
Right but these processes take hundreds of millions of years.

We are talking about in the last 10k years.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
except you just made that up.
class002.jpg

Something else that occurred to me yesterday is that Spain for a long time was called Catalan. Atalan. Atlas' Land.

It's interesting to me that all of the Atlas-named areas were in either Mauritania, Morocco, Algeria, or Spain. Pretty much all in the same grouping. Greeks may have used "Atlas" to refer to the edges of the world, but they didn't name any other areas east/north/south after that naming scheme. Only the west edges of Europe and northwest Africa.

• 1Like

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Something else that occurred to me yesterday is that Spain for a long time was called Catalan. Atalan. Atlas' Land.

It's interesting to me that all of the Atlas-named areas were in either Mauritania, Morocco, Algeria, or Spain. Pretty much all in the same grouping. Greeks may have used "Atlas" to refer to the edges of the world, but they didn't name any other areas east/north/south after that naming scheme. Only the west edges of Europe and northwest Africa.
yup. Atlas wasnt the bottom or edge of the world even to the greeks. its just a bunch of copium to explain away why Atlantis is known in that region. a lot of people who should know better dont want certain narratives dis-proven. its ok. more shocking when they are shown proof and it sticks right up their ass. Zawi Hawass still refuses to admit Gobekli Tepe even exists because it destroys the narrative about the Giza Pyramids being 4k years old.

Loser Araysar

<Gold Donor>
yup. Atlas wasnt the bottom or edge of the world even to the greeks. its just a bunch of copium to explain away why Atlantis is known in that region. a lot of people who should know better dont want certain narratives dis-proven. its ok. more shocking when they are shown proof and it sticks right up their ass. Zawi Hawass still refuses to admit Gobekli Tepe even exists because it destroys the narrative about the Giza Pyramids being 4k years old.

So tiresome.

Pulls up a map of "world according to herodotus" and then pretends like it was the map of the entirety of ancient geographical knowledge.

The reason Gibraltar was considered the end of the world during the era of Ancient Greece is because no one crossed the Atlantic for another 1500 years, whereas ancient greeks traveled as far as China which isnt even on this map.

You are the flat earther version of ancient civs.

Chris

Potato del Grande

Why is it interesting? That's what they called that part of the world, specifically the western limit of their maps. They knew there was more stuff to the north/south/east because people came from those places to trade, nobody came from the west past Spain/Morocco. You keep saying this like it's a great relevation.

Catalonia - Wikipedia check the etymology section, there's nothing there about it inexplicably being C + Atlas + the english word "Land".

Lenardo

Vyemm Raider
a long time ago there might have been- like cad says- land filling in the area of gibralter and the mediteranean sea much much lower suddenly it let go, impact, earthquake, whatever and the atlantic just started flooding in and raised sea level in the med by a few hundred feet. while dropping ocean level by MAYBE a foot. of you look at a map of the ocean floor in that area, there is an area that COULD be the result of flowing water eroding the ground. or not. i mean WHY is the water so deep JUST THERE at gibraltar. the water is ~500-1000 feet deeper than the surrounding area....scouring action MAYBE?

i would love to have a telescope out ~5-20k light years large enough to see detail on the planet and be able to observe what was going on. back then, was the richat a lake, was the med much much lower, how "advanced" were the people back then, etc

Last edited:
  • 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
i would love to have a telescope out ~5-20k light years large enough to see detail on the planet and be able to observe what was going on. back then, was the richat a lake, was the med much much lower, how "advanced" were the people back then, etc

Shouldn't this technically be possible with some advanced technology to use gravitational lensing to be able to observe information from your location xyz thousand or millions of years ago?

• 1Picard