Ancient Civilizations

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
Recent paper on pictish genetics:
In summary, they still don't know a damn thing. Just not enough bodies to study up there I guess.

The Scythian origin story is cool. They arrived via ship from the steppe, coming through the black sea -> the med -> Gibraltar and up the coast. It was all men so they stopped in Ireland and the irish gave them wives, but insisted on inheritance from the female side for the kings.

Scythians were intensely patriarichal, so not sure how or if they convinced them to stick to that idea. They think the wives may have returned to ireland for burial as well, further muddying the genetic waters and ability to study graves of elites.

My guess is the wives were considered elves, which is a big boost to a king's royalty score. I suspect some of the elves in the scandi kings lists were just irish women.

Edit: Can you imagine Scythians without horses? Also if you think about the path of the journey, it would make more sense that they paid for passage north. Maybe they were an exiled tribe running from justice. They could have easily paid the Phoenicians for passage in gold as the Scythians were loaded with the stuff and the purple people were sailing often to the british isles for tin.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>

yeah they made a movie about it. basically it was aliens and ufos

alien vs predator GIF

• 1Mother of God
Reactions: 1 user

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
yeah they made a movie about it. basically it was aliens and ufos

alien vs predator GIF
For a movie that had, as per the series, a bare bones basic plot - I really enjoyed all the science fiction shit in that one. The underground temple in Antartica etc. All really cool cheezy ideas.

In reality though, as the earth warms as it NATURALLY DOES - we're likely to find some really cool shit in Antarctica. Pyramids and temples? /doubt - but some fringe civilization? Probably.

• 1Like

Chris

Potato del Grande
Is this new stuff?

Theories I've seen years ago are:

1) They built one of the cities wet sand and an earthquake liquified the ground swallowing the city.

and/or

2) A meteorite exploded over one of the cities and vaporised everyone.

Both have some evidence behind them.

MusicForFish

Ultra Maga Instinct
<Prior Amod>
Is this new stuff?

Theories I've seen years ago are:

1) They built one of the cities wet sand and an earthquake liquified the ground swallowing the city.

and/or

2) A meteorite exploded over one of the cities and vaporised everyone.

Both have some evidence behind them.
Try watching it ya wanker.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Chris

Potato del Grande
A normal person would click on the link and read the description. Lazy fuck.
Can you explain how the description answers my question about if it's about the sand earthquake or meteor explosion theories?

Are you one of the boomer PC users? I'm often on my phone watching TV with my wife and don't really want to play a YouTube video at that time.

MusicForFish

Ultra Maga Instinct
<Prior Amod>
Can you explain how the description answers my question about if it's about the sand earthquake or meteor explosion theories?

Are you one of the boomer PC users? I'm often on my phone watching TV with my wife and don't really want to play a YouTube video at that time.
That sounds remarkably like a you problem. I'm not filling in the extra steps for you. No one else should either. Look at it later after your wife's done pegging you while you're supposed to be watching Red Dwarf reruns frendo.

• 1Worf

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
The new thing I hadn't seen from this one; the crumbly core stones.

For those of you that didn't watch, there are stones and obelisks and such where the inner core of granite breaks down / corrodes / expands / degrades but the outer layer doesn't, though it cracks from the expanding core. They haven't figured out what can cause this yet.

My only guess is maybe it has something to do with the outer surface being polished and glassy. If they can find a good cause for this phenomenon, it might provide decent dates on these objects. The current given dates I feel are way off.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users