Android/iOS/Browser games

Azziane_sl

shitlord
If Bastion is on Android I'd try that if you have not played on PC.

Symphony of Eternity and On the Rainslick Precipice of Darkness are both supposed to have good stories but I have yet to play either.

*edit
Bleh I think they both have D-pads. I've yet to like a phone game that forces a d-pad controls. Maybe you don't mind?

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
Abef,

I'm still a big fan of Kingdom Rush. The game is pretty challenging. Especially when you start to do the Hard modes. You could spend hours trying to prefect your method, but it makes you better at the game overall.

So yeah, try Kingdom Rush! You won't be disappointed.

Bosch_sl

shitlord
+1 for Kingdom Rush, it's insane! Can be frustrating to be on a map and play it for almost an hour and die at the very end lol

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
I've finished every map in the game. Outside of constantly pausing, I'm not sure how you're stretching a match to an hour. The longest that I can think of is around 20 minutes.

I'm waiting for Kingdom Rush: Frontiers to hit Android. It's currently out on iOS, so I'm jealous of that. Oh well, it'll come out soon enough.

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
I must not be very good at Kingdom Rush. What's the best tower to use and upgrade in the first 10 levels?

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
One of the first upgrades you should really focus on are the reinforcements. They're a HUGE help to the game.

As far as the first few levels, Artillery towers go a long way. Lower HP mobs swarm, and 1-2 artillery hits is enough to take them out.
For armored guys like Trolls, mage towers are better.

Later on in the game, archery's vine towers are one of the best due to holding people in place. The down side is, they don't do a lot of damage, so group a vine tower to an artillery or mage and you're good to go.

In the really high levels, archery's sniper towers (with 3/3 deadly shot) is awesome. They're great at 1-shotting very hard enemies, even those with high armor.

I tend to put a mage tower with teleporting as one of my last towers, and have a vine archery tower right before it. Tesla towers (high end artillery) are GREAT at clearing out large groups of weak mobs. When you upgrade them, they do an AE pulse shock every time they send a bolt out. That AE causes havoc against most of the undead NPC's.

Zx88_sl

shitlord
"Lots" was a gross exaggeration. The genre lacks on all platforms. Especially on iOS, I think, because a lot of the tactical/turn based RPGs on other platforms are mostly older games.

That being said I am looking for options myself so I will post my findings - in no particular order - below:

Shining ForceI think is the one I want to try next. If anyone ever played (old Sega title iirc?) I'd like to know if there really is that pause/cutsceneeverytimeyou perform an attack in battles. I'm probably being picky but from videos it looks like it ruins the fluidity/speed of combat.

Final Fantasy- I think there are 3 or 4 out including Tactics. People rave about these games. I'll eventually buy Tactics but the price is a bit high for an ipad game.
Battleheart- I'd call that a tactical RPG but it's extremely light on story and not turn based. Maybe not hitting the genre on the nose. Pure fun to play.
Warhammer Questis on my list as well. Looks like a team-based, turn-based tactical RPG with good reviews. Never played but reviews seem positive.
War of Eustrath- also turn based/tactical with good reviews. Have not played either though. Reviews do point out that the story is good but undermined by grammatical issues. I'm usually fine with that as long as the rest of the game is enjoyable though but it can ruin a story for some.
Battle Furywas a title I almost bought but pulled back when I could not find reviews on Touch Arcade. I should have done the same for KoPP.

Finally there isBattle of Wesnothwhich is being called Tactical RPG all over the place. I think it's more of a tactical/turn based strategy game with good RPG elements. More of a HoMM type game. Sounds quite good but not exactly the "take your 5 adventurers through dungeons and shit" style of game. The game is actually Free on all systems (windows, Linux..) but iOS AFAIK. I believe it is open source and had quite a lot of addons (free I presume) on iOS and other platforms. As you can guess I don't know much about it but that link is a good place to start I think. Will report back if/when I play it.
Any updates on your search for a good turned based RPG? Been trying to find something new and fresh myself and haven't had much luck lately.

Azziane_sl

shitlord
Bought and finished Warhammer quest. Light (very) on story but the turn based combat is decent. A solid 7/10 for me, do not regret the purchase.

IAP for the extra 3 classes is not worth it.

Fazana_sl

shitlord
Got an android tablet a couple of days ago, a Nook HD+ which is a very nice piece of kit and doesn't seem to be that far from my old IPAD3 despite costing 1/3 of the price. I tried the new Drastic DS emulator on it last night and was amazed to see it running better than the emu on my shitty laptop
biggrin.png

Anyways, today is launch day for Transport Tycoon produced by none other than the original PC creator of it Chris Sawyer. It's out on both Android and IOS.

PvZ 2 is starting to trickle out on Android as well, it popped up in the NZ and Aussie stores this morning.

Pocket Trains is a very nice time based game, it's a lot more strategic than Pocket Planes once you've got a bunch of routes up and running and trying to decide the best way to connect cities together and distribute your shit all round. Also out on IOS and Android as a freebie with buyable currency if you are impatient or just want to bung the devs a few coins.

Kaou

Molten Core Raider
Any updates on your search for a good turned based RPG? Been trying to find something new and fresh myself and haven't had much luck lately.
have you tried, knights of pen and paper +1 edition, or doom and destiny? both old school turn base rpg with silly dialogue. D&D is the more polish game, with a much stronger story line and end game material. You can clock in 20+ hours with D&D easily btw.

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
I downloaded the "next" Kingdom Rush game. Kingdom Rush: Frontier. It's very similar to the previous ones, but they've added a few odds and ends. Changed the weaponry a bit, and the hero's are now upgradeable. Also, the tower upgrade system has changed a little bit as far as the type of upgrades available.

I dig it. If you liked the first one, pick this up as well. It was $2.99 on my Galaxy S3.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Just picked up a new iPhone 5s and now that my battery won't die in 20 minutes of playing a game I've gotten into a few.

Arcane legends is a super MMO from the makers of pocket legends that I used to play back on the day. From gear farming, dungeons, auction house, big boss fights, it's pretty much has anything you'd want for a mobile mmo.

The other which is a more do stuff and then wait a while game is Kingdoms of Zenia. Fun game somewhat similar to clash of clans but I enjoy it's style and fighting and units way more than CoC.

Anyone else playing these games?

Fazana_sl

shitlord
Blockheads, a game that got some play from a few of us back in ye olde FOH days, has just released its 1.4 update. Trains! Electricity! I'll give this another look on my tablet methinks.

I'm mostly playing Clash of Clans, Pocket Trains and Heroes of Dragon Age atm, been busy enough with those to barely do 10 rerolls in P&D.

Azziane_sl

shitlord
Is magic 2013 a valid game for someone new to the genre, on ios? Never played a TCG before and my ipad cannot load Magic 2014.

Azziane_sl

shitlord
Not TCG but I've been having a lot of fun playing Lords of Waterdeep. It has nothing to do with D&D but the name but it's a great tabletop type game and very well implemented.

Kaou

Molten Core Raider
if anybody interested in classic ff rpg style with great humor, give D&D (doom and destiny) a play. I've finished it a month ago with over 20+hours game play. Also the replay value is super high. don't let the graphics turn you away, it really is a great game.

Doom Destiny - Android Apps on Google Play

Neph_sl

shitlord
Oceanhorn is a really beautiful game that dropped over Thanksgiving. It's pretty much a Zelda / Windwaker ripoff (complete with sailing) with Nobuo Uematsu doing music.

I seriously considered getting a 3DS, but decided to pass on it. Instead, I'm thinking about getting a controller housing for my iPhone. Logitech has one coming out this month and there's a leak for one being made by Razer.
The Logitech PowerShell Sure Beats Crappy iPhone Touch Controls

Vorph

I'd love something like that for my Droid DNA. It's a fantastic phone and a massive upgrade from the Xperia Play I'd been clinging to for far too long, but man do I miss the PSPgo-style pad & buttons slide-out. I'd kill for it to work in games like Puzzle and Dragons too, but I assume there's not much chance of that.

Vorph

Final Fantasy 3-5 are on sale for half off until early next year. Possibly some Other SE games too. Half off makes them merely overpriced instead of absurdly overpriced.

Anyone played FF5 on mobile? It's my favorite by far out of the 2d games so I'm thinking about picking it up if they did enough to it to justify 8 bucks, compared to just sticking with playing it with Gameboid. I don't care that it's still all 2d sprites; I think the 3d-converted games look like complete ass anyway.