Animated movies that surprised you

fucker_sl

shitlord
Millennium Actress

an anime movie by Satoshi Kon

i watched it just because Satoshi Kon was the creator of Paranoia Agent and Paprika, but i was not expecting much from it since it was supposed to be a romantic movie of sort. It was fucking amazing

Warrik

Potato del Grande
<Donor>
I just watched Rise of the Guardians with my kids. That definitely surprised me. Pretty good flick. I was not expecting it

chilansl

Molten Core Raider
The Girl Who Leapt Through Time. I saw it subtitled. Not sure if dubbed will be as good.

The Emperor's New Groove surprised me. The trailer made the whole movie look like stupid crap but it was funny with a decent story, interesting characters. And right at the ending, when Emperor Kuzco levels a look at Pacha and starts with, "So. You lied to me..." then channels his asshole self to do something good.

I didn't care for Nausica, but that's because I read the manga first, and the anime had a damn near totally different story where most characters that had depth were now just caricatures.

Izuldan_sl

shitlord
Wreck-it-Ralph, which I had little desire to see, turned out to be a really good movie. I actually liked it more than Brave and wished it had won the Oscar but of course the Pixar juggernaut prevailed.

Someone already mentioned How To Train A Dragon, another movie I had zero interest in, but it turned out to be really entertaining.

Heavy Metal was the first animated movie I ever saw that really wow'd me, as a kid it made a huge impression.

Pancreas

Vyemm Raider
UP surprised me a lot. The first 10 minutes of that movie were incredibly emotive. Just a really excellent film.

Memories, is an anime movie produced in 1995 and is comprised of three short films. Each film has it's own style and mood but all three could be classified under science fiction. If you get the opportunity to view it, I highly recommend it.

Looks like the second short film has been posted on Youtube.

Episode 2: Stink Bomb

And a portion of chapter 3...
Episode 3: Cannon Fodder
Of note, the third story is done in a single "camera shot"; So there are no hard cuts, only fades and pans.

The Director of Memories is Katsushiro Otomo, Who also directed Akira, another great movie if you haven't seen it yet. Some silly person decided to upload the whole movie to youtube, wonder how long that will last.

iannis

Musty Nester
Wow, I thought I personally knew the other 3 guys that had watched The Last Unicorn. The book is slightly better, mostly because of Molly Grue, but the animated does a really really good job.

I wish someone arty would do one of similar quality for A Fine and Private Place.

Lenardo

Vyemm Raider
my wife loves the last unicorn, i liked it too..Haggard Haggard UNICORNS...unicorns!!

akira, howls, how to tame your dragon, wreck it ralph, Wall-E, ratatoille

how about the movie the relaunched disney animation....

The Little Mermaid- i loved it.

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Princess Mononoke - It was my first exposure to Studio Ghibli and Hayao Miyazaki. I was blown away by the movie and it wasn't even the best movie they have put out.

Szlia

The most surprising for me was Waltz with Bashir. Using animation to make an auto-biographical documentary about the israelian army going into Lebanon... that was unexpected! And the result is very very good too. The animation create a distance that allows comedy and lyricism with a very difficult subject.

Grumpus

Molten Core Raider
Ponyo

My little sister tried to get me to watch it with her for months. I thought it sounded retarded but I liked it a lot.

She has now been telling me to watch The Fantastic Mr. Fox for at least a year, never got around to it. I guess I have to get on that.

Also I went in to Kung Fu Panda 2 3D thinking most animated sequels suck, and I don't care for 3D. It was actually pretty good and one of the better 3D movies I have seen.

Homsar

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Fantastic Mr fox was maybe the best movie that year for me. I was pretty shocked that I enjoyed it as much if not more than Royal Tenenbaums as far as Wes Anderson movies

Bane_sl

shitlord
Rango sucked. Mr. Fox sucked even harder. Maybe it's just because I was sandwiched between two fat people on a 100 degree plane ride back from Costa Rica while watching it that made me not enjoy it.

How to Train Your Dragon is very underrated for me. And Wreck It Ralph was awesome, until the plot kicked in.

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
honestly, the most surprised i've ever been at an animated movie was probably "aladdin" just because i was a freshman in high school and thought cartoon movies with singing were completely fucking gay, but i went with some friends and our dates and the movie we wanted to see was sold out so we went to see aladdin instead and holy shit did i enjoy that movie. i actually went back and saw it a second time i liked it so much.
"toy story" was the same thing. wasn't expecting it to be that funny or entertaining but it really was a great movie. story was way better than i thought it would be.

Vlett

Lord Nagafen Raider
I go back and watch Gundam Wing: The Endless Waltz a few times a year. Some army buddies turned me onto it way back in High School.

Woefully Inept

Ssraeszha Raider
Watched The Adventures of Tintin at my fathers house about a year ago and enjoyed it quite a bit. We felt it was a more enjoyable Indian Jones movie than the last Indian Jones movie was. Definitely worth a watch if you like that type of movie.

sunhillow_sl

shitlord
James and the Giant Peach. Watched it for the first time with my kids and really didn't know anything about it. Loved it. At this point I think I've watched it more times than my kids have.