Annihilation (2018)

Kaige

ReRefugee
<WoW Guild Officer>
Alright movie. I wasn't heavily into it, probably because I wanted it to be more about the zone in a S.T.A.L.K.E.R. game sort of way, than about Portman's character.

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
What in the ever living shit did I just watch.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
It's an overall subpar-average movie, but Jesus Christ the human screeching bear will be something I remember forever.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
Definitely agree this was a missed opportunity. Learning that it was about cancer made the movie make more sense, but it was still just average and forgettable.

The Arrival, for example, was a similar type of movie but really stuck with me and found myself thinking about it a lot

• 1Like

Tauntworth

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I'm digging the direction Science fiction movies are going though, with an emphasis on the "science" part, or at least a worthy attempt at it. The Martian, Interstellar, Arrival, Ex Machina, Annihalation, are all pushing the genre in a good direction IMO

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Venijk

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I recommend reading the books, especially if you *enjoyed* the weird kind of sci-fi that was in the last half hour of Interstellar or so. I enjoyed them a lot.

There is a lot of the focus on the alien landscape (Area X) as a sort of character. Was cancer really a main plot point in the movie?

Spoilers for the book series:

If I remember correctly, the folks who got cancer were really just clones that "Area X" sent back outside of the shimmer, with the real people either dying in Area X and/or mutating to become part of into the Area X flora/fauna in insane ways.

My understanding at the end of the series (read it several months ago) is that Area X was the site of incursion from a shard of.. something from an alien civilization. Regardless of what it is, it's unable to communicate with humanity and begins to change the fundamental laws of our own universe (invasively-so), starting with ground zero where there is very significant time dilation and, especially for those who came in direct contact with it, extreme unnatural biological change.

I don't believe there was a specific answer as far as what the "shard of something" is. I'm split between it being a literal incursion of another Universe into our own, part of a Lovecraftian "god", or something like a nanomachine-cloud AI which invades worlds, clones the people to infiltrate the societies, and terraforms the word & it's physics to be good for our new alien overlords.

I'm still enjoying thinking about it, it's interesting to me in a lot of the same ways as the Zohar from Xenogears/blade is.

Last edited:
  • 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider
I recommend reading the books, especially if you *enjoyed* the weird kind of sci-fi that was in the last half hour of Interstellar or so. I enjoyed them a lot.

There is a lot of the focus on the alien landscape (Area X) as a sort of character. Was cancer really a main plot point in the movie?

If I remember correctly, the folks who got cancer were really just clones that "Area X" sent back outside of the shimmer, with the real people either dying in Area X and/or mutating to become part of into the Area X flora/fauna in insane ways.

My understanding at the end of the series (read it several months ago) is that Area X was the site of incursion from a shard of.. something from an alien civilization. Regardless of what it is, it's unable to communicate with humanity and begins to change the fundamental laws of our own universe (invasively-so), starting with ground zero where there is very significant time dilation and, especially for those who came in direct contact with it, extreme unnatural biological change.

I don't believe there was a specific answer as far as what the "shard of something" is. I'm split between it being a literal incursion of another Universe into our own, part of a Lovecraftian "god", or something like a nanomachine-cloud AI which invades worlds, clones the people to infiltrate the societies, and terraforms the word & it's physics to be good for our new alien overlords.

I'm still enjoying thinking about it, it's interesting to me in a lot of the same ways as the Zohar from Xenogears/blade is.

It has a very lovecraftian vibe something from BEYOND TM that is so alien just its presence is corrosive to reality.

• 1Like

Warrik

Potato del Grande
<Donor>
Bear was the best part. Other than that, this got real weird real fast and the end was kind of meh.

• 1Like

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
Gave it a second watched. Like it even more.

I'll bump up to 8/10.

a_skeleton_00

<Banned>

Sean?

Gamma Rays

Large sized member
Yeah um . . . okay.

I liked it through most of it, good and creepy vibe etc. The monster encounters were good and scary.

But then everything from entering the lighthouse to the end . . . no.

Foggy

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
The lighthouse on was terrible. Everything up until that point was pretty good. Pretending tiny Natalie Portman was ever in the military or trained to fight was lulz but didn’t really care. That ending though... what the fuck did I just watch?

• 1Like

Gamma Rays

Large sized member
Can't they just do a good Ol' Sci-Fi creature flick.

Here's a tip, watch the film, get to the part where she walks towards the lighthouse door. Then stop it, put in the Blu-ray for Aliens and watch the powerlifter vs Alien Queen fight.

Perfect night's viewing.

• 1Like

Lunis

Blackwing Lair Raider
I got through half of it before I fell asleep. It really was a little sloppily put together, a lot scenes where the dialogue or reactions didn't feel natural.

• 1Like

Gamma Rays

Large sized member
That mutated skull faced bear with the woman's screaming voice was wicked and scary.

They could have had the last 15 minutes of the film being the team in a drawn out conflict against that or a 'family' of them.

/Roll credits, applause.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Caliane

All female team takes on an unknown phenomenon. Every single one of them dies, except the lead character who apparently
allows the phenomenon to escape
, probably dooming the human race and all life on earth. Sounds about right.

Seriously though, I really enjoyed some aspects of this, overall I'm going 6/10. Not worth a rewatch but I dont regret the time spent watching a download. Worst part for me was the end. My reading of the movie is
Lena and Kane are both dead, their places taken by WTFever weird creatures the phenomenon built to impersonate them. They've escaped the boundaries of the phenomenon, so I infer this is game over for the human race and really for all life on earth.

But not-really-Kane has been out of the area since one of the first scenes of the movie. So its been game over since he escaped. So this entire movie is a bunch of nothing -- ineffectual actions taken against the phenomenon long after its already beat the humans, and no one seems to realize it.
got around to this finally.

I think we are past spoilers, so won't bother.

honestly, humanity was fucked in this one from the moment the aliens invaded.
The cancer allusions. The shimmer/invasion was cancer, and slowing spreading. the clones were cancer cells mimicing native cells to avoid anti-bodies and spreading. honestly if anything there needed to be a scene with new shimmer locations appearing worldwide.

While movie is def just depressing. As noted, the whole theme is suicidal self destruction, and the hopelessness of world ending(literal, and personal) cancer. the message is, there is no hope with cancer. It will destroy you and everything you love. There isn't even a message of coping with it, inevitable death or loss. nope. just "best just kill yourself."

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
got around to this finally.

I think we are past spoilers, so won't bother.

honestly, humanity was fucked in this one from the moment the aliens invaded.
The cancer allusions. The shimmer/invasion was cancer, and slowing spreading. the clones were cancer cells mimicing native cells to avoid anti-bodies and spreading. honestly if anything there needed to be a scene with new shimmer locations appearing worldwide.

While movie is def just depressing. As noted, the whole theme is suicidal self destruction, and the hopelessness of world ending(literal, and personal) cancer. the message is, there is no hope with cancer. It will destroy you and everything you love. There isn't even a message of coping with it, inevitable death or loss. nope. just "best just kill yourself."

Holy shit man now I’m depressed

• 4Worf
  • 2Like
Reactions: 5 users

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Any word if they're going to make more movies based on this series? I have the books sitting in my to-read queue, and have heard they're not bad.

Also, the fucking bear creature thing is one of the most disturbing things I've seen in a movie.

• 3Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 3 users

chthonic-anemos

bitchute.com/video/EvyOjOORbg5l/
author tweet
tldr the entity assimilated self destructive behavior and is annihilated but the shimmer effect is possibly worldwide

• 1Like

Caliane

I feel like all the cancer talk, and allegories kindof gets in the way of Assimilation... But, I do suppose, the refraction/duplication, and redundancies is very clearly spelled out as well. Cancer does that. But, if we forget that for a moment, and take the give/take aspect as suggested yet. Yes, the alien cloned Lena... but Lena then ALSO took on elements of the Alien does make sense. When passing the grenade, they clench hands making the Ouroboros. theres no difference between them at that point.

Last edited:
  • 1Like