Annihilation (2018)

Slaanesh69

Millie's Staff Member
I highly recommend the books, but the movie was only passingly entertaining. I am not sure I would have given it more than a 3/10 if I had not read the books, but having done so I'd probably give it a 5 just because some of the imagery translated. I really missed having the "Tower" represented somehow in the movie, but what can you do.

The books slow down towards the end, but the first book is fantastic. Rarely have I read anything that held a constant state of droning dread in the background so well and so long.

One of the most vivid images I've had from a book was the description of the recovered video from one of the previous expeditions, with a guy in the foreground animatedly speaking gibberish like it was English while a vague giant shape shambled past in the background. That has stuck with me to this day. Instead we got moving entrails.

That first book was far more effective horror than almost any movie I have ever seen.

• 1EyeRoll
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
I dont know why everyone is hyping the bear cow beast so hard. it was pretty unremarkable.

Movie had a lot of promise in the beginning but turned into shit real quick. Wasnt scary, dragged for a bit, and the ending was pretty underwhelming.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
I dont know why everyone is hyping the bear cow beast so hard. it was pretty unremarkable.

Movie had a lot of promise in the beginning but turned into shit real quick. Wasnt scary, dragged for a bit, and the ending was pretty underwhelming.

A mutant bear/skull hybrid that could maul you to death and lures people in by mimicking your dead friends' screams for help with an otherworldly sound to it is "unremarkable"? You really are trying a bit too hard.

• 8Like
Reactions: 7 users

Loser Araysar

<Gold Donor>
A mutant bear/skull hybrid that could maul you to death and lures people in by mimicking your dead friends' screams for help with an otherworldly sound to it is "unremarkable"? You really are trying a bit too hard.

Yeah it was pretty meh.
The skull didnt even look scary. Just exposed with some overbite

Loser Araysar

<Gold Donor>
this is what you all were so breathlessly impressed with?

you have gotta be some of the lowest of the low expectation motherfuckers out there

DYfGAjbV4AE7-oT.jpg

natalie-portman2.jpg

Drinsic

privileged excrementlord
Yeah it was pretty meh.
The skull didnt even look scary. Just exposed with some overbite
Wrong. The bear had absorbed some of the chick it ate. Its left eye socket is straight up a human skull fused into the bear skull. Looked pretty rad to me.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
Wrong. The bear had absorbed some of the chick it ate. Its left eye socket is straight up a human skull fused into the bear skull. Looked pretty rad to me.

Araysar has the shittiest taste in movies/TV since Supertouch offed himself. Take his criticism as validation.

• 2Like

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>

You're correct in that it wasn't scary, dragged on, and the ending was shit. But you're full on retarded if that bear scene wasn't one of the coolest concepts ever. Other than Valkrie turning into a tree it was the only other standout moment of the entire movie. That sound wasn't scary, but it was deeply unsettling.

• 2Like

Gamma Rays

Large sized member
We don't have the experience of growing up in Russia like Araysar did.

It's likely that a bear walking into the house is quite the normal day over there. Nothing to be scared of.

• 4Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 4 users

Oldbased

> Than U
Meh. I enjoyed this movie enough to watch it several times in a week. I thought it was pretty decent given the low bar of movies anymore.

• 2Like