Annihilation (2018)

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider
I think after seeing the movie and hearing what the lady was saying about what was inside the shimmer and what it was doing to everything around it the appropriate ending should have been the government incinerating both the lady and her husband and basically scorch earthing everything that was in the previous range of the shimmer. But that may have been to bleak for audiances.

• 3Solidarity
  • 1Picard
Reactions: 3 users

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
First viewing. I liked it. I like my sci fi slow. So that's a big checkmark for me.

I give it 7/10 Ivankas

I'm interested to see what Alex Garland does next.

• 3Like
  • 1Solidarity

Gamma Rays

Large sized member
I got a little confused, seeing this showing up on Netflix so quickly.

"Wha?? Isn't that thing only just in the cinemas now?"

So I read the Wiki page which kinda explained it. But then makes me curious as to how much Netflix pays for a film.

GuardianX

Perpetually Pessimistic
<Bronze Donator>
I got a little confused, seeing this showing up on Netflix so quickly.

"Wha?? Isn't that thing only just in the cinemas now?"

So I read the Wiki page which kinda explained it. But then makes me curious as to how much Netflix pays for a film.

Even the RedLetterMedia people were shocked at it hitting netflix and basically getting shafted in the marketing.

It was a "Perfect" movie to push onto feminism what with the main cast being female, STEM people.

Sorry if it was linked here before:

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Alasliasolonik

Toilet of the Mod Elect
<Banned>
4/10 with a Ivanka nipple through a shirt.

The movie just wasn't very good. Has nothing to do the the cast and it falls on the writing and execution.

3 minutes watching the best scenes on YouTube will show you the entire movie.

Gamma Rays

Large sized member
I'm guessing this thing has a strong Female empowerment message, when you see a promotional image like this.

Anal_girls1.jpg

Goatface

it was just stupid for them to be brute force investigating the craziest shit ever to happen in modern times

must used same experts as prometheus

Rod-138

Trakanon Raider
Prometheus was an apt comparison- you take an interesting situation and instantly ruin it by making unbelievable decisions.

Where’d you learn to shoot?

Army, 7 years, before I became a micro biologist. Said no woman ever. Who writes this shit? Bad author or bad writer or both?

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
  • 1Worf

Fadaar

That guy
I don't regret watching this, but I found it really hard to care about the characters. Last ~20 minutes or so was kinda dumb and the ending... ffs. I don't mind details being left out and things being left to the imagination, but don't be stupid with it. This movie was stupid with it.

Aldarion

Egg Nazi
I'm guessing this thing has a strong Female empowerment message, when you see a promotional image like this.

View attachment 163204
All female team takes on an unknown phenomenon. Every single one of them dies, except the lead character who apparently
allows the phenomenon to escape
, probably dooming the human race and all life on earth. Sounds about right.

Seriously though, I really enjoyed some aspects of this, overall I'm going 6/10. Not worth a rewatch but I dont regret the time spent watching a download. Worst part for me was the end. My reading of the movie is
Lena and Kane are both dead, their places taken by WTFever weird creatures the phenomenon built to impersonate them. They've escaped the boundaries of the phenomenon, so I infer this is game over for the human race and really for all life on earth.

But not-really-Kane has been out of the area since one of the first scenes of the movie. So its been game over since he escaped. So this entire movie is a bunch of nothing -- ineffectual actions taken against the phenomenon long after its already beat the humans, and no one seems to realize it.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Lanx

<Prior Amod>

View attachment 163204
the blacks were atrocious, one was even gay to get that checkmark, dr acted like she was high, cute white girl said "leukemia", then died in like 2 minutes and fucking Padme was boring as shit.

Of the two recent Netflix scifi shit, this and cloverfield, i'd much rather rewatch cloverfield (if i was forced to), than this.

Do i care it was all female? no, heck as a plot device, sending in a team of vag's when dozens of teams of males soldiers just vanished, is fine. But these actresses just sucked.

• 1Like

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
I'm surprised how much I didn't like this. I would have said that the movie would have been better with minimalist dialogue but then the last act had that and I didn't like that either.

Visually interesting, not much else.

• 1Solidarity

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
I'm surprised how much I didn't like this. I would have said that the movie would have been better with minimalist dialogue but then the last act had that and I didn't like that either.

Visually interesting, not much else.
After the credits started rolling I took 10 minutes to think about what changes I'd make to the ending (and possibly the climactic buildup) that would make it more palatable and satisfying.

I couldn't come up with anything.

I thought that was pretty interesting because I can usually come up with a half dozen things I would've done differently - even after watching movies I liked. Eventually I came to the conclusion that the story's foundations stray too far from an archetypal structure.

The themes were fairly obvious (how many times did they use the phrase "self destruction" in screen-filling-facial-close-up exposition?). But in sacrificing traditional structure and focusing on a central theme (or narrative goal, if you'd like), the writers also sacrificed cohesion and a satisfying conclusion. It's as though they sought to preach a theme, determined "cancer" was the best metaphor for the theme, and the studio said "sci-fi is trendy these days so make it a sci-fi story." It seems to me that the plot only loosely served to move the characters from one theme-affirming event to the next. The film lacked heart and the characters lacked depth.

If any of you are familiar with Jordan Peterson, I think this movie is a good example of what he describes as propaganda (as opposed to mythological or archetypal).

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
Alright, so the goal is to get to the lighthouse, look around, and get out. At one point some of the people want to turn back and Natalie tells them that it's 2 days to the lighthouse and 6 days back the way they came. Once they get to the lighthouse they can follow the shore and get out that way.

Why didn't they follow the shore in if the goal was reaching the lighthouse? It sounds like it's way shorter to get out once they make it to the lighthouse so why go the long way around the first time? You also could have taken a boat as the lighthouse is on the coast or parachuted in maybe. Just walking in some people with pup tents and food sounds like the first thing you would try (and then still probably not) and now after several failed missions that's all we've got for ideas?

Goatface

You also could have taken a boat as the lighthouse is on the coast or parachuted in maybe.

my understanding getting out by going down the shore was a lie she told just to get the other to follow
don't think the movie even tried to explain why it wouldn't work
but apparently in the books, the was just a single long narrow passage to get in and anything trying to pass through the shimmer was destroyed

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
my understanding getting out by going down the shore was a lie she told just to get the other to follow
don't think the movie even tried to explain why it wouldn't work
but apparently in the books, the was just a single long narrow passage to get in and anything trying to pass through the shimmer was destroyed

I get that she was manipulating them to go forward but I think the actual plan was to go to the lighthouse and then follow the shore out rather than walk back the way they came?

I'm not watching it again though.

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
Alright, so the goal is to get to the lighthouse, look around, and get out. At one point some of the people want to turn back and Natalie tells them that it's 2 days to the lighthouse and 6 days back the way they came. Once they get to the lighthouse they can follow the shore and get out that way.

Why didn't they follow the shore in if the goal was reaching the lighthouse? It sounds like it's way shorter to get out once they make it to the lighthouse so why go the long way around the first time? You also could have taken a boat as the lighthouse is on the coast or parachuted in maybe. Just walking in some people with pup tents and food sounds like the first thing you would try (and then still probably not) and now after several failed missions that's all we've got for ideas?

Hard to question their logic and motives once they get in because they start 'changing' instantly. Hell, they basically lost the first 2 or 3 days they were in there cause their brains broke.

Raponchi

Frog
<Donor>
It was ok. Didnt like the ending. The effects reminded me of early 90's 3d art.
I guess I am sensitive to light also. I hated that bright ending.

Ah also . I was having this intro in my head all the time while watching the "alien blob" monster, well the whole movie really. Hence i think the ending was shite. Someone on the team must have watched this intro in the 90's. It's like they based the movie on that intro, weird.

The music at the end was just a f'ing analog synth. I have one of those at home. Was wondering what soft synth they used instead of being scared. Combine that with the mtv vid under here and the bright light. meh.

Bear with voice was cool

6/10

Last edited: