Any hope for this painting?

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
Why? He's charging $500 for $1 worth of work.

just tell him it doesn't meet your standards and the deal is off, if he argues let him know that if the work is as good as he thinks it is he should have no problem selling it - i'd imagine a lot of goofballs with some disposable income would love it (assuming it's as good as what he likely thinks it is).

iannis

Musty Nester
Not that i've done it recently, but i've watched paintings go from "you're drunk and that's bad" to "ok, I see what you're going for but you're still drunk" to "wow that's actually kind of impressive for an alcoholic" back when I had friends that painted.

Dirk is still right, don't pay for -that-.

If you just contacted him blind without seeing previous work.. you might be in a bit of a faux pas sort of situation here. You kinda have to know what an artist is capable of before commissioning them. that certainly does not look very skillful. the figures are -so- flat. But it's also why people get touchy about showing unfinished products. a lot of times it's not done till it's done.

If you did see previous work and liked it, trust him a little. If you didn't this is going to be an awkward situation to deal with.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
Not that i've done it recently, but i've watched paintings go from "you're drunk and that's bad" to "ok, I see what you're going for but you're still drunk" to "wow that's actually kind of impressive for an alcoholic" back when I had friends that painted.
You talking about that girl that yanks her tampon out and throws it at the mirror behind the bartender at Outback Steakhouse?

I know that girl. They didn't keep the mirror "painting" and she's still an alcoholic.

• 1Worf

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>
just tell him it doesn't meet your standards and the deal is off, if he argues let him know that if the work is as good as he thinks it is he should have no problem selling it - i'd imagine a lot of goofballs with some disposable income would love it (assuming it's as good as what he likely thinks it is).

like:

Hey man! Thank you for sending me that update. I always want to be completely honest. I don’t know about the direction the painting is going. Rocket looks way off, and his body just seems all wrong. Groots arms look off, and it looks like his left arm is just chopped off. The whole painting is groots right arm. Do you think the last parts of detailing the painting will address all of that?

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
like:

Hey man! Thank you for sending me that update. I always want to be completely honest. I don’t know about the direction the painting is going. Rocket looks way off, and his body just seems all wrong. Groots arms look off, and it looks like his left arm is just chopped off. The whole painting is groots right arm. Do you think the last parts of detailing the painting will address all of that?

seems perfectly reasonable - and like iannis says it could turn out to be really great

• 1Like

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
like:

+ "...I'm not used to judging in-progress pieces, but it's hard for me to visualize this painting ending up at the place I wanted it to go when I commissioned it"

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
Can we get to the part where we talk about what compells someone to commission a $500 Guardians of the Galaxy painting?

Is this a gift for a 12 year old with a terminal disease?

• 10Worf
  • 5Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 15 users

McQueen

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
You can kinda tell that he was going for a forced perspective in the bottom right, and it just falls flat from there. I don’t see any way he salvages that without starting over.

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
Can we get to the part where we talk about what compells someone to commission a $500 Guardians of the Galaxy painting?

people can spend money on whatever but what i'd be interested in seeing a picture of, is the room this painting would be going into

• 1Like

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Got a local art guy to paint rocket and groot. He sent me this as a progress pic. Is there any hope for this? Or is this shit? Please be honest. Fee is somewhere around $500. What do you think?
don't be a pussy

what you want
a1973f3d4483efad2ae395a6ae62fb9e.png

5316aadf512d7487f4e115ea19d1db0b.png

what you got
ab787cc468763e974ad653da733d1af2.png

f57ab51570efad73595c29c4439c2f47.png

• 1Worf

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>

its for my movie room!

I posted pics of my theater room in the home theater forum. I also have this crazy Thor abstract painting and this badass Wonder Woman 1984 painting. (This is a “work in progress” pic)

the groot rocket pic is six foot wide, five foot tall. So it would be a monstrous turd on the wall.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • 1Like
  • 1WTF

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
How did you come accorss this local "artist"? Have you seen other work he's done?

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
its for my movie room!

I posted pics of my theater room in the home theater forum. I also have this crazy Thor abstract painting and this badass Wonder Woman 1984 painting. (This is a “work in progress” pic)

the groot rocket pic is six foot wide, five foot tall. So it would be a monstrous turd on the wall.

View attachment 292411

Holy shit thats big

Drajakur

Molten Core Raider
Got a local art guy to paint rocket and groot. He sent me this as a progress pic. Is there any hope for this? Or is this shit? Please be honest. Fee is somewhere around $500. What do you think?

This is complete shit and has no hope of being salvaged. This person does not know how to paint and is obviously completely self-"taught". Regardless of the overall composition being utter garbage, he does not understand simple perspective as it relates to character and nor does he understand how to compose sub-elements of a picture from the same perspective and with the correct corresponding ratios. This is (minimally) why, for example, the faces of Groot and Rocket bear no resemblance to the actual characters (eye spacing, direction of view, ratio of nose to eyebrow, position of nose - they are all fucked) and why the "plane" of the gun appears both at once in front and behind Rocket's arm.

Whatever the person promised you will never be delivered. This will never look anything other than horrific and amateurish. You should try and find a way not to pay for it; and if you do feel (legally or morally) obliged to pay for it, you should never ever display this horrific trash piece of shit train-wreck in any spot in your home other than in your child's room where it will sit forever as reminder of what you get yourself into when you are high or fucked on painkillers.

This is shit.

• 5Like
  • 2Worf
Reactions: 6 users

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>
Should I send him the before and after Jesus paintings as part of my text? I’m glad y’all all agree this is shit. I thought I was being a picky prick. I’m not cheap. I’d pay 3x for what I want.

• 2Like

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Should I send him the before and after Jesus paintings as part of my text? I’m glad y’all all agree this is shit. I thought I was being a picky prick. I’m not cheap. I’d pay 3x for what I want.
groot isn't actually that bad...

if what you were going for was homer simpson groot

91alMDpPbfL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

haha, now you can't unsee it, can you

• 2Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>
I just sent:

Hey man! Honesty with criticism is something I struggle with. I always want to be completely honest. I don’t know about the direction the painting is going. Rocket looks way off, and his body just seems all wrong. Groots arms look off, and it looks like his left arm is just chopped off. The whole painting is groots right arm. Do you think the last parts of detailing the painting will address all of that? I’m not used to criticizing artwork ever, let alone before the product is finished. How do you see it turning out?