Apex Legends new free to play battle royale game from Respawn

Cybsled

Been watching Shroud play this. Mentioned that he had been working with them for months on this. Looks nice...OW + Blackout mix seems like fun.

Xevy

Log Wizard
3 man teams is going to be the biggest self inflicted wound I could imagine. This is what ruined Titanfall. TF1 was amazing, just fucking revolutionary in the movement and titans were fun and the gun balance was fixed pretty well. TF2 I never even played even though I owned it. Why? It was 4v4. What the fuck. They needed to make it 6v6 or 8v8 and I would've been a huge TF fanboi for every game they made, but they just never did what needed to be done. Epic battles and shit, but there were never enough PEOPLE to shoot at, just PVE grunts which I fucking HATE in my PVP games. This ain't fucking DOTA.

Game looks interesting, but this is one of the first BR's I've seen that I'm not disinterested in but not quite interested in. I'm playing it tonight since it's free, but it just doesn't grab me the way it should for some reason. And I've been asking for YEARS for a class-based BR system. Fuck. I've been playing Realm Royale (which is coming back pretty nicely after they started using their brains) for the last 3 or 4 days.

We'll see. I'm sure I'll play it 20 hours this week and have a solid opinion.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
I like it! I have no idea what I'm doing, but we got second in the 2nd game. One thing that sucks is I wasn't expecting people to bail off a 300 foot cliff and get behind us.

We were on the last circle and watching the only road in. Didn't even make much noise when they landed.

Luthair

Lord Nagafen Raider
The team thing is about as bad as you'd expect, my first game some moron using open mic and just coughing into it, jump forwards 2 minutes into the game they both decide to use Skype and quit leaving me alone. Followed by the typical battle royale experience of spending 10-minutes looting before finding anyone. Oh, then the game crashed after the match.

Also, was it just me or does the game look like someone smeared grease over the graphics?

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
I like it, i went with a friend and the randoms we kept getting werent bad. I like the map and the guns feel pretty good. Initial impressions after 5-6 matches are its about a 8.5-9/10. I like it more than pubg and fortnite but i didnt like either of those much to begin with.

spronk

FPS noob
I definitely prefer it on console, it just feels easier for some reason and of course I feel a bit less uptight playing on controller than kbm, plus I don't seem to die to a lot of sniper kills. It was running 60 fps on PS4 Pro so didn't really feel bad at all, and matches were instant and no crashing (so far).

Everything feels a bit overwhelming though, I really wish there was solo games so I could just fuck around and see what items are, I really don't get it at all and looting just feels like "AAAAA GRAB EVERYTHING FUCK IT" so I usually have no idea what i'm shooting with.

so far much better game to watch than play, I need some sort of fuck around 10v10 mode or something that just lets me equip very specific loadouts so I can play with guns, loadouts, and specs and see what I like.

• 1Like

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Where's the fucking double jumps and wall running this is bullshit.

This game is super tense and frustrating for some reason, even by BR standards. Very well put-together for a surprise launch, but not really enjoyable to play.

Luthair

Lord Nagafen Raider
Where's the fucking double jumps and wall running this is bullshit.

This game is super tense and frustrating for some reason, even by BR standards. Very well put-together for a surprise launch, but not really enjoyable to play.

The jumping definitely felt bad after destiny, it felt like a hop.

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
They definitely spent a fuckload of money paying streamers to stream this game today

• 1Like

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
I don't think I've seen any of the abilities do anything. Heal girl has a heal thing but it just seems to sit there and do nothing. Freaky pale girl with her neck broken is supposed to have some kind of spidey sense but I never saw it happen.

Cybsled

The ghost girl or whatever can summon a portal that your team can use to teleport to new spots. Makes for great flanking opportunities if your team is paying attention.

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Shroud just had a 21 kill game. Fucking crazy.

• 1Like

Szlia

Checked a little bit of this: Grey characters shooting at grey characters in a brown level. I can't muster even the tiniest bit of interest for this.

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Checked a little bit of this: Grey characters shooting at grey characters in a brown level. I can't muster even the tiniest bit of interest for this.

You didn't check very hard.

There is a quasi wall climb, so you can jump, then sorta climb up if you press and hold space again. Lets you get on roof, over walls and such, but can't really climb 2 stories up, seems like maybe 10-15 feet max.

I don't think I've seen any of the abilities do anything. Heal girl has a heal thing but it just seems to sit there and do nothing. Freaky pale girl with her neck broken is supposed to have some kind of spidey sense but I never saw it happen.

The abilities do work. Heal girls heals anyone standing by it(a tube like thing connects to any player near it healing them). The pale chick goes invis/invul. Unless you mean the passive part of the skills? I've only experienced the one soldier black chick, where you get a burst of speed when shot and the medic woman who summons a shield when she revives someone. I think the pale chicks little hearing cues just get lost in all the sound(if they work). The robots zipline is crazy good as is the smoke grenade from the soldier chick.

Getting HQ armor and helm seem extremely important. Especially as unlike Pubg, they don't deteriorate as you get shot, so you keep any helm/armor all game, just have to replenish shields. Even found an orange armor once that gave full shields after using a finishing move on someone(when you melee someone in revive state , you do a special kill animation).

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Wraith girl has a portal ability where she drops the entry port, then has to run to wherever they want the exit port to be (dunno if there is a time limit for exit placement), which can be really nice. The Robot has an ability to make those tether lines that ppl can then use to get to wherever (though still vulnerable while using).

Cybsled

I played a few rounds of this tonight. Pretty good...still need to get a feel for the weapons and the different characters, but I like it more than Blackout at the moment. TTK feels right and the squad synergies will give this a bit more life than regular BRs.

Xevy

Log Wizard
Well so far it feels like it runs like shit. Mostly because I can't tell what FPS I get without a third party and the head-bob of running is fucking GOD AWFUL. The guns are not even close to balanced. Some are god-tier and some are completely worthless or completely worthless UNTIL you find the purple specialty mod. For instance I got a sniper with a 6-8x scope. Sounds good, right? No. It fires 3 bullets side-by-side at once and at 200m it hit a guy for 22 damage. But the mod makes all 3 hit in the same spot or vertically. Making it a viable gun. Most of the SMGs are shit. Some of the ARs are rough. Most LMGs are great. The snipers are shit. I had a longbow, hit a guy at 200m+. 55 damage. Why? It also drops like a rock past 150m. I think they're very anti sniper which is pretty much in feel with the Titanfall crew. They had some beast snipers, but it took a while to kit them out where they were really good.

Overall it needs a lot of work, but it's got a decent foundation. Weapon balance and maybe some UI/gameplay tinkering (like their fucking shit tier shield and healing menu) and it could be pretty fun.