Apex Legends new free to play battle royale game from Respawn

Braen

<Medals Crew>
Not to be a shill, but the devs has said they wanted the first pass to be basic. People are still learning the game and didn't want to go too crazy too fast. They will be adding challenges. Plus if you play through this season you can earn enough Apex coins to pay for next season for free.

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
I understand why the devs like it. They get money for shitty skins and trinkets and force you to grind for it. I don't really get why players like it.
I suppose it's a "good value" when buying the cosmetics outright are obscenely priced.

Being superior to the the shittiest of monetization models doesn't really mean a whole lot.

Fortunately it's optional, but I really wouldn't mind supporting them if they just provided something fairly priced without gimmicky bullshit.

Unfortunately, people have just been so conditioned to accept these absurd systems that it won't happen.

Disclaimer: I've NOT purchased this Battle Pass. I've also not acquired the current FortNite Battle Pass (even though you could earn it for Free this Season).
However, I'm a HUGE fan of the Battle Pass concept.

If you enjoy the game and want to play it, the battle pass (as FortNite does it at least), gives you additional content in the form of challenges. Sure, sometimes this devolves down to chores, but imo if you're going to play the game then it's worth it as it "forces" you to do things you normally would not. Such as play different modes, use different types of weapons, effect where you land/go on the map, mini-games to perform, etc.

Also, FortNite (and now Apex), provide enough in-game currency with the Battlepass that you can buy the next one for FREE. So you spend $10 for literally infinite additional content (or until they stop putting currency in the BP).

Compare this to $10(or more) for individual skins in these games (a la carte) or dumping money into RNG loot boxes, it's far superior. League of Legends is pure a la carte, with a crafting system now, and they have skins up to $25 each now. Prestige skins maybe even more if you try to buy them. I remember GuildWars 2 starting the RNG boxes crap and HATED it when that began. Then it moved into Overwatch/Hearthstone/PUBG/ etc.

Games need to make money, Battle Pass is the best system with a side of a la carte, imo at least. RNG should be banned.
Box price alone can't support online games, and monthly fees like the old days is fine, but that's basically what a battlepass is, but with extras. (and is every 10 weeks instead of monthly + its optional).

Tarisk

Pathetic Reaction Bot
This latest patch is overall feeling really good. Not sure if it's the hitboxes, weapon tweaks or all of the above, or maybe the Battle Pass stimulating the playerbase again. But just for giggles jumped in to some pug games, about 5 in a row. had 6-8 kills each game, with fairly competent team mates to boot.

mp_rr_canyonlands_64k_x_64k0004.jpg

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
30 matches in with "buffed" gas nazi and can confirm he's still unplayable trash.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Asshat Brando

Potato del Grande
<Banned>
Is there any reason I can't choose the server like before? It seems to come and go. Had two games last night where a Wraith had 29-30 kills and won the game before the first circle had even finished with a Chinese name, wonder what was going on there?

Rombo

Lord Nagafen Raider
Was either Shroud smurfing or a really badass chinese, drinkin sake while dominating apex and
pubg at the sametime
on splitscreen.

Tarisk

Pathetic Reaction Bot
Is there any reason I can't choose the server like before?

you still can, on PC anyway. sit at initial launch screen that says click to continue. wait 1-2 minutes, hit escape, it will bring up a prompt if you want to quit, just hit escape to cancel and a button on the bottom should say "data center" and you can see what you're currently set to.

I've had problems where it will seemingly put me on the wrong data center and the asian name players will start showing up more, if I make sure it's on my 15ms Salt Lake, I don't see it nearly as much if at all.

Have had the same person or two people doing the same thing twice though, guy with an asian name. Spamming an audio clip of something in chinese on loop and spamming chat with what looks almost like a phone number. They'll just afk and quit a minute later.

Cybsled

Was in a game with a guy named "buyhackaddme". Of course he is using hacks (wall and aim). I reported him, but the fuck was level 81??? How the hell has he not been banned yet?

Tarisk

Pathetic Reaction Bot
Was in a game with a guy named "buyhackaddme". Of course he is using hacks (wall and aim). I reported him, but the fuck was level 81??? How the hell has he not been banned yet?

There are apparently exploits that let you modify the survival exp amount or amplify it. Possibly what he was doing.

Also never know how long they take to do ban waves either. The good hacks probably aren't easily identified by the automatic banning/anticheat so have to wait for manual review to ban ones like him.

Braen

<Medals Crew>
So is this a dying game already? I mean I am not seeing long wait times for games, but talk about it has died off and the Battle Pass was very underwhelming.

We should be seeing a new weapon and legend soonish. I hope they add more attachments as well and maybe rotate different weapons in and out of the meta.

I still really enjoy it, but I don't see half of you guys on anymore

Asshat Brando

Potato del Grande
<Banned>
Yeah, don't hardly see any friends online anymore which has made my battle pass gains slower without the group bonus. With that said there is almost never a wait for the game and I had ques last Thursday and Friday. Was gone all weekend so not sure how it was this weekend.

Tarisk

Pathetic Reaction Bot
I feel like the popularity is dropping off fast for a lot of reasons that I'm hoping some new weapons/new map, other change can help fix it.

My biggest gripes that are killing my interest personally is what feels like the lack of replayability and different situations.

1) 50-90% of the players jump out of the plane they moment that "smash that E button to eject" appears. Seriously, watch it some games, you will see it go from 60 players down to 10 or less sometimes within 5 seconds, especially if Skulltown is reachable from the initial drop.

2) Still way too much of the meta revolves around the fucking wingman and peacekeeper. I think ultimately they're ok as weapons but the other weapons leave a lot to be desired in a lot of situations. Some are garbage (p2020, mozambique hi), others are too rare. And the really shitty ones are still way too common. I think this is also possibly a spawn rate issue or situational use It really pisses me off when I'm not the jump master. if I'm with pugs (or sometimes even with friends) and we go Skulltown for the hot drop, I'll end up running through 5+ buildings and sometimes just come out with nothing other than attachments/grenades, or even just p2020's and mozambiques. Then someone, who could be an absolute shitter, but with good rng luck, walks in with an r99/301/peacekeeper etc and blue+ armor from their first building and puts me back to the lobby.

But I appreciate the fun that CAN be had in skulltown or other busy close range/indoor areas, IF the RNG isn't shit and I can get the loot to actually enjoy a fight. The game is great fun in close quarters around compounds. The open area fights are pretty boring and predictable, because the game/map focuses more on close range than long range encounters and open areas are just exposed hills with the occasional cliff or rock to hide behind, and just makes you an easy victim of a 3rd party as well. And this may also be why other weapons feel useless, because the game focuses so much around pushing close range fights. Sniper rifles dont have as much use as the other weapons because of it. The main one I will use is the scout because for some reason I do decently with it in close range when I run out of ammo on my primary and just hip fire it or 1x sight it.

3) map is way too small/lacking in amount of weapon spawns in the map for the size. There are a LOT of compound areas that look busy but there is hardly any loot in them. The water treatment place looks massive, but has very minimal weapon spawns. The water itself, the structures around the water etc have nothing. So it's just the main building and some supply chests. It's barely enough for 1-2 squads to start a fight. It's not fun to drop with 2-3 other squads and find nothing just to die with your fists out.

I think it was Doc who said PUBG actually had some benefits over Apex to both play and watch because it was a much more meaningful journey to being in the top 10. Whereas in Apex, even with my shit tier friends who are lucky to hit 50-100 damage in a game, we can just drop in some obscure spot in the corner, move slow and make it to the top 3. Yet you can even drop in a distant corner in pubg and still get fights that play out differently every time in comparison. Despite the maps being vastly bigger.

But the game has some real big plusses too, the gun play overal feels good, can land some really solid hits that feel skillful etc.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Asshat Brando

Potato del Grande
<Banned>
Not disagreeing with any of your gripes but would say that aside from the 2020/mozambique most of the other weapons are useful and about on the same level. I personally won't use Wingman's as some games I'm headshotting everybody and other games I'll empty a whole clip and hit air and the game is over but that's just me. A Spitfire/Eva8 or 301/Eva8 combo is all I'm ever really looking for but in the end I'll run almost any combo where early game I have the most mods for it as that's the biggest differentiation I find.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I fucking destroy people with the Prowler lately, hopped up or not.

Like, killing people almost by accident, frequently. Oh I clicked twice and they died? Weird.

Bonus points because the rest of my normal squad doesn't really use heavy much, so some games I can just go hemlock/prowler and fuck picking up any ammo that isn't heavy.

Asshat Brando

Potato del Grande
<Banned>
I fucking destroy people with the Prowler lately, hopped up or not.

Like, killing people almost by accident, frequently. Oh I clicked twice and they died? Weird.

Bonus points because the rest of my normal squad doesn't really use heavy much, so some games I can just go hemlock/prowler and fuck picking up any ammo that isn't heavy.

Yeah, if I get an early select fire prowler I'm rocking that shit till the end. It can just destroy people.

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
I feel like the popularity is dropping off fast for a lot of reasons that I'm hoping some new weapons/new map, other change can help fix it.

My biggest gripes that are killing my interest personally is what feels like the lack of replayability and different situations.

1) 50-90% of the players jump out of the plane they moment that "smash that E button to eject" appears. Seriously, watch it some games, you will see it go from 60 players down to 10 or less sometimes within 5 seconds, especially if Skulltown is reachable from the initial drop.

2) Still way too much of the meta revolves around the fucking wingman and peacekeeper. I think ultimately they're ok as weapons but the other weapons leave a lot to be desired in a lot of situations. Some are garbage (p2020, mozambique hi), others are too rare. And the really shitty ones are still way too common. I think this is also possibly a spawn rate issue or situational use It really pisses me off when I'm not the jump master. if I'm with pugs (or sometimes even with friends) and we go Skulltown for the hot drop, I'll end up running through 5+ buildings and sometimes just come out with nothing other than attachments/grenades, or even just p2020's and mozambiques. Then someone, who could be an absolute shitter, but with good rng luck, walks in with an r99/301/peacekeeper etc and blue+ armor from their first building and puts me back to the lobby.

But I appreciate the fun that CAN be had in skulltown or other busy close range/indoor areas, IF the RNG isn't shit and I can get the loot to actually enjoy a fight. The game is great fun in close quarters around compounds. The open area fights are pretty boring and predictable, because the game/map focuses more on close range than long range encounters and open areas are just exposed hills with the occasional cliff or rock to hide behind, and just makes you an easy victim of a 3rd party as well. And this may also be why other weapons feel useless, because the game focuses so much around pushing close range fights. Sniper rifles dont have as much use as the other weapons because of it. The main one I will use is the scout because for some reason I do decently with it in close range when I run out of ammo on my primary and just hip fire it or 1x sight it.

3) map is way too small/lacking in amount of weapon spawns in the map for the size. There are a LOT of compound areas that look busy but there is hardly any loot in them. The water treatment place looks massive, but has very minimal weapon spawns. The water itself, the structures around the water etc have nothing. So it's just the main building and some supply chests. It's barely enough for 1-2 squads to start a fight. It's not fun to drop with 2-3 other squads and find nothing just to die with your fists out.

I think it was Doc who said PUBG actually had some benefits over Apex to both play and watch because it was a much more meaningful journey to being in the top 10. Whereas in Apex, even with my shit tier friends who are lucky to hit 50-100 damage in a game, we can just drop in some obscure spot in the corner, move slow and make it to the top 3. Yet you can even drop in a distant corner in pubg and still get fights that play out differently every time in comparison. Despite the maps being vastly bigger.

But the game has some real big plusses too, the gun play overal feels good, can land some really solid hits that feel skillful etc.

I mainly stopped because skill floor is too high. I suck at this game and don't feel like investing time to getting halfway decent. Avoiding fights gets you top 2-3 too easily. So I can just hide all game and get placed high or if I get in fights either myself or teammates get dicked immediately. Only a fraction of the games play out in a meaningful/fun manner. Of course this is coming from someone that always plays with randos. If you have a set team of friends I bet it's much more enjoyable.

Cybsled

People all jumping the second the door opens happens in every BR. They either all drop at the nearest hotspot, or make a b-line for the good spots.

Wingman/Peacekeeper are overrated, IMO. Sure, they pack a punch in a single hit, but Peacekeeper is still close range and a slow ROF. An Eva-8 is going to beat it every time shotgun wise unless you allow yourself to eat a PK blast point blank. Wingman has better range than PK, but it still suffers from slow ROF. If you get a surprise shot off, great, but anything throwing out bullets at a higher ROF is going to win usually.

I rarely die to Wing/PK post early game, unless it is some fucking hacker from China using a Wingman with 100% headshot accuracy.

Braen

<Medals Crew>
L-Star coming soon?

Seems to have a "tripod" I wonder if they will ever add prone. Would make the sniper meta a LOT more popular

Tarisk

Pathetic Reaction Bot
L-Star coming soon?

View attachment 201937

Seems to have a "tripod" I wonder if they will ever add prone. Would make the sniper meta a LOT more popular

I don't believe it would make the sniper meta any different. Game is too focused on chasing fights and being the 3rd party in a fight. No time to prone in an area that someone probably won't even show up in.