Apple/Mac Thread

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
Oh I get it.

Apple is so intuitive and great that I have to enable this insanely common feature.

smh

Dr Neir

Trakanon Raider
Going to assume this wasnt one of your choices to get a MAC. :confused:

I had to go thru the pain of learning the small differences. Once you know what the ctlr-alt-del "Option-Command-Esc" and change the other crap from default like the genie bar and show as list instead of the grid, I was good.
I quickly got the hang of it and like the mac side vs window as a majority. Spacebar to preview is one of the best things besides the zoom feature.

Command is the propeller or on a non-mac KB the win-key.
Option is on the mac KB. Dont think I ever looked or remapped for option on non mac KB. I just plug one in if I JUST have to, rare.

Command-X Cut the selected item and copy it to the Clipboard.
Command-C Copy the selected item to the Clipboard. This also works for files in the Finder.
Command-V Paste the contents of the Clipboard into the current document or app. This also works for files in the Finder.
Command-Z Undo the previous command. You can then press Command-Shift-Z to Redo, reversing the undo command. In some apps, you can undo and redo multiple commands.
Command-A Select All items.
Command-F Find items in a document or open a Find window.
Command-G Find Again: Find the next occurrence of the item previously found. To find the previous occurrence, press Command-Shift-G.
Command-H Hide the windows of the front app. To view the front app but hide all other apps, press Command-Option-H.
Command-M Minimize the front window to the Dock. To minimize all windows of the front app, press Command-Option-M.
Command-N New: Open an new document or window.
Command-O Open the selected item, or open a dialog to select a file to open.
Command-P Print the current document.
Command-S Save the current document.
Command-W Close the front window. To close all windows of the app, press Command-Option-W.
Command-Q Quit the app.
Option-Command-Esc Force Quit: Choose an app to force quit. Or press Command-Shift-Option-Esc and hold for 3 seconds to force just the front app to quit.
Command–Space bar Spotlight: Show or hide the Spotlight search field. To perform a Spotlight search from a Finder window, press Command–Option–Space bar. If you use multiple input sources to type in different languages, these shortcuts change input sources instead of showing Spotlight.
Space bar Quick Look: Use Quick Look to preview the selected item.
Command-Tab Switch apps: Switch to the next most recently used app among your open apps.
Shift-Command-Tilde (~) Switch windows: Switch to the next most recently used window of the front app.
Shift-Command-3 Screenshot: Take a screenshot of the entire screen. Learn more screenshot shortcuts.
Command-Comma (,) Preferences: Open preferences for the front app.

Lenas

Trump's Staff
Do you honestly think not knowing keyboard shortcuts are why people don't automatically like macOS? Nearly all Windows commands are the same, you just switch one key, not rocket science. Option is not some new key Apple made, it's fucking Alt.

I am a Mac fan but your post is retarded.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Dr Neir

Trakanon Raider
Actually yes.
An average windows flunky going into the Mac world can be just that simple of some irritation, specially if they are doing things on their own.
I watched Windows slowly pulling some of the same things Mac used GUI, menu and etc in their OS so that is semi moot now, but win7 days it was bit different. Small things like double tap an open window to full screen vs it closes can run some ppl insane.

I assume someone jumping to mac from windows may have been on windows platform long enough to know some standard shortcuts. There are way other things that can push the differences like watching someone new try to find the network settings or even open the home drive folder.

Alt/option if I remember correctly this wasnt always that way. Bootcamps and disc targeting as I remember was of some pain on non apple kb. Something I never needed to venture into often without an apple KB, so wasnt much concern.
Unrelated, other pains have been trash canning files on NTFS external drive then ejecting it and lastly empty trashcan = crash. Macs with dvd drives but no longer in the system and windows install via USB stick.

I am a MAC & PC user; Mac by choice/software development, PC for gaming/software development. No means a fan since the company treats its computer end of things like a redheaded step child. If it isnt iOS related, they skip past it.

Hmmm...
Been awhile since I bumped into a Highnose Sidewalk Phone & Coffee holder.

635654752303207851-AP-Digital-Life-Review-Getting-To-Know-Apple-Watch.2.jpg

Ignatius, let me know how that eGPU works out. This might be a future option later. I heard some time ago those were coming. I stopped waiting/looking. Seems they are finally out.

• 1Like

Ignatius

#thePewPewLife
Ignatius, let me know how that eGPU works out. This might be a future option later. I heard some time ago those were coming. I stopped waiting/looking. Seems they are finally out.

Will do. It was apparently kinda iffy (unless you were doing Bootcamp) due to lack of 10 series drivers from Nvidia, but I guess they released them a week or two ago.

Will report back when I have a chance to test!

Dr Neir

Trakanon Raider
Excellent, the windows lack of drivers would be the stopping point for me. I'm sure that will be fixed in no time. Curious to see how it preforms on different macs. I will have to talk a buddy into getting one if he hasnt already gotten one to see what performance works on what system.

Still eyeing the ebay board upgrades for the 2009 to 2010 pro with maxed ram.

Ignatius

#thePewPewLife
That's what I was looking at too. Enclosure came in, but I'm in butt fucking Kansas for my baby brother's graduation so I can't test yet :(
Excellent, the windows lack of drivers would be the stopping point for me. I'm sure that will be fixed in no time. Curious to see how it preforms on different macs. I will have to talk a buddy into getting one if he hasnt already gotten one to see what performance works on what system.

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
Well now I'm more used to all the Mac keyboard shortcuts and it's messing up my PC shortcut muscle memory.

FML

• 1Solidarity

Ignatius

#thePewPewLife

I guess the forum reset thing ate my post?

I got it working, make sure you use good usb-c cables. The longer one I bought off amazon wouldn't work at all.

Only tested using Hots and Dota but my Mac was able to max out both of them. You have to plug the external displays into the eGPU for now, and then set them as the primary display. There is a way to have the eGPU power the internal display, but I didn't get that far with it.

So far my only real complaint is you can't hot plug it, you have to shutdown > plug in, shutdown > unplug. But since my Mac boots so fast, it's not really that big of a deal.

Dr Neir

Trakanon Raider
Interesting, I'm guessing this due to drivers or OS not seeing it correctly or at all? Is this on OSX and PC (bootcamp) or just one of those OS's? I know the Sony tv thing a buddy got few years ago was getting way different results between the two.

Ignatius

#thePewPewLife
Interesting, I'm guessing this due to drivers or OS not seeing it correctly or at all? Is this on OSX and PC (bootcamp) or just one of those OS's? I know the Sony tv thing a buddy got few years ago was getting way different results between the two.

So right now, my Mac is setup with just the macOS partition (I have parallels installed, but it's running in cohesion mode, so I don't think it made an actual partition? either way, I have no used Parallels sine doing this).

MacOS definitely sees my 1080 though, and I was able to update the drivers for it (using beta) from Nvidia.

macss.png

The setup was honestly pretty damn easy if you take out my cable issue. Probably took all of 15 minutes to get going.

(With the eGPU unplugged) Go into recovery and disable SIP (can re-enable later)...Recovery > Utilities > Terminal> csrutil disable and hit return.
Plug the eGPU in, boot normally, go into Terminal and type

curl -o ~/Desktop/automate-eGPU.sh https://raw.githubusercontent.com/goalque/automate-eGPU/master/automate-eGPU.sh

chmod +x ~/Desktop/automate-eGPU.sh

cd ~/Desktop

sudo ./automate-eGPU.sh

It should ask for your password, then a few prompts for if you want to allow a download.

You may need to go to Nvidia and get the specific drivers for your card (not sure how AMD works, didn't try), and then try that last step again. Once that's all done, reboot, and you should be good to go!

Dr Neir

Trakanon Raider
awesome info, I will save that for later. Might be sometime before I am dabble into this.

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
So right now, my Mac is setup with just the macOS partition (I have parallels installed, but it's running in cohesion mode, so I don't think it made an actual partition? either way, I have no used Parallels sine doing this).

MacOS definitely sees my 1080 though, and I was able to update the drivers for it (using beta) from Nvidia.

View attachment 143420

The setup was honestly pretty damn easy if you take out my cable issue. Probably took all of 15 minutes to get going.

(With the eGPU unplugged) Go into recovery and disable SIP (can re-enable later)...Recovery > Utilities > Terminal> csrutil disable and hit return.
Plug the eGPU in, boot normally, go into Terminal and type

curl -o ~/Desktop/automate-eGPU.sh https://raw.githubusercontent.com/goalque/automate-eGPU/master/automate-eGPU.sh

chmod +x ~/Desktop/automate-eGPU.sh

cd ~/Desktop

sudo ./automate-eGPU.sh

It should ask for your password, then a few prompts for if you want to allow a download.

You may need to go to Nvidia and get the specific drivers for your card (not sure how AMD works, didn't try), and then try that last step again. Once that's all done, reboot, and you should be good to go!

I assume this works pretty well if you just bootcamp into Windows rather than trying to use OSX games?

Ignatius

#thePewPewLife
I assume this works pretty well if you just bootcamp into Windows rather than trying to use OSX games?
Everything I've read says yes, however I have not actually tried it in bootcamp.

Apple announced today they are supporting eGPU's starting with macOS High Sierra (dumb name is dumb), which comes out soon, so if you don't feel like messing with these steps, can just wait. bit.

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
Everything I've read says yes, however I have not actually tried it in bootcamp.

Apple announced today they are supporting eGPU's starting with macOS High Sierra (dumb name is dumb), which comes out soon, so if you don't feel like messing with these steps, can just wait. bit.

Wait and hope the game you want to play runs in OSX also, yes?

Dr Neir

Trakanon Raider
Saw the Dyson Marshmallow or rather Dyson Toilet paper speaker.
iMac at $5k? Seems high to me, guessing this is their replacement for the Dyson Trashcan until or if it gets refreshed?

Not really an iOS fan, cant see buying a $799 iPad vs just getting new mac mini.
Havent really embraced the fablet era, keep running into storage issues or data limits. Then there's the too big to pocket vs just carry a laptop.

Ya, the eGPU is an interest but at this rate I will be using my 2009 mac pro until it dies. Given the price of something that you can use for normal gaming......(wait for it).......in bootcamp, just cheaper to get a mac mini and gaming PC with kvm. With an eGPU that might help limp it along for another 1 or 2 maybe?

They had a chance to shine with the apple tv in gaming but seem to drop the ball on that one.

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
People still like the MacBook Air? Wife wants a new laptop and Microcenter is selling the newest model, which is like 2 years old at this point, for $699. Specs are fairly similar to the new MacBook just announced except for the Retina display which she doesn't seem to care about.

Not even sure what the latest OS you can install on this is... need to figure that out too I guess.