Apple/Mac Thread

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
So I got the Apple TV 4k yesterday, and I might have missed the boat on these little media boxes but this shit is pretty cool. I installed Plex on my main computer, got that all configured, and installed the Plex app on the apple TV. And the Netflix app. That's how I use media these days, either I torrent shit or I netflix shit. If it's not available on netflix I torrent it.

So, for the apple TV it's either plex or netflix. Which I'm sure any of the boxes can do. What I don't think they can do is airplay, because anything I can play on my ipad or macbook I can now seamlessly and perfectly play on the TV, without dicking with HDMI or dongles or parking my macbook in front of the TV. Might seem like a picky solution but having just that one tiny box under the TV is pretty sweet.

I don't know anything about the difference between the old Apple TV's and this, but this shit is pretty clean. Like it a lot.
Androids version of AirPlay is exactly what Google Chromecast is based off of. Android doesn't call it anything other than streaming though.

Apple TV is nice though because Chromecast's only option AFAIK is to stream from another device. At least Apple TV will run apps on its own if you want.

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
I want one but have zero use for it :(

Same, it is a pretty juiced up iMac but for what I do with my computer there's just no need. I still have a late 2013 iMac and it is perfectly fine. Unlike old iPhones that seem to be unusable after a couple years (yes I've read the battery slowdown articles) the old Macs seem to keep trucking and be perfectly usable.

chorboy

Silver Knight of the Realm
Almost pulled the trigger and bought a 2016 macbook pro with that B&H sale but I decided not to.

Def waiting until 32gb of ram and for a better graphics card to be put into the macbook pro's.

iMac Pro actually isn't bad from what i've been reading regarding benchmarks/real time tests, still think price is a bit outrageous but it's apple.

Ignatius

#thePewPewLife
Wish they’d hurry up with the supported eGPU stuff for high sierra. Last I heard it got pushed back to spring :/

Kuriin

Just a Nurse
Yeah, I’m disappointed with the graphics of the iMac pro. I’ll be doing EGPU.

Lenas

Trump's Staff
$5,000 base and it still has a disappointing GPU? That's gotta sting.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
Almost pulled the trigger and bought a 2016 macbook pro with that B&H sale but I decided not to.

Def waiting until 32gb of ram and for a better graphics card to be put into the macbook pro's.
Not sure about the graphics card, but the biggest investment you can have to stretch your mac's life is more memory. The 7-year old macs at work were sliding into borderline unusable for any serious work (Office got renamed as "The wheel of fortune") because we didn't upgrade the memory when they were purchased.

Ignatius

#thePewPewLife
I wish I could've gotten more than 16gb on mine. Will probably sell the one I have and get a new one if that becomes an option. I don't think the GPU is worth dumping money into anymore with eGPU's on the rise.

chorboy

Silver Knight of the Realm
Not sure about the graphics card, but the biggest investment you can have to stretch your mac's life is more memory. The 7-year old macs at work were sliding into borderline unusable for any serious work (Office got renamed as "The wheel of fortune") because we didn't upgrade the memory when they were purchased.
I do a lot of drafting and the gpu is super important to me, and yeah i'm sitting at 8gb still and its really draining on a lot of the newer programs.

Flipmode

EQOA Refugee
Couple of questions for all you Mac users. What is adblock extension of choice for Safari on OS X? Is Chrome better than Safari in OS X?

Lenas

Trump's Staff
Couple of questions for all you Mac users. What is adblock extension of choice for Safari on OS X? Is Chrome better than Safari in OS X?
Step 1 don't use Safari. Honestly, fuck you if you do. Source: web developer.

Step 2 use new Firefox or Chrome with Adblock Plus.

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Ignatius

#thePewPewLife
Step 1 don't use Safari. Honestly, fuck you if you do. Source: web developer.

Step 2 use new Firefox or Chrome with Adblock Plus.
Out of curiosity, what do you not like about Safari?

Anyone get one of those homepods? Heard the sound is top notch, but Siri is still dumb as paint.

Lenas

Trump's Staff
Out of curiosity, what do you not like about Safari?
It's basically going the way that early Internet Explorer went, using a bunch of unique browser properties that no other browser supports and aren't standard. Apple also stubbornly refuses to add service workers, which means web apps can't support things like offline content or notifications.