Apple/Mac Thread

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
I got the retina MacBook Pro, mid 2015. Really would not want to use any other laptop ever.

chorboy

Silver Knight of the Realm
Oh shit i might have to check that out, pretty limited on games for my mac~

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Dr Neir

Trakanon Raider
mini, couple mac pros, couple macbook pros, appleTV, shitty airport extreme.
Friends are wanting me to flash one of my pros to allow for the new OS coming. Would allow me to get the cheaper ram and swap out the chips to 8cores I think? I could just buy the board complete with maxed ram also, not sure if I want to drop $800 for that just yet. Its working fine with the new video card Radeon(R9 380).

Brad

Trakanon Raider
Exclusively using iPad Pro 12.9" with the Logitech Create keyboard. Very happy with it and do not do productivity work with computers, so all is good. Not using any laptops or PC at all.

Will be getting iPhone 8 when it comes out as I think they will be releasing it with an all glass body similar to the old iPhone 4 which I loved very much. That rumour has better be true.

Would like to get a Mac Pro, but that will have to be put on the backburner as I have other things to do and worry about for now. Probably won't get it for the next couple of years at the soonest.

chorboy

Silver Knight of the Realm
Exclusively using iPad Pro 12.9" with the Logitech Create keyboard. Very happy with it and do not do productivity work with computers, so all is good. Not using any laptops or PC at all.

Will be getting iPhone 8 when it comes out as I think they will be releasing it with an all glass body similar to the old iPhone 4 which I loved very much. That rumour has better be true.

Would like to get a Mac Pro, but that will have to be put on the backburner as I have other things to do and worry about for now. Probably won't get it for the next couple of years at the soonest.
Don't even bother with the Mac Pro it hasn't been updated since 2013, and even for 2013 standards it didn't even have top of the line hardware. (obviously this is the now but i can see apple being cunts even then.)

Ignatius

#thePewPewLife
I miss the old Mac Pro. The new one is very cool from a design standpoint, but very expensive for what it is. There were a butt load of issues at launch too, but havent been seeing as many lately.

Dr Neir

Trakanon Raider
Given the rate Apple has been shitting on their computer line. i wont be shocked if they exit the market of them in 10 years and replaced with desktop docking stations for the IOS device to mimic a desktop. They are about there now hardware wise. My understanding the Air, IMac and Mini are roughly same gutwise. Pro is the only true different animal. Matter of time before all but the pro be the same hardware. iphone, ipad, imac, mini, etc.... You just have the choice of shells you like but you are basically getting the same item.
Feels like the new Pro would be a next network workhorse you connect to via apple tv. Given the statement above, you could do that and if you need the video power, get a pro to add to your network for the extra performance.

My impression anyways. Slowing becoming unhappy with apple.

Ignatius

#thePewPewLife
Well, the rumor is (and I'm certainly not in the know, not that important) that there are some big Mac reveals coming in the next few weeks/moths. There are a lot of people internally upset about the lack of attention towards OS X and the generally shitty iOS releases we've been seeing come down the pipe (lots of super nasty bugs..iOS 8.2 disabling the phone feature and 9.2 making links un-openable where especially bad...dont get me started on Apple Music).

The Macbook was a disappointment all around. I still recommend people go for the Air over the Macbook since it has a better battery and processing power (but no excuse for it's poor screen at this point) .The Pro's aren't bad especially since the baseline ram was upped.

iMacs are ok and would fill a nice work/home computer niche. The 5k display is gorgeous, but is somewhat handicapped by the fact the video card blows (wish we'd go back to Nvidia instead of AMD).

The Mac Pro not being upgradeable is also terrible. If they could keep that design, and still make it modular (tall order I know), I'd be sold on it.

I have two iMacs for work and a Macbook Pro, but I usually end up just throwing my Macbook in a dock and using the iMacs as displays. Hopefully you're wrong about OS X dying off because I really, really do like it as an os (still have a PC I keep updated for games though).

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
I love OS/X as a productivity OS and apple hardware is good enough for that, but it sucks for gaming and I don't want a separate PC just for that. Gay

• 1Like

Ignatius

#thePewPewLife
I'd even be ok if it was officially supported to add a video card externally. Right now you can, but it's hit or miss it it will work and it's a pain in the ass.

Dr Neir

Trakanon Raider
Ya, I prefer the OSx also. Wish they would stop dropping the ball. I wasnt impressed the last time i had to hit the iWait store.
Had to bring in the macbook pro, last of the 17" series due to video problems. It was the poor solder thing, it wasnt showing the config/debug for the tech. They were going to have me cash up $300 for the repairs. Last min it finally dropped the black screen and worked. Took about 5min after boot to show anything but black screen.

Buddy was telling me much later what the problem was with the solder on the video cards thing. Had no clue but glad they covered it. No apple care and even if it was, $300. Think I was more unhappy to sit there with 30 other ppl at this giant table watching 2 screens flipping thru the same 4 pics. What a waste, they could have at the least showed app commercials, games, reviews, upcoming tech, or just plain old apple commercials while I wait like cattle.
I really hate when I have to go in there, I feel like I am being rude if I have to hunt someone down to inform them I am there for my appointment. No central person or area to let them know. Just odd to me.

I will have to do the firmware upgrade on one of my mac pros this year to enable it for the new OSx coming. Not sure if I care at this point, my other Pro wont be able to get that update, so it will be stuck at El Crapiton.
Cant complain honestly, got them from the local college for $350 each at different years. Think I ran Snow Leopard up till Mavericks? I know ppl that still have powerPC and are still working ok. Using the one as my gaming rig with the upgraded card. It works good, not sure when I last flipped it over to the mac side. Just easier to do my non gaming stuff on another mac and use that one just for gaming.

Not sure whats going on at the big house, but I am thinking there needs to be a changing of the guards. Too much stuff with bugs and problems slowly creeping out, plus the replacement option on broken items doesnt seem to be as easy as it was. Seems they have been cracking down on what they will replace for free. Feels like its a slow change to get ppl to pony up money now vs how it was. Maybe I am imagining that? Doesnt feel like it though.

Ignatius

#thePewPewLife
The iOS team should be drawn and quartered. The wait at the retail stores is actually something my group has been working on. We're making a big push to try and weed out issues that can be solved without going into the stores and are opening more lines of communication (Twitter being our latest...and it's actually been doing really, really well!)

A lot of stores are also being remodeled to be bigger in order to keep up with the demand.

Ignatius

#thePewPewLife
Usually it's repairs or they can't figure it out themselves (which is why we've been trying to catch them before they go to the stores). Tends to be an older crowed, or super young. If you need to swap out a broken phone asap and can't wait for shipping, the stores are usually a nice option.

There are some things that just can't be helped. For example, kid who jailbreaks his phone, can't figure out recovery mode...gotta send him to the store and do it for him.

The other big reason is if you can't complain your way to free shit from Applecare, Geniuses tend to much more liberal with giving stuff away mostly to make people be quiet.

When I did tech support way back when, I got "yelled" at for not giving away enough customer satisfaction codes, I doubt that's changed much. We don't even charge for support anymore (unofficially).

• 1Like