Aradune Returns to EQ aka the EQ Nostalgia thread

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Serpentine Bracer: AC: 1 DEX: +3 AGI: +9
Crafted Bracer: AC: 10 DEX: +2 INT: +2

Exactly, relaunch the game in 2013 or even 2006 and someone posts 20+ hour long parses wearing 2 of each of those bracers. Back in 1999-2000 someone would wear Serp Bracers or more likely have a pair for sale and swear up and down that 9agi 1dex was better than 9ac or vice versa if they had Crafted.

Back then hand-crafted items was flavor, in a modern parse heavy environment it would just be x is better than y, camp Evil Eyes or re-animated hand until you have 2.
Not if you dont know WTF the stats actually do, if anything at all, as in early EQ.

Caeden

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Right...so a dude would spend time now collecting items that allow him to run pseudo-DoE's and back out scaling laws for each stat for each ability....

I think the point is that nerds today would test the shit out of it.

Jait

Molten Core Raider
I think the point is that nerds today would test the shit out of it.
We did. We even had spell.dat parsers really, really early. But try explaining to someone Harmony doesn't gives mana regen or how things soft capped at 200, it's just easier to believe in the magic of the game. Rumors were more fun than fact.

Utnayan

F16 patrolling Rajaah until he plays DS3
<Gold Donor>
My favorite rumor was the 8th floor of TOFS.

That was one other good thing as a guide. I could verify if shit actually existed. I so wish I could show you the screenshots of end zones for each expansion (where I shouldn't have been in but always explained my way out of them - Kunark through PoP - but I cannot find which drive the pics are on and have been looking on and off for a year now) We were always told we couldn't go into them because we may map out pathing and gain an unfair advantage on our play servers. The only reason why they didn't want anyone going in there was because half the damn zone were developer blocks.

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
Not buying that one Utnayan. Sorry
You cannot troll me
smile.png

But in case you are serious, you can ask anyone that was a Guide or Senior Guide. Seniors could go into well known raid areas that were around a while with permission from the GM for rezzes due to bugs, or if a GM needed to repop a zone they would be able to assist with getting people out of there before a repop or if bugs happened during, but the other zones were way off limits no matter what. Like Plane of Fear or hate. During PoP they relaxed the permissions on Vanilla through Velious raid zones, but still had a major lock down on PoP content. Powater was a mess. If anyone remembers a bug where your FPS would hit the shits? That was a well placed one.

/zone potimea

"Why are/were you in there?"

"Sorry about that, I meant to use "who" to see if anyone was in there yet, mistype!"

"Yeah probably not, it's a high level raid zone. They won't be there for months."

"Oh ok!"

Using speed greaves, or was it the clickable boots? I forget. I could scout an entire area in 2 minutes and blame the rest on load time/lag to the logging server of my commands being used.

smile.png

Jait

Molten Core Raider
Senior guides could also summon people they didn't like to VP and bind them there in an endless death loop.

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
Senior guides could also summon people they didn't like to VP and bind them there in an endless death loop.
Haha I remember that. That was hilarious.

http://www.brokentoys.org/1999/12/31...de-author-lum/

I loved this part...

"We do our best to accept guides that, well, won't do this sort of thing."

I wonder how the interview process went after that. "If you get mad would you ever summon a bunch of players to VP and put them in a death loop?"

No = Grats you are an apprentice guide.
Yes = Grats you are not.

kudos

<Banned>
You can go as far back as beta interviews where players parsed all kinds of shit out of spells and asked devs really intricate questions about game mechanics. It's not like nerds have all of a sudden gotten smarter.

Lambourne

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
We had a sort of running competition for number of guide deaths. Guide characters had a flag where they wouldn't get proximity aggro but they certainly weren't immortal and the guide gear actually had fairly bad stats. You'd intentionally aggro a mob (east commons innkeepers stuck on a roof come to mind) and then memblur it to try and reset it, sometimes you'd lag out and get splattered. I also hit a banker by accident once, went splat in front of a dozen players.

Some of the GMs were really cool, they'd run events, turn us into 200ft tall Innoruuks and summon us to various places you couldn't normally get to (cat room in befallen was one, the "prison" in qeycat was another). Others knew less about the game than we did.

rrr_img_17335.jpg

rrr_img_17335.jpg

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
My brother was a Guide on Solusek Ro I think... I remember running around Plane of Hate before it was populated and released on his guy.

I tried to be a Guide but I was only 14 or 15 and you needed to be 18... they asked for me to mail them a copy of my driver's license to prove I was as old as I said I was
frown.png

frown.png

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
Some of the GMs were really cool, they'd run events, turn us into 200ft tall Innoruuks and summon us to various places you couldn't normally get to (cat room in befallen was one, the "prison" in qeycat was another). Others knew less about the game than we did.
rrr_img_17335.jpg
Internets to whoever knows who owned the cat in the cat box.

rrr_img_17335.jpg

Tol_sl

shitlord
Another guide checking in. Our server GM was basically lax as hell and didn't want to deal with anything, so I think most of us abused the various "forbidden" zones. On your first day they sent you this, "EVERYTHING THE LIGHT TOUCHES IS YOUR KINGDOM, BUT YOU MUST NEVER GO TO THESE SHADOWY PLACES" email complete with a list of zones not to go to. So naturally everyone wanted to go and check it out. One of my friends on another server said that their server GM actually was super neurotic and read through every guides logs for any perceived violations. I guess our server GM just didn't care, which would explain why he also would leave red petitions in the queue for upwards ofmonths. I remember apologizing profusely to this one guy who had been petitioning an issue for 3-4 weeks at a time, only to have his petition repeatedly deleted and need to be re-escalated because the server would go down. My experience was that GMs were either super helpful and helped people regardless of if they "technically" needed it, they were letter-of-the-law dicks, or they put in the most barebones hours you could possibly imagine and you never saw them. It seemed like our servers senior guides treated it like more of a job than the GMs did.

Royal

Connoisseur of Exotic Pictures
I can't find the original post, but Prathun said the anti-camp radius was real in some thread about 'old eq rumors'. [/url]
McQuaid talked about it on the original Sigil forums back before they were revealing any info about Vanguard at all (even the name) and there was really nothing to talk about but old EQ stories and info. He said it had been briefly implemented in beta but it had been removed due to being a bit buggy and they changed their minds about it before ever getting around to fixing it. I always imagined it would have provided just one more avenue for griefing the hell out of people.

People swore it worked at launch on Orc Trainer camp though haha, I remember that shit everyone sitting at bottom of ramp then racing up to get the kill just to not see a shield. While I sat farming those stupid bracers/earrings to sell.

taebin

Same trailer, different park
Man, had a macro that was just /p TAE!!!!!!!! TAE TAE TAE STOP FIGHTING GO TO TAEEEEEE NOW!!! for throne room camps.