Aradune Returns to EQ aka the EQ Nostalgia thread

Quaid

Trump's Staff
I used that tutorial hack or something similar to scope out the plane of hate before it was released. I was really surprised to find that it was essentially neriak themed zone.
Neriak is a plane of hate themed zone
wink.png

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
In reference to the guys talking about hacking the tutorial:

I don't remember how I found out about it (this was prior to the advent of google after all), but you could hex edit a line in the tutorial to load any zone you wanted. The funny thing was the tutorial npcs and whatnot would still spawn at their /locs and would lock you down until you did the action required to unlock your movement. I don't remember what the different tasks were but they were usually impossible due to the nature of the zone layout not being the same as the tutorial (so you had to crash and reopen the tutorial - you couldn't even quit it normally).

It was far from perfect since almost everything but the terrain and buildings were server side (doors, teleporters, all npcs, etc). But for a scrub like me who was 12 years old and just wanted to see Plane of Hate or whatever, it was pretty cool.

I don't remember anything about an EQ Zone Viewer. When did that come around?

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I loaded EQ zone viewer one time, when I heard you could look at the unreleased Plane of War from PoP. I guess they said that the zone had some warped architecture that probably caused the mobs to act all fuckered up.

Saban_sl

shitlord
I still have the original tutorial that came with my Kunark disk. I wonder if I could install it, and run the tutorial without running the patcher.
EQ titanium torrents had the original tutorial in them whenever i downloaded them for emu servers, ran just fine.

supertouch_sl

shitlord
^ christ did EQ have great music.
I didn't realize EQ had music until about a month into the game. A guy I frequently played with kept mentioning the music and I thought he was just messing with me. I checked the game's options and lo and behold the music was off by default. It certainly changed the experience.

Big_w_powah

Trakanon Raider
I loaded EQ zone viewer one time, when I heard you could look at the unreleased Plane of War from PoP. I guess they said that the zone had some warped architecture that probably caused the mobs to act all fuckered up.

In that second field, before Rallos's spawn, there was supposed to be a massive war waging from left to right 24/7. Aside from faction war exploits, which made it in anyways, there was issue with mob behavior in the field.

gogojira_sl

shitlord
Brad McQuaid is gone from SOE now and it sounds like he's working on a new project. Hopefully it's something related to his tweets over the past few weeks.

Check Twitter @aradune.

Zaide

TLP Idealist
Brad McQuaid is gone from SOE now and it sounds like he's working on a new project. Hopefully it's something related to his tweets over the past few weeks.

Check Twitter @aradune.
I'm beginning to lose faith in Brad.

Herv_sl

shitlord
Not sure if I missed this, but wasn't there a GM that went nuts and summoned random players either to VP or Sky and bound them in the cat room before he got fired?

Also, Sebilis keys weren't soul bound either early on. Had to have 2 of em and duel outside, and that was when the duel messages were server wide.

Flight

Molten Core Raider
In that second field, before Rallos's spawn, there was supposed to be a massive war waging from left to right 24/7. Aside from faction war exploits, which made it in anyways, there was issue with mob behavior in the field.
Presuming everyone knows that Plane of War is going live this month as part of this years anniversary event.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
yeah PoW is gonna be live, they've been talking about it for quite awhile

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
idk if they've said the level range yet, but supposedly its going to have open-world PVP even on blue servers.

Column_sl

shitlord
Not sure if I missed this, but wasn't there a GM that went nuts and summoned random players either to VP or Sky and bound them in the cat room before he got fired?

Also, Sebilis keys weren't soul bound either early on. Had to have 2 of em and duel outside, and that was when the duel messages were server wide.
Pretty sure it was a Guide who did that, and that is right when they starting locking them down in CS HOME.