Aradune Returns to EQ aka the EQ Nostalgia thread

Modo_sl

shitlord
@Krassus

Yeah the Blood of Ro Zerg definitely existed but was also pretty exaggerated by the time it was being highlighted at fohguild, and I think it only got attention then because Searyx was in our guild. I can't imagine there weren't guilds tackling bosses with similar numbers on every other realm.

To be really fair, Bummr was excellent at recruitment and just wanted to make sure we had enough on that we could always raid something, and not be standing around without enough to pull something. I remember seeing Destiny sitting in front of a lot of bosses with 30-40 people and it "not being enough" or at least them not killing bosses. 16 year old me was always really irritated that we weren't doing things as surgically as Paradigm or Destiny, but at the end of the day, it was kinda nice always being able to raid, assuming there was content up that the Euros hadn't killed.

I think that Tormax screenshot got super notorious but some other guild had already wiped to it so it made it seem a little worse than it actually was - that said there were far worse zergs on some other bosses, especially our early dain kills.

Does anyone have any screenshots of Sssorn's Public Tunare raid he did?

@bruuce Modo0 on Steam

Searyx was one the worst players to ever grace Sol Ro. He literally LIVED in Mistmoore farming poorly.
I remember taking as buddies druid in there with a twink of mine pulling zone while it was empty, him zoning in and trying to loot all the corpses haha.

Drinsic

privileged excrementlord
While all that content was there, and you are right that Kunark had less pure raid content, some of the stuff you list for Velious isnt as much as it sounds. For example ToV, 3 wings of raid content is true but what exactlly was in the west and east wing? One dragon each and a ton of trash to grind through that dropped some quest items. Although I gotta say this might be the nostalgia glasses talking but I see high points in every expansion I played (up to GoD), even if I cursed at the low points while drudging through them.
Pretty sure west had 3 dragons. Still not a loot train or anything though. I don't think I ever even went into the east wing.

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
Anybody remember Fansy the Bard? The Legacy of Steel link someone posted kickstarted a whole bunch of old EQ memories for me. Reading about Fansy's griefing was some of the best EQ entertainment to be had. The "Fansy returns" (basically him 'sploiting the Priest of Discord) is epic, assuming you weren't one of his victims of course..

http://www.notacult.com/fansythefamous.htm

Daybringer yes. The funny part is they could not even keep it secret if they wanted to. The first time Solteris is completed it changed the sky in Norrath from red back to normal, and the red skeletons stopped popping in every zone. Also, you can pull up items on /trader to see if they have dropped on the server yet.
Same went for OMM if I'm not mistaken. Doesn't he do an emote in WoS?

Yo, Frenzied- I used to read Fansy's exploits like a mofo. They were hilarious. I even copied him at times and would train BoT groups anonymously with warps to fuck people over, they never really saw it was me lol. Trains were so damn fun in EQ. Yea, they were shitty to receive, but they were powerful tools in server diplomacy.

Kreugen

Vyemm Raider
I enjoyed all the twinked out GM accounts or "friends" that showed up in various BOTB wearing gear that had never dropped. What was the warrior. Hsomethingorother?

And uh, I may have once been gifted a berserker with max AA with a day or so /played on a progression server, well after ghost kill was "fixed" for the first or third time. Heh.

It is funny reading about server drama because such a thing didn't exist on Veeshan once Kunark opened. Veeshan was our bitch by then.

Here's some Povar / Xev history.

I started on Povar with a few friends and I remember seeing Steel Accordance people (Kung, Aeen etc) in Oasis, they were in rubicite and killing giants, my mind was fucking blown, they seemed like gods. Awhile later one of my friends ended up joining them, they were the leading edge at the time, and were the first group to break into and farm fear on the server. I tagged along once (I was a cleric then) but was getting tired of the game and sold that character off.

I came back and at some point, late classic I think or at the latest early Kunark the guild split. Aeen I think left for FoH (then or later), and others formed Rising Ascension. I ended up joining them as a bard. I cannot recall who did what first, but I had the opinion that Triton at that point was somewhat second or even third tier at that point (very early on) and we were generally competing with Harm. I got kicked out of RA as a result of complaining about their loot system and some issues with the guild leader at the time. I ended up starting a new character.

Later RA had a large exodus and Altera Vita was made, with a handful of strong raiders and otherwise not so strong. I ended up joining them as it was everyone I knew, and none of the people I disliked. That was at the time that Povar was branching to Xev because I remember having to decide if I was going to move while applying. Competition was much stronger then, with people from all guilds having chars camped out everywhere to pick up whenever something spawned. RA and Triton stayed, AV and Harm went.

On Xev, it was us two guilds for a long time. We were always a step behind Harm, primarily because of start time. We had no coherent euros at the time so it was basically whoever could mobilize earlier and they could. I don't look back and think that skill was a big deal in EQ. Harm and AV had maybe 10-20 very skilled people each (this was more than most guilds, so skill didn't count for nothing) and you basically work to keep the other 15-20 people from fucking things up. There were some guilds that started to come up that I had to make a concerted effort to crush. I can't recall the names but Tomedius/Tome had one where we used our faster mobilization and start times to destroy. I vaguely recall him throwing a fit about it when we appeared out of nowhere to destroy cazic 2.0 just so that they couldn't. Those guilds inevitably would starve for shit to do and blow up, and then Harm and AV would split their members. Those that hated me for squishing them would go to harm and others would come to AV, which is how we both kept it going for so long.

The bad expansions after PoP, and Wow pretty much put an end to both guilds (they remained for a long time but nothing like they were).

I don't know that you'll have a game like that again. Everything is instanced now, no need to not necessarily compete, but just interact with other people. I have yet to play a game that had the interaction of say a lower guk or sol b.

Iwazaru_sl

shitlord
Kind of random for me I wasn't involved with Tunare at all but way after the fact EQ got brought up around some friends up here in Mpls and turns out a pretty close one was at least at one point the Talisman guild leader. He played a monk named Southern and then a wizard named Redrover. Anyway he and I get drunk and rehash old EQ stories all the time. Really cool dude. He grew up and has zero interest in games these days though.
Ask him if he knew about Khrolan's side business w/ selling drugs to fund his EQ habit. I do believe he eventually married one of the clerics and became a functioning member of society.

Sterling

El Presidente
Here's some Povar / Xev history.

I started on Povar with a few friends and I remember seeing Steel Accordance people (Kung, Aeen etc) in Oasis, they were in rubicite and killing giants, my mind was fucking blown, they seemed like gods. Awhile later one of my friends ended up joining them, they were the leading edge at the time, and were the first group to break into and farm fear on the server. I tagged along once (I was a cleric then) but was getting tired of the game and sold that character off.

I came back and at some point, late classic I think or at the latest early Kunark the guild split. Aeen I think left for FoH (then or later), and others formed Rising Ascension. I ended up joining them as a bard. I cannot recall who did what first, but I had the opinion that Triton at that point was somewhat second or even third tier at that point (very early on) and we were generally competing with Harm. I got kicked out of RA as a result of complaining about their loot system and some issues with the guild leader at the time. I ended up starting a new character.

Later RA had a large exodus and Altera Vita was made, with a handful of strong raiders and otherwise not so strong. I ended up joining them as it was everyone I knew, and none of the people I disliked. That was at the time that Povar was branching to Xev because I remember having to decide if I was going to move while applying. Competition was much stronger then, with people from all guilds having chars camped out everywhere to pick up whenever something spawned. RA and Triton stayed, AV and Harm went.

On Xev, it was us two guilds for a long time. We were always a step behind Harm, primarily because of start time. We had no coherent euros at the time so it was basically whoever could mobilize earlier and they could. I don't look back and think that skill was a big deal in EQ. Harm and AV had maybe 10-20 very skilled people each (this was more than most guilds, so skill didn't count for nothing) and you basically work to keep the other 15-20 people from fucking things up. There were some guilds that started to come up that I had to make a concerted effort to crush. I can't recall the names but Tomedius/Tome had one where we used our faster mobilization and start times to destroy. I vaguely recall him throwing a fit about it when we appeared out of nowhere to destroy cazic 2.0 just so that they couldn't. Those guilds inevitably would starve for shit to do and blow up, and then Harm and AV would split their members. Those that hated me for squishing them would go to harm and others would come to AV, which is how we both kept it going for so long.

The bad expansions after PoP, and Wow pretty much put an end to both guilds (they remained for a long time but nothing like they were).

I don't know that you'll have a game like that again. Everything is instanced now, no need to not necessarily compete, but just interact with other people. I have yet to play a game that had the interaction of say a lower guk or sol b.
Oh shit a Coray sighting.

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
Oh shit a Coray sighting.
I always wondered what happened to my nemesis
biggrin.png

What's up Coray? I'd say you have it fairly accurate except for taking credit for Harm's recruitment, lol. There were certainly a few that applied and "hated" you, but not the majority by any means, most simply wanted to be in a top-tier guild, not be several months behind in content. Also, Harm had very few Euros, I can only remember 1 Euro in our guild tbh, our members simply had no life
biggrin.png
. I played 14hrs a day minimum, we also had little competition to deal with. When we had to "race" we just had our squad of 20ish no-lifers, most of whom dual & trio boxed, making our raid ~35+ and then grabbed whatever outside-guild friends we could to succeed.

biggrin.png

biggrin.png

biggrin.png

biggrin.png

Sterling

El Presidente
Tome's guild was Praetorian Legion I think. I was one of AV's no-lifers myself at the time heh. Can't believe I played as much as I did back then.

I always wondered what happened to my nemesis
biggrin.png

What's up Coray? I'd say you have it fairly accurate except for taking credit for Harm's recruitment, lol. There were certainly a few that applied and "hated" you, but not the majority by any means, most simply wanted to be in a top-tier guild, not be several months behind in content. Also, Harm had very few Euros, I can only remember 1 Euro in our guild tbh, our members simply had no life
biggrin.png
. I played 14hrs a day minimum, we also had little competition to deal with. When we had to "race" we just had our squad of 20ish no-lifers, most of whom dual & trio boxed, making our raid ~35+ and then grabbed whatever outside-guild friends we could to succeed.
Harm certainly got their own recruits, I mean just by being #1 that's enough, but those guilds dying never hurt either of us. Praetorian Legion (thanks Sterling whoever you are) was one I knew would give decent recruits. It was like the cream of the C player crop but I'm sure we missed out on some because we were so hardcore about steamrolling them. Tome wasn't a bad guy and I think I told him I just couldn't have him trying to come up but he was pissed.

I felt like as PoP was winding down that things were going to come to an end. The minor league guilds that used to be the stepping stones for our recruits were all gone, other than OC, I don't recall any other guild doing much of anything in PoP. The bar for people to join or even play was so high, and so few people starting to play, consolidation or mass exodus was inevitable.

I always had the sense that Harm had east coast people or college kids, where we had west coast working people.

biggrin.png

biggrin.png

biggrin.png

biggrin.png

Ronaan

Molten Core Raider
Does anyone have any screenshots of Sssorn's Public Tunare raid he did?
Went to that raid while I was at a friend's place... total lagfest. Playing from Germany over a whopping 64kbit ISDN certainly didn't help.
I still have the map with the "strategy" saved somewhere.

rrr_img_18747.jpg

rrr_img_18747.jpg

rrr_img_18747.jpg

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
I always had the sense that Harm had east coast people or college kids, where we had west coast working people.
We were EST based, yes, and had a core of college kids (me included). We had a decent amount of older players with jobs, too.

Went to that raid while I was at a friend's place... total lagfest. Playing from Germany over a whopping 64kbit ISDN certainly didn't help.
I still have the map with the "strategy" saved somewhere.
Tunare was one of my favorite raids, but having to clear the entire zone was annoying as fuk. I remember trying to split pull her without clearing most the zone, can't remember if we ever succeeded, the trains were massive though. Those brownie mobs with a billion hps that you could barely see... ffs.

Loyang_sl

shitlord
When Stasis pulled their mage past our raid in Vex Thal, I ran toward Aten Ha Ra's chamber(I think we were fighting mini-Aten when it happened) and ended up triggering the warders and trained both of our guilds, wiping out the entire zone. It was hilarious and frustrating at the same time. I loved EQ during those days, but looking back I'm not sure how the hell I had the passion to put up with all the late night/early morning raids to either cockblock or progress.
Good times, I miss these days on Prexus.

Loyang_sl

shitlord
I was in Stasis during that period. Fun times indeed. You missed so much good drama though. :/ KtF/Unity cockblocking EA during velious? Rovell McEbay?

Keepers of the Faith, not Keepers of the Flame. I liked how the rumors of KtF having devs in it were finally confirmed.

I ended up joining Unity after Stasis asploded. By then the elementals were fairly tame, though after we killed Rathe NO got interested in Coirnav again for some reason. ^^

Fuck, Nasir/jerm was an interesting character.
You were a ranger right alex? I think I remember you.

I almost forgot this one. Early on Povar, it was rumored that Baelish from castersrealm was a huge duper.

He was maybe level 19 at the time and I went to sell him some crap and he could only pay with rubies. Jewelcrafting sucked and virtually no one was killing shit that would drop rubies like that so it seemed super fishy.

Korrupt

Blackwing Lair Raider
BoR wasnt bad at all, it was just crazy and a lot of people at times. Tarkas was someone I thought was pretty awesome.

Searyx was always a GD clown in everyones eyes but himself.

Modo I still have you and mines special screen shot, one day when youre super rich and famous i will re-release it to TMZ and the public.

Ronaan

Molten Core Raider
Tunare was one of my favorite raids, but having to clear the entire zone was annoying as fuk. I remember trying to split pull her without clearing most the zone, can't remember if we ever succeeded, the trains were massive though. Those brownie mobs with a billion hps that you could barely see... ffs.
Yeah look at the date though... it was supposed to be gamewide first... with a zerg of unorganized pickups and fucknuts.
He servermoved to join BotS not very much later I think.