Arcane

phisey

Buzzfeed Editor
I agree. If anything, I'd say Arcane is more canon than whatever pre-existing canon came before it now, which was always just whatever jumbled tropey superhero/fantasy stuff they could come up with to justify selling a new champion to ride on a current zeitgeist.

Fadaar

That guy
would bet good money that season 2 coincides with an MMO beta or release

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Grabbit Allworth

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I enjoyed this, but I found myself really disliking Vi.
The art/animation are amazing and there are numerous scenes that truly capture the emotional element, but I am so fucking tired of the 'edgy,' lesbian, strong-wahman characters.

They disgust me and Vi isn't an exception.

• 1Pathetic
  • 1Solidarity
  • 1Salty
Reactions: 3 users

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
would bet good money that season 2 coincides with an MMO beta or release

They began hiring in March 2021 for the MMO. Either they'll have to do some really fast development for the MMO, or season 2 is a very long way off. I would more expect Season 3 or a different show to coincide with the MMO than season 2.

• 1Like

phisey

Buzzfeed Editor
That's assuming the second season would be ready by 2023; which is a stretch even if they dropped an asteroid made of money on the studio.

Their VP of creative (a former Netflix VP at that) has also admitted that they're planning on multiple shows and formats in the LoL universe, so it's possible we could see other shows that run parallel as background for the main Arcane storyline.

Last edited:

phisey

Buzzfeed Editor
This has got me excited more than it has any reason to. I play TFT a lot more than rift now so that's partly why, but the idea that we could see a TFT season with Arcane champs is just too good:

Also sets the whole "LoL Champions Can't Die in the show" thing on its ear if they do this enough.

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
That's assuming the second season would be ready by 2023; which is a stretch even if they dropped an asteroid made of money on the studio. Their VP of creative (a former Netflix VP at that) has also admitted that they're planning on multiple shows and formats in the LoL universe.

eh... I'm pretty sure 2023 will be doable now that the process is established. They also have a lot of assets built out now, so a lot of time saved creating the world/characters, especially if it's a continuation of Arcane.

Main question is if Fortiche is acquired by Riot/Tencent to make it even more efficient and how much the studio expands. Because I'm sure Riot still wants to pump out cinematics for LoL things and it would be smart to have multiple shows in production if they are trying to go the MCU route.

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
This will be the first show I rewatch more than two times. And a third show ever that I rewatched twice.

• 1Solidarity

phisey

Buzzfeed Editor
This will be the first show I rewatch more than two times. And a third show ever that I rewatched.

Last show I rewatched in its entirety was The Wire.

Come to think of it, Arcane has a lot of thematic similarities with that show too. It's The Wire but with magical furries and bionic lesbians instead.

Hard to pick between Silco and Stringer Bell, though.

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Enjoying the music (skipping some tripe) from this show.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

phisey

Buzzfeed Editor
Ramsey sang the vocals on that song but it was all Mako/Alex Seaver writing and producing. Mako's all over the whole OST actually, even performing on a couple of the rap tracks, including the one for Ekko and Jinx's fight, which is legitimately one of the best of the year.

Mako's done a lot of stuff for Riot, all the way back to the song Rise back in 2018/19. Riot Music is supposedly a virtual record label now, I wonder if he's signed with them like a real label.

• 1Like

phisey

Buzzfeed Editor
Yeah I was astonished how sympathetic a character he was by the end when I started out despising him.

Silco's voice actor understood this better than one of the writers. This chick has a minor credit for writing one episode, but it happened to be the one that was vi/cait's dyke scene so she's being feted on twitter.

You could chalk that up to twitter's charlimit inanity, since you'd hope she knows better. But, thankfully, Silco's VA straightened that out for good on video.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Silco's voice actor understood this better than one of the writers. This chick has a minor credit for writing one episode, but it happened to be the one that was vi/cait's dyke scene so she's being feted on twitter.

You could chalk that up to twitter's charlimit inanity, since you'd hope she knows better. But, thankfully, Silco's VA straightened that out for good on video.

You refer to a guy clearing something up then link a four and a half hour long video. Dude.

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Yeah bullshit lol.

The defining moment of Silco's life was when Vander tried to kill him. The show beat you over the head with that so I don't know how she missed it as a writer. Vander tried to kill Silco because Silco's fanaticism he thought was detrimental his dream of a free Zaun. Which he later failed at. Later in life Silco is pressed with the culmination of his life's dream (sovereignty of Zaun) but at the price of betraying the one person he truly cared for.

Which is why he mused at Vander's fountain that he finally understood the dilemma Silco has pressed upon Vander all those years ago. But when it came to it loyalty was the most important thing to him, precisely because of Vander's betrayal, and he was willing to sacrifice the goal of the revolution over it. I was really impressed with Silco's character. That is solid writing.

Manipulate Jinx's feelings? Please, he loved Jinx despite her being totally scary levels of batshit 99% of the time.

• 5Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 5 users

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
The finale to the loyalty subplot with the chembarons was immediately before meeting with Jayce
No reaction to returning the gemstone but clearly not okay with handing over Jinx
Followed by the statue of Vander scene where he understands his brother's actions for family and daughters

What idiots thought Silco was going to dive straight into betrayal there?

• 1Like

Barellron

Trakanon Raider
Reason: Lots of woke writers can't create, or understand, complex characters. Their worldview is black and white. Everybody is a hero or a villain (with us or against us). Often this also means Man = bad, woman = good. They find it regressive to write (male) villains with redeeming qualities or (female) heroes with human faults.

Arcane is resonating well because it avoids these tropes that we've been rolling our eyes at for a decade now. It relies on tried and true foundations of good storytelling, wrapped in a cutting-edge visual and audio package.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
The show had some of the best character development I've seen in a long time, if ever. It's not just 1 character either, it's almost all of them to various degree, and all of it EXTREMELY natural and organic. Nothing really comes out of left field and you ask yourself why did someone act a certain way, it always make sense.

The final scene was just so good, Vi spends the entire trying to first protect and then save Powder only to realize that Powder doesn't exist anymore. Silco telling Jinx she's perfect the way she is. Jinx realizing she can't be the Powder Vi is looking for, and that it's ok to be herself(thanks to Silco) and then just embracing being Jinx and blowing shit up. It was just so rewarding as a viewer.

As popular as the show is, I find it sad that people are dismissing it because it's animated, or because it's based on a video game. It's so good it's transcend genres.

A bit unrelated but worth mentioning, one of the great thing about Arcane compared to many shows is that I feel it doesn't assume the audience is retarded. It doesn't bore you with too much exposition, and trying to oversimplify things. I feel it assumes that people are smart enough to figure shit out that's not thrown in their face, or will ask question of friends, or look online to clarify something that might not be totally obvious.

It's annoying being taken for idiots that cannot fill holes and put things together without always being beaten over the head with them.

I need to stop gushing over how much I love this show. :)

• 5Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 5 users