Archeage

Molten Core Raider
They made it to where you couldnt transport packs to any zone, they added trade outlets in a few specific locations (Solzreed, Two Crowns, and Cinderstone if you played west, or Solis, Vilanelle, or Yny if you were east). Same continent runs rewarded only gold, but the more of a specific type of pack that was turned in, the lower the value and could even stop accepting certain packs altogether. Cross continent runs rewarded charcoal stabilizer, which was used for crafting. Gilda stars became daily quest rewards. It was way more convoluted than i described, if you really want to read up on the mess they made this site explains it in a lot more detail

Essentially there were no more fights over packs as people stuck with safe zones and there were safe ways to do cross continent runs.

Raes

Vyemm Raider
There was also an npc ship, that let you safely transport 1 pack (per client, and multiboxing was allowed) to the opposite continent, and then 1 back. Forget how often it ran, like twice per hour maybe.

Cybsled

Hmm, that is quite the change. The cross ocean or super long continent runs used to be pretty lucrative (although risky).

I was still pissed when they normalized the speed of sports cars. You used to be able to plan routes with lots of downhill parts to maximize your speed of the run.

Uriel

Blackwing Lair Raider
This could be pretty fun, hopped on the open beta and it seems they've done a nice job with the server. I've never played this era of Archeage, only at release and Unchained, but its definitely closer to release version than Unchained from what I can tell. Obsidian gear is what most people will be working towards I guess, luckily its not based around dailies like Hiram gear, and still demands a market of crafted gear for the wisps. Anyone looking forward to Ashes of Creation should give it a shot imo to see one of the big inspirations for AoC in its prime.

Raes

Vyemm Raider
They should have left that gear out. One of the issues with NA Archeage was that it launched with Hasla weapons, which were initially a catch up mechanic in Korea. Including them at launch fucks with the crafting chain by making it extremely difficult if not impossible to sell all those non-proc items (up to and including Hasla equivalent gear), so you could recoup some of your cost and keep crafting. Which ruined some of the sandbox aspects of the game.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Uriel

Blackwing Lair Raider
My understanding is crafted gear will be an alternate path from obsidian, similar stats different bonuses. There's also no obsidian belt, bracers or jewelry afaik. And then to make and upgrade obsidian, you'll have to break down a lot of crafted gear into wisps, so crafters will have a big role. Regarding hasla weapons, everyone will be using those for the first 2 weeks until Auroria opens, then switching at T3 obsidian or maybe delphinad if people manage to make decent ones that quickly and you can afford it. I'm not sure on the difficulty/cost of T6 obsidian vs. ayanad gear, and whether or not T7 obsidian is coming (don't think I saw it in the folio atm). What I've read of the server is they will be bringing it up to 3.0 over time after it releases, and then start adding custom content, perhaps drawing on later updates as inspiration or coming up with their own stuff.

Raes

Vyemm Raider
Yeah, I'm aware of how it works, I played NA Alpha and launch, in addition to the updates that had Obsidian and later Hiram gear. There is no "alternate path," players just go straight from quest gear to Hasla. In the beginning you'd hit a wall with crafting, say weapons, because you couldn't afford to eat the cost of the crafts that didn't proc to the level above Hasla. Gear like that shouldn't exist in a sandbox game. But, of course, Koreans devs obviously don't give a shit, as you can see in games where they give fucking crafted items away as login rewards and shit, like in Lost Ark.

Kriptini

Vyemm Raider
They should have left that gear out. One of the issues with NA Archeage was that it launched with Hasla weapons, which were initially a catch up mechanic in Korea. Including them at launch fucks with the crafting chain by making it extremely difficult if not impossible to sell all those non-proc items (up to and including Hasla equivalent gear), so you could recoup some of your cost and keep crafting. Which ruined some of the sandbox aspects of the game.

Yeah Hasla weapons at launch was weird. The area was essentially a no-go zone during neutral/war time (zerging prevented any significant amount of farming, even if you were winning fights), and during peace time, people were stealing mobs from each other and it really wasn't fun.

Obsidian gear is even worse, because you have basically the same exact scenario minus PvP and the grind is even longer. I really don't think ArcheAge needs "alternatives to crafting," the crafting system worked great and really just needed an RNG pity system.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Uriel

Blackwing Lair Raider
Yeah Hasla weapons at launch was weird. The area was essentially a no-go zone during neutral/war time (zerging prevented any significant amount of farming, even if you were winning fights), and during peace time, people were stealing mobs from each other and it really wasn't fun.

Obsidian gear is even worse, because you have basically the same exact scenario minus PvP and the grind is even longer. I really don't think ArcheAge needs "alternatives to crafting," the crafting system worked great and really just needed an RNG pity system.

Obsidian grind will have PvP, it's open world for early tiers and then library for later (and auroraia world bosses for final tiers), and they're enabling pvp on library floors 2 and 3 (which KR and RU had I guess, but not NA). I loved the Hasla pvp at launch, and even with all the back and forth fighting it only took a couple hours. Then you're on to GHA farming, making money, and getting ready for land rush (which on classic will be 48 hours after launch). And crafted gear is crucial for obsidian, letting crafters turn their junk pieces into wisps while they fish for the good ones.

Kriptini

Vyemm Raider
Obsidian grind will have PvP, it's open world for early tiers and then library for later (and auroraia world bosses for final tiers), and they're enabling pvp on library floors 2 and 3 (which KR and RU had I guess, but not NA). I loved the Hasla pvp at launch, and even with all the back and forth fighting it only took a couple hours. Then you're on to GHA farming, making money, and getting ready for land rush (which on classic will be 48 hours after launch). And crafted gear is crucial for obsidian, letting crafters turn their junk pieces into wisps while they fish for the good ones.

Hmmm I don't remember too much of all of that... I definitely remember no PvP in the library though, that really sucked.

Man, this is making me want to play again but I just don't have the time...

Cybsled

NA/EU servers shutting down. Haven't played in many years, but it was fun times while it lasted with Tuco's company