Archeage

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
I did 40-50 with burning labor and questing on the other continent so more pvp in higher level zones to get better quest xp. But mostly just labor since i was done questing and grinding mobs was worthless for XP(plus there is plenty of that to do at 50).

20-30 is about the worse experience i have ever had in questing in an MMO(30-50 is bad too but by then you are numb afaik after the 20s all levels take around the same time to finish and your character is better gears/spec'd later which makes questing quicker.). I dislike questing but games like Wow, Tera, Rift i enjoyed the experience at least a little bit. But in Archeage it is just unexplainable how awful the questing is. The zone stories are awful/non existent. And its just kill quest after kill quest until you have killed everything in the zone. I can see people getting bored and quitting the game just because of the questing. It is bad enough to make you not want to log on. Thankfully this isn't a race to 50 and ignore all other content until 50.
This does not bode well young Jedi

TecKnoe

Molten Core Raider
This does not bode well young Jedi
yah this made me cringe as well, I may just go give wildshit a shot, at least I have the choice of battlegrounds or w/e to alleviate the quest grind, and this will still be in alpha when I get burned on that so.

I just cant quest grind to 50 in this game or any game ever again.

Apostolos

Golden Knight of the Realm
This really is like one of the most retardedly easy mmo's to level up in. The quest 'grind' is laughable to be honest. Just accept every quest, go kill a few mobs, deliver a note or two. Once you do that for an hour or so, just go craft, farm or whatever. Once you hit 30 - 40, you can pvp while you quest which is kinda fun and breaks it up.

Vitality

HUSTLE
This really is like one of the most retardedly easy mmo's to level up in. The quest 'grind' is laughable to be honest. Just accept every quest, go kill a few mobs, deliver a note or two. Once you do that for an hour or so, just go craft, farm or whatever. Once you hit 30 - 40, you can pvp while you quest which is kinda fun and breaks it up.
Don't downplay this my man, level times in Arche-Age are double what they are in recent releases as an immediate comparison.

Clearing an entire zone nets you maybe a level and a half to two levels and takes upwards of 3-4 hours to do.

(Post clvl30 Numbers)

Apostolos

Golden Knight of the Realm
One of the things I think a lot of people are doing is leveling up solo. That is a big mistake for anyone wanting to do it quickly. Most of the quests are to kill X number of mobs. (lets say 10) so with the overachieve being +50% you need to kill 15 (and Overachieve is where its at). If you are in a group of 3 people staying on the same kill quests you can kill those 15 mobs in a fraction of the time you could do it solo. By yourself, ya leveling up is about average. I guess fighting other players while questing made it almost seem like I wasn't questing at all once I got in the 30+ range.

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
Don't downplay this my man, level times in Arche-Age are double what they are in recent releases as an immediate comparison.

Clearing an entire zone nets you maybe a level and a half to two levels and takes upwards of 3-4 hours to do.

(Post clvl30 Numbers)
Was that sarcastic?

ArcheAge has one of the fastest leveling curve I've seen. Might be the most boring quest grind, but it's very quick to get to 50.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Kill quests are best quests. Only way I'd like it more is if every kill quest NPC just said, "Go kill that shit over there then just talk to this dude on your mini map. Thanks."

Vitality

HUSTLE
Kill quests are best quests. Only way I'd like it more is if every kill quest NPC just said, "Go kill that shit over there then just talk to this dude on your mini map. Thanks."
I agree, I'm a grinder at heart.

Most of the mobs in the game auto-reward you with a quest completion for killing a certain number of them. Kinda nice.

Rescorla_sl

shitlord
20-30 is about the worse experience i have ever had in questing in an MMO(30-50 is bad too but by then you are numb afaik after the 20s all levels take around the same time to finish and your character is better gears/spec'd later which makes questing quicker.). I dislike questing but games like Wow, Tera, Rift i enjoyed the experience at least a little bit. But in Archeage it is just unexplainable how awful the questing is. The zone stories are awful/non existent. And its just kill quest after kill quest until you have killed everything in the zone. I can see people getting bored and quitting the game just because of the questing. It is bad enough to make you not want to log on. Thankfully this isn't a race to 50 and ignore all other content until 50.
Fully agree. Of all the MMOs I have played, AAge by far has the most boring leveling experience. It is something to be endured, not enjoyed. I usually read the quest text In MMOs but not with this game because it just makes it even more boring with the poor writing. Grouping up is by far the best way to speed up the process.

If your playtime is limited like mine and causes you to be behind the leveling curve, things really slow down once you get to the PVP enabled zones. You are going to need a plan on how to level up once you get to those zones. Maximizing EXP gain from crafting is a given. You will also want to find someone to group with otherwise you will likely be permaganked by the level 50s trying to become pirates. If you try to solo in the PVP enabled zones, your leveling rate will slow down significantly because you can't do the crappy PVE quests in the contested zones due to level 50s hunting you.

That is the nature of the beast in sandbox world PVP so no reason to complain about it. You just need to figure out how to overcome the disadvantage of being behind the leveling curve, get to 50 and enjoy the main reason to play the game in the first place.

Vitality

HUSTLE
Adapt or quit, I suppose is a good summation of the leveling experience AA brings currently (and rescorlas post), I don't really see an inbetween.

I mean if PVP gave decent xp/coin/anything I'd definitely see there being an inbetween.

Currently though, PVP is just a means of limiting other players, "Legal Griefing" I suppose you could say. There's really no absolute reason to do it other than to inconvenience other players.

If I could take some of their on hand cash, or gain 1% xp for a kill, or something... my tune would change on the subject.

Byr

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
my biggest gripe about the quest grind was that you dont get a reward every level. You have to go 2-3 ( dont remember which) before skill points.

TecKnoe

Molten Core Raider
I guess I need to just suck it up and make it to the pvp zones asap, anyone in their mid 20s or has everyone hit lvl cap and im gonna be a lonely boy till late game.

Scyfi

N00b
I thought leveling was so easy in this game. Hell you can farm half a level each day just doing the bare min farming.

mrmoneda_sl

shitlord
ArcheAge has one of the fastest leveling curve I've seen. Might be the most boring quest grind, but it's very quick to get to 50.
I gotta agree with this. Leveling alone I can easily hit level 30 in 2 days played time, with healing tree skills that do no damage and without the 1.0 change that gives XP for PvP kills. Overachieving quests is key. Starting around level 14 I'm a good 2 levels above everything I need to kill until level 50.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Adapt or quit, I suppose is a good summation of the leveling experience AA brings currently (and rescorlas post), I don't really see an inbetween.

I mean if PVP gave decent xp/coin/anything I'd definitely see there being an inbetween.

Currently though, PVP is just a means of limiting other players, "Legal Griefing" I suppose you could say. There's really no absolute reason to do it other than to inconvenience other players.

If I could take some of their on hand cash, or gain 1% xp for a kill, or something... my tune would change on the subject.
yep, which really sucks. IMO the best reward for PvP in a sandbox is resource contention. ArcheAge sort of has this in water but it falls short of reaching it on land. You can temporarily deny an enemy access to their farm, but you can't take it over.

It'd be great if the high end zones had NPC villages you could conquer, defend and own. Owning them would provide passively gained resources but an enemy could take them over at any time.

Rescorla_sl

shitlord
It'd be great if the high end zones had NPC villages you could conquer, defend and own. Owning them would provide passively gained resources but an enemy could take them over at any time.
That is a good idea but I wonder if XLgames has any intent of developing more PVP content for this game? Since it failed in Korea, the impression I got was that they have turned their focus on to their next game. IMO the best alternative for the future of this game for the English speaking customer is for Trion to get full authority to create their own branch of the code for version 2.0 and beyond. Anyone know if that is a legal possibility?

Nija

<Silver Donator>
Well, the first obvious question is if Korean developers write english comments in their code.

TecKnoe

Molten Core Raider
I gotta agree with this. Leveling alone I can easily hit level 30 in 2 days played time, with healing tree skills that do no damage and without the 1.0 change that gives XP for PvP kills. Overachieving quests is key. Starting around level 14 I'm a good 2 levels above everything I need to kill until level 50.
I don't understand overachieve if you're solo, do you just sit there and overachieve 1-2 mobs? I see it happening in groups when people are just murdering, but I haven't really come across like a nice pack of (questing) mobs to AOE down, everything so far (lvl 15) seems spread out, to the point where I never overachieve because everything is a single pull.