Archeage

Kedwyn

Silver Squire
Land is valuable because its safe and guaranteed. You can make a ton of money from your farm or make mats you need for your own crafting etc. Other convenience things like being able to store stuff, bind etc are all nice.

Do you have to own land in the hot bed of PvP? Nope. Some areas are better as they are closer to stuff you use but many, especially casual players, probably won't care much. So while getting a plot early outside of Y is likely high on some people's list others will be very happy anywhere there is one available.

Regardless I'm going to guess and say the land grab is going to be fierce and if you want a spot it will be best to get one early because it is likely to be mostly gone inside of a few days on most servers. Stuff will get sold and open up over time but for the first few months its likely to be tight supply on real estate.

If I had to guess Trion will err on the servers being over filled for a month or two vs being empty down the road. Its doubtful they could merge servers with the way land is handled so its unlikely they launch with shit tons of servers. Land will be a valuable commodity.

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Would a small house have enough area around to equal a small farm? What I would like to have is a house (or house + farm) where I can bind to, have access to the AH, and maybe a craft station (to process whatever I could grow). Location wouldn't matter to me at all...IF the crop could be either sold directly to the AH after harvest via the House AH access point. Possible?

Cybsled

It probably won't be too different than Shadowbane at launch. People made a mad dash for the prime real estate (proximity to farm areas/rune drops). Having a guild from the get-go will be a massive advantage.

Eidal

Molten Core Raider
Land is only useful if that's where you want to use your labor points. Best example I can think of is that a guy who wants to cap mining/metal smithing has zero interest in a house. Either way, racing to 50 and getting time alone at hasla seems way more useful than fucking around with housing early on. Mob drops from grinding are substantial gold...

When I played in alpha I stopped bothering with my farm when I realized I could go to Windscour Savannah and lay down 100-200 Turmerics and no one would fuck with it. Plus, people pushing the leveling envelope will get a lot of world lumber. Far more than jackasses with their trees on their scarecrow plot

Edit: fucking around gathering anything is stupid unless that's one of the skills you want to cap.

Vitality

HUSTLE
Land is only useful if that's where you want to use your labor points. Best example I can think of is that a guy who wants to cap mining/metal smithing has zero interest in a house. Either way, racing to 50 and getting time alone at hasla seems way more useful than fucking around with housing early on. Mob drops from grinding are substantial gold...

When I played in alpha I stopped bothering with my farm when I realized I could go to Windscour Savannah and lay down 100-200 Turmerics and no one would fuck with it. Plus, people pushing the leveling envelope will get a lot of world lumber. Far more than jackasses with their trees on their scarecrow plot

Edit: fucking around gathering anything is stupid unless that's one of the skills you want to cap.
You're completely forgetting about gilda stars here bud.

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Would a small house have enough area around to equal a small farm? What I would like to have is a house (or house + farm) where I can bind to, have access to the AH, and maybe a craft station (to process whatever I could grow). Location wouldn't matter to me at all...IF the crop could be either sold directly to the AH after harvest via the House AH access point. Possible?
I 'd guess the small house has equal to farm space compared to a small farm, maybe even more. You can do 4 medium trees(Aspen) in the corners and then fill in every other space with seeds or animals(Trying to remember my house, I was able to do 4 aspen trees, 2 sheep and like 50 seeds). Only thing you can't put is bundles and the larger trees around a small house iirc.

Far more than jackasses with their trees on their scarecrow plot

Maybe in the first day, with all the world trees(again maybe , will be lots of people rushing leveling also fighting for those trees) after that no way, as people who get a house + farm are still probably going to be leveling quite fast. As for your edit, I wouldn't say its stupid. You can always sell materials if you don't actually plan to craft plus it gives exp. Even the guy who just does mining/metal smith will want a house and a farm. House for storage + crafting stations(the 40+ ones) and a farm for dye/polish(if you want to be self sufficient).

Eidal

Molten Core Raider
In 1.0, Gilda stars were completely irrelevant to an individual looking to get some sweet gear and kill some people. Admittingly, I have no idea what's changed.

I just see an enormous opportunity cost in fucking around with housing early on AND it doesn't parlay itself into anything useful later on. Sure, if your idea of AA endgame is rotating a minmaxed multiplex of farms day in day out then clearly why not get started now. But that's a weird way to play and I think most people don't set out to be passive income cow slum lords.

You'll get wealthy enough if you just play it like a conventional mmo: poopsock to 50 and grind hard. This method also allows you to allocate your labor points as you wish. Obviously, if there is some essential house 1.2 thing I'm not aware of I will have to revisit this.

TecKnoe

Molten Core Raider
It seems like everyone takes it for granted that getting land early and fast is crucial. I don't really see the point, couldn't you just power level to 50 and monopolize high income farm locations for gold? For the people who simply must have a house, they can always place in the north when castles go up.

What is an early plot good for and is it worth dealing with the zerg?
you really asking why getting land early is important? this question is answered like every other page at least.

Eidal

Molten Core Raider
you really asking why getting land early is important? this question is answered like every other page at least.
It wasn't important in 1.0, what changed? I'm not being snarky.

I farmed up 1500+ gold in Hasla and Tigerspine (mining to 44k, metalworking to 20k) in two weeks of semi casual gaming at 50. There is literally nothing that a house would have done to help me; my labor points were already allocated. My time was best spent dumping labor via mining or farming mobs.

Everyone seems to be taking it for granted that rushing a house is zomg so worth it but no ones saying why aside from the implication that it will make you money. Is there some magic 1.2 reason why I need a house ASAP? The opportunity cost of not being level cap farming the most profitable spawn points seems insurmountable. Are Hasla weapons still good in 1.2? Can a solo player chain ae kill tons of plants for tokens and insane gold?

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I don't understand? The reasons have been given, if they are not worth it too you, so be it. Not sure why you keep asking. House wise.

Farm is a different matter. It's a matter of do you want to be self sufficient or buy materials you need. This is if you are going for the top end gear.

Also not sure why you assume you can't have a house and/or farm and be high level quickly. Maybe not the first, but certaintly not "in the pack". You plant and farm between.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
It probably won't be too different than Shadowbane at launch. People made a mad dash for the prime real estate (proximity to farm areas/rune drops). Having a guild from the get-go will be a massive advantage.
Yep. It was weaks before anyone not in the PRX alliance got a commander rune. We're approaching AA with the same level of rigor.

TecKnoe

Molten Core Raider
It wasn't important in 1.0, what changed? I'm not being snarky.

I farmed up 1500+ gold in Hasla and Tigerspine (mining to 44k, metalworking to 20k) in two weeks of semi casual gaming at 50. There is literally nothing that a house would have done to help me; my labor points were already allocated. My time was best spent dumping labor via mining or farming mobs.

Everyone seems to be taking it for granted that rushing a house is zomg so worth it but no ones saying why aside from the implication that it will make you money. Is there some magic 1.2 reason why I need a house ASAP? The opportunity cost of not being level cap farming the most profitable spawn points seems insurmountable. Are Hasla weapons still good in 1.2? Can a solo player chain ae kill tons of plants for tokens and insane gold?
nobody is talking about houses.

Grimsark

Can someone explain what, in general, this Necromancer is doing so well to be able to take on 2v1 and 3v1 situations so easily?
The video is a year old, so I assume the abilities he is using have been nerfed to break this combo from being so powerful. Or are the people he is massacring just crappy PvP'rs?

Are there any, more recent, videos of kick ass PvP'rs you can share?

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
CC and Damage reduction. Also that's probably before they gave healing it's own stat. Previously your magic damage also fed into your healing potency. Now they are separated.

Bondurant

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Can someone explain what, in general, this Necromancer is doing so well to be able to take on 2v1 and 3v1 situations so easily?
The video is a year old, so I assume the abilities he is using have been nerfed to break this combo from being so powerful. Or are the people he is massacring just crappy PvP'rs?

Are there any, more recent, videos of kick ass PvP'rs you can share?

It's not kickass, it's low level and ganking happens but these are some recent videos made by some guy on Alpha. By recent it's from latest patch (1.2) which, as Draegan said, changed a lot of stuff regarding combat gameplay and builds / classes.

Here he is playing the obvious Primeval and less obvious Spellsinger (Sorcery, Songcraft, Shadowplay).

Another one with Blighter (Battlerage, Defense, Shadowplay), pre patch 1.2 this time.

TecKnoe

Molten Core Raider
You're completely forgetting about gilda stars here bud.
Rushing to 50 skipping real estate, I don't think hes played the game or has done much research, nobody in their right mind thinks rushing 50 and skipping real estate is a good idea, if you have played the alpha youll see the same people in faction chat begging for weeks for a 16x16 ANYWHERE, and he wants to skip it, to grind to 50 asap.

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Rushing to 50 skipping real estate, I don't think hes played the game or has done much research, nobody in their right mind thinks rushing 50 and skipping real estate is a good idea, if you have played the alpha youll see the same people in faction chat begging for weeks for a 16x16 ANYWHERE, and he wants to skip it, to grind to 50 asap.
Will have to see how it plays it. Might not be as crowded as alpha, because alpha is a full server with everyone being a patron, a live server will be patron + f2p(remember f2p can't own land). Prime spots will still be taken instantly, but it shouldn't be full like it is with a entire server owning land.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
I should update my game but I forgot my password to Glyph and don't feel like resetting it. I'd like to test shaodw/brage/archery.

Rogosh

Lord Nagafen Raider
Are warborn playable as a race or will that be after release?

Nevermind found the answer elsewhere, nope.