Archeage

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Question...wtf does weapon attack speed do in the game, if most weapons are locked by the GCD? So, like what is the difference between a 1.4 speed dagger vs a 2.0 speed sword? I haven't parsed anything yet; heh, don't want to get too deep into the number crunching like I was in WoW/EQ until I decide to play. But as far as I can see, with most strikes actually being combos and locked by the GCD; wouldn't the attack speed just do nothing? Is it only there for the DPS number? (It seems most weapons use the DPS number in equations and not base damage numbers.)
The attackspeed stat on weapons determines autoattack frequency I believe, similar to wow, so pretty useless. The attack speed stat reduces GCD, similar to haste in wow. Also reduces autoattack damage I guess.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
So for the first time I'm a bit concerned about this game. I went to explore Auroria a bit and it seems like it's completely unfinished. For a game that's been out for 2+ years, I'm a bit confused by this. It reminded me of the first time I explored EQ zones in an offline setting and none of the zones were populated.

Bondurant

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
For agame that's been out for 2+ years, I'm a bit confused by this.
Yeah it's more likeeighteen months.

rH1b6Zt.jpg

Nija

<Silver Donator>
Why MMO forums are fucking terrible in a single reply.

Congrats, Bondurant, I think that means you win.

Opimo_sl

shitlord
So for the first time I'm a bit concerned about this game. I went to explore Auroria a bit and it seems like it's completely unfinished. For a game that's been out for 2+ years, I'm a bit confused by this. It reminded me of the first time I explored EQ zones in an offline setting and none of the zones were populated.
Its not unfinished. The content in Auroria is meant to be player driven.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Its not unfinished. The content in Auroria is meant to be player driven.
Yep. The reason it's a ghost town is because they forgot to put resources and game mechanics to drive player competition in those areas. There's myriad ways they could do it, but the most obvious way is to increase the value of northern-only crops/mobs/resources and create a system to conquer, control and fight over land, something like a more 24/7 version of the siege system.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Yep. The reason it's a ghost town is because they forgot to put resources and game mechanics to drive player competition in those areas. There's myriad ways they could do it, but the most obvious way is to increase the value of northern-only crops/mobs/resources and create a system to conquer, control and fight over land, something like a more 24/7 version of the siege system.
Right, and that's what I meant. I don't see any particular reason for anyone to want to go to Auroria. It's literally vast hills of nothingness. There's a few mobs here and there, and some control points, but there doesn't appear to be anything worthwhile to control. The only "resource" I could find was the mineral water.

Are archeum trees basically the only worthwhile source of archeum crystals end game (and thereby crafted equipment)? If so, that's an incredibly boring system they've got there.

I don't know, I don't really know much about end game. Really, the only talking about it I've seen is discussions about how sieges play a roll. But from the limited amount I saw today, I feel like people are going to get to 50, pvp for 2-3 weeks, and then it's quitting time. I had been extremely positive about the game throughout the last 3 beta tests. In fact, I had pretty much nothing negative to say. This was the first gut check for me.

Derpa

Trakanon Raider
So been playing and leaning towards either daggerspell or reaper.....which one is better overall.

That defiler video linked earlier kinda made me want to try it out.

Bondurant

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I don't know, I don't really know much about end game. Really, the only talking about it I've seen is discussions about how sieges play a roll. But from the limited amount I saw today, I feel like people are going to get to 50, pvp for 2-3 weeks, and then it's quitting time. I had been extremely positive about the game throughout the last 3 beta tests. In fact, I had pretty much nothing negative to say. This was the first gut check for me.
In my opinion instanced castle sieges are boring and bland, there is no point getting one, fun PvP happens at sea and land. I think "open" PvP will be fun for a couple of months, people will gather ressources to gear themselves with lottery crafting, trying to proc some quality gear while pissing others with trade pack ganking, pirating and such. Player factions could be a blast, and it seems XL Games isn't abandoning their game, they have some other stuff in the pipes too. But right now, unless you crave hard on castle siege boogaloo, you're in for 1, 2, maybe 3 month "honeymoon" phase and then it's crafting lottery with tradepack ganking and roaming PvP. There is little meta game. If you play within a guild, on a strong community lead and player driven server, you'll have fun with drama between guilds / nationalities, but unless XL Games start pushing a lot of content to Trion to process, there is no way this game would hold anyone for years.

0FKlIws.jpg

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
So been playing and leaning towards either daggerspell or reaper.....which one is better overall.

The guy playing a defiler in that video was only able to kill so many because of the buffs he had from potions, food, castle lord suit (?). If he had been in normal gear using same buffs as others, he would not have survived.

Kedwyn

Silver Squire

Reaper was a really strong and pretty simple spec to play pre 1.2 spec with people having much lower HP it was quite good. Its still a good AE farm spec and its not terrible post 1.2 for PvP but Daggerspell is a better class IMO with a lot more options but also a little harder to play correctly.

If you want an easy to play / strong class Primevil is solid. They are just so one dimensional I can't take playing one again (played one in RU). I would avoid most of the melee classes unless you are running with a crew you get more bank for your buck going ranged with the way things are right now.

I would be hesitant to take any class that wasn't either CC heavy or CC resistant unless you enjoy getting locked down and killed all the time. Other specs can do well in groups obviously and some are very strong if well played. YMMV depending on who you play with.

Personally, despite being with a large guild, I want to be viable solo, group and in between. I'm sticking with Daggerspell at this point. Still have decent AE options, you need to raise one additional line to be an AE farming machine and you have a metric shit ton of tools to deal with many situations. They are an excellent all around class that has a decently high skill cap to be played very well and can do amazing things when played correctly.

B_Mizzle

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Reaper was a really strong and pretty simple spec to play pre 1.2 spec with people having much lower HP it was quite good. Its still a good AE farm spec and its not terrible post 1.2 for PvP but Daggerspell is a better class IMO with a lot more options but also a little harder to play correctly.

If you want an easy to play / strong class Primevil is solid. They are just so one dimensional I can't take playing one again (played one in RU). I would avoid most of the melee classes unless you are running with a crew you get more bank for your buck going ranged with the way things are right now.

I would be hesitant to take any class that wasn't either CC heavy or CC resistant unless you enjoy getting locked down and killed all the time. Other specs can do well in groups obviously and some are very strong if well played. YMMV depending on who you play with.

Personally, despite being with a large guild, I want to be viable solo, group and in between. I'm sticking with Daggerspell at this point. Still have decent AE options, you need to raise one additional line to be an AE farming machine and you have a metric shit ton of tools to deal with many situations. They are an excellent all around class that has a decently high skill cap to be played very well and can do amazing things when played correctly.
This is pretty much what I've settled on after 3 beta tests. Although I will say melee, anything battlerage shadowplay can be very fun and very high burst. But unless someone is just planning on solo ganking on land ranged is the way to go and I didn't like archery at all with the low damage attacks.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
I think I'm going to ditch Primeval and go with Trickster. Teleport is nice, but the recast is long as crap. And then the only other skill I really gave a crap about was Shrug It Off.

With Trickster I can pump out like 4 or 5 good CC abilities. Seems much more useful.

TecKnoe

Molten Core Raider
I think I'm going to ditch Primeval and go with Trickster. Teleport is nice, but the recast is long as crap. And then the only other skill I really gave a crap about was Shrug It Off.

With Trickster I can pump out like 4 or 5 good CC abilities. Seems much more useful.
What build did you go with for trickster?

ArcheAge Builder - Arche-Base

But I feel like I almost want to only pick up stealth/stalkers mark/toxic shot, and go deeper into witchcraft, or at least pick up the CC breaks, I use the pvp cloak as well to break out of stuns.

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
You know whats either funny or just stupid, they do that shit and just ruin chat but idiots still go to their websites and buy gold.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Wow, CB4 this weekend? Kind of surprised by that. I figured it'd be 2 weeks inbetween again. Looks like that September 16th date may still hold true.

And Tec, I haven't actually made a build for Trickster yet. Was just something I was thinking about the other day. I realized I had a few Auramancy skills that I basically never used; and really that I only used two (teleportation/shrug it off).

I'm not sure if Concussive Arrow is useful in PVP or not. I have it in my build now, but that may change. I never use it in PVE as it's a mana hog. I swapped it out for Missile Rain, which I've never used. But it sounds like a good PVP AOE.

Skill calculator - Archeage Database 1.2