Archeage

Kedwyn

Silver Squire
Really depends on what they have in the shop.

I don't mind kicking them a couple of dollars for bank space or character slots if its F2P. Buying more crafting time sounds kind of sketchy though especially if there isn't a mechanism in game to do so without paying.

Having a sub option that includes most stuff in the shop, at least game function wise, would be fine. Especially if they have say sub for 6 months and you get all cosmetic things as well as bank space, slots etc.. Lots of interesting ways to do it where they can still make money and its not a TOR thing of "LOL no quest reward for joo unless you pay!"

tad10

Elisha Dushku
@Hartman if you're still reading is the cbt4 crafting or the current rng crafting planned for the NA version?

@Kedwyn it's just so annoying I can't believe the entire industry moved to the ftp model. I'll rage quit if a bronze locked chest drops that requires a store bought key to open.

Dahkoht_sl

shitlord
@Hartman if you're still reading is the cbt4 crafting or the current rng crafting planned for the NA version?

@Kedwyn it's just so annoying I can't believe the entire industry moved to the ftp model. I'll rage quit if a bronze locked chest drops that requires a store bought key to open.
Oh the whole buy a key to open this chest made me hate F2P more than anything. I mildly disliked it originally , but the first time I ran into that it made me truly want sub only options.

tad10

Elisha Dushku
So according to a review on AA source there is one raid dungeon with 5 bosses but loot inferior to the highest crafting tier. Additionally, there aren't that many leveling dungeons and their loot is soulbound - not clear if this loot is inferior to crafted loot at the same level.

@Oloh how many leveling dungeons are there? Can't seem to find a source.

tad10

Elisha Dushku
@Hartsman I also see that the latest Korean patch added dailies. I don't know anyone who likes dailies in MMOs. -_-

tad10

Elisha Dushku
ohgodfuck...
Yeah horrible for a sandbox/park. What happened to just grinding mobs for ultra rare crafting or running instances for ultra rare drops. Both aren't great but are better than dailies and generally people who mind doing one don't mind the other.

Edit: not too mention raid dungeons and that whole world pvp thing.

Anomander Rake

Golden Knight of the Realm
Dr Mr. Hartsman - you seem like a cool dude. I love your down to earth attitude, and for producing the Kunark expansion in EQ2 (best expansion imo), and would be willing to forgive you for Defiance if you tossed us beta invites for this game. I even knowingly paid for one, and unknowingly paid for a second year sub to Rift. That's got to count right!?!

Oloh_sl

shitlord
@Oloh how many leveling dungeons are there? Can't seem to find a source.
When I played, I think there were 3. One at 20, 30 and 40. I think there has been one content patch since then. This post has actually perked my interest again, so I am going to play through and will update any information that I have posted that may be a bit out of date.

Edit: Also, I think at all stages of the game, crafted gear is the best if its the "good stuff." It was never clear to me on how to get the good stuff, but I think its was just crafting with the best resources and hoping for something akin to a crit with really good stats.

tad10

Elisha Dushku
When I played, I think there were 3. One at 20, 30 and 40. I think there has been one content patch since then. This post has actually perked my interest again, so I am going to play through and will update any information that I have posted that may be a bit out of date.
I might try to grab an account and login this weekend - not thrilled on walls of Korean text but want to get an idea of gameplay. Interestingly, from the AA source thread it seemed people were equally annoyed at dailies and the changes to the "trading game" whatever that entails.

tad10

Elisha Dushku
Ya jesus can we not wow the shit out of this one ? ( wishful thinking i know ).
If Trion wants to WoW it up, go with vanilla WoW. No dailies. Lots of uber rare drops from mobs including the bindings which took some guilds 9 months to get one complete set and a big raid dungeon with a final boss tuned to be unkillable for months.

Hartsman_sl

shitlord
haha -- We definitely don't want to WoW anything up. We like AA because it's a pretty greatcomplementto the themepark PvE MMOs. It's not one of them, and I don't think it should ever be one. It includes some of those elements, but those elements aren't the focus.

Trade is one of the sandboxy gameplay systems. Ties into the economic and crafting games, and PvP. Kind of like what some of us might recall as Caravans from other game ideas in the past. Creating stuff for trade, taking it from one place to the other (overland via walking, mules, carts, carriages, airships - Overseas via boats, merchant boats, etc), staying safe while doing so, getting rewards for it.

It sinks commodities generated by the crafting/farming game, provides PvP targets, and earns money. It's a skill of its own to raise. ("Commerce.")

I'm reserving opinion on their 1.0 changes until I get a chance to see them in action. We haven't yet seen how much of it is being driven by Play2crush types driving people from the game completely (which, if that happens, also obliterates the fun of even being a play2crush'er, as you have no one left to crush), vs other factors.

Even if those all stood exactly as is, there's still plenty of unique gameplay systems.

I can absolutely understand emotional reaction to changes, but I'd rather see and play it myself then figure out how to think about it.

Dahkoht_sl

shitlord
If you can't throw out any rough estimates of beta for folks starting , anything rough at least on whether it'll be a preorder to get into it or preference given to older Trion/Rift accounts or such ? Just curious as really am glad to hear this thing is on track for an NA release still.