Archeage

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
haha -- We definitely don't want to WoW anything up. We like AA because it's a pretty greatcomplementto the themepark PvE MMOs. It's not one of them, and I don't think it should ever be one. It includes some of those elements, but those elements aren't the focus.

Trade is one of the sandboxy gameplay systems. Ties into the economic and crafting games, and PvP. Kind of like what some of us might recall as Caravans from other game ideas in the past. Creating stuff for trade, taking it from one place to the other (overland via walking, mules, carts, carriages, airships - Overseas via boats, merchant boats, etc), staying safe while doing so, getting rewards for it.

It sinks commodities generated by the crafting/farming game, provides PvP targets, and earns money. It's a skill of its own to raise. ("Commerce.").
Sounds great, can't wait for the beta. Seems like Sandbox is the new buzzword--hopefully this delivers on it....Because people who like Sanboxes haven't had a game in about 10 years.

Oloh_sl

shitlord
Suffice to say that it would be nearly impossible to be more Sandboxy than ArcheAge. The amount of random shit and user generated stuff you can do in the game just for shits and giggles is crazy. The real question is, do enough people really like sandbox games or do they like theme park games with a little sandbox waiting room.

shabushabu

Molten Core Raider
Suffice to say that it would be nearly impossible to be more Sandboxy than ArcheAge. The amount of random shit and user generated stuff you can do in the game just for shits and giggles is crazy. The real question is, do enough people really like sandbox games or do they like theme park games with a little sandbox waiting room.
enough for us to play it and have it go sure... I stopped looking for the next big thing quite some time ago, well after retread 1000000000001

tad10

Elisha Dushku
People want both. Sometimes you want to read a book, sometimes you want to be the one to write it.

TrollfaceDeux

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Bronze Donator>
Most Korean flagship MMO start with monthly subscription model and then devolve into ftp model. Instead of following that path, Black Desert outright goes for ftp. I think it's an interesting business model. Blade and Soul China is also pursuing that path.

Oloh_sl

shitlord
i am sure that black desert is the next big mmo.
Curious why you say this. Black Desert is one of the three on my official watch list, but I havent seen anything that makes me think it is any different than, say ArcheAge, and I am pretty such ArcheAge isn't the "next big thing" even if its enjoyable. Why do you think its gonna be great?

tad10

Elisha Dushku
Most Korean flagship MMO start with monthly subscription model and then devolve into ftp model. Instead of following that path, Black Desert outright goes for ftp. I think it's an interesting business model. Blade and Soul China is also pursuing that path.
Who cares about Korean monetization. Here the ftp crowd is awful - full of entitled assholes that typify the give me now mentality that is cancer to mmorpgs. Loved reading the idiot on MMORPG who posted about how evil developers are to sell a 60.00 box plus one month subscription instead of being ftp from the start.

Kedwyn

Silver Squire
I'd guess that particular model is going to be prevalent going forward. Face it, if you can get 10x the number of people playing your game and only see 1/10 of the fees you are even. They aren't just breaking even.

Reality is people are impulsive. I watched good friends who I respect and know well pay $100+ for gems and stupid shit in NWN or GW2 only to quit in 2 months. Shit I dropped a couple hundred on gems over the year I played. All in addition to buying the early starter pack and collectors edition. Not everyone does that but many will kick up a few bucks for some in game stuff or items and with the larger pool of players it adds up to much more than just charging a sub fee.

The model might be a bane to us old farts who want all we can eat at $15 but the reality is people will piss away $3 for a wolf skin for their dog or $2 to add flames coming out of their Horse's ass and you have a ton more traffic / potential wallets on your servers than if you charged up front.

tad10

Elisha Dushku
But that shit is not sustainable. The 15/month is.

Sure Turbine printed money initially when lotr went ftp but now they're struggling. The idiots who want flames out of their horses ass have ADD and will be off to the next big thing as soon as it hits.

Kedwyn

Silver Squire
But that shit is not sustainable. The 15/month is.

Sure Turbine printed money initially when lotr went ftp but now they're struggling. The idiots who want flames out of their horses ass have ADD and will be off to the next big thing as soon as it hits.
LOTR launched in 2007. If they hadn't gone F2P the servers would of likely closed much earlier. That game garners a lot of its interest from its massive IP. Like Tor or TESO much gets over looked because of the name.

Anyway, f2p extends life cycles not diminishes them. See Tor for another example. Eve is also f2p when you consider its isk for plex system.

I'm not saying I prefer them, I just think your vision is a bit clouded on the subject.

tad10

Elisha Dushku
LOTR launched in 2007. If they hadn't gone F2P the servers would of likely closed much earlier. That game garners a lot of its interest from its massive IP. Like Tor or TESO much gets over looked because of the name.

Anyway, f2p extends life cycles not diminishes them. See Tor for another example. Eve is also f2p when you consider its isk for plex system.

I'm not saying I prefer them, I just think your vision is a bit clouded on the subject.
I'm the first to agree that strong ips can get money from cash shops, but with the exception of tor (which agree would likely have been shutdown) I'm not sure if I agree with the extended lifespan thesis. Lotr had core players that were around before and after the ftp transition. From the sub charts looks like they were at 200k and doing okay.

Oloh_sl

shitlord
There is nothing wrong with F2P. Many times, however, a game goes F2P to "save itself" and has to take shortcuts b/c of a money crunch...i.e. by adding P2W elements. If you start off free to play from the start, you might not have that issue. It's hard to argue with the money LOL makes and that game is not pay to win at all.

tad10

Elisha Dushku
There is nothing wrong with F2P. Many times, however, a game goes F2P to "save itself" and has to take shortcuts b/c of a money crunch...i.e. by adding P2W elements. If you start off free to play from the start, you might not have that issue. It's hard to argue with the money LOL makes and that game is not pay to win at all.
I don't think moba to mmo is a good comparison. Buying a champion is not equivalent to buying a mount or XP pot. This where Dumar and I agree, everything that has an actual in game effect should only be obtainable in game. I don't like pure cosmetics, but can live with them. Anything else is p2w.

TrollfaceDeux

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Bronze Donator>
Curious why you say this. Black Desert is one of the three on my official watch list, but I havent seen anything that makes me think it is any different than, say ArcheAge, and I am pretty such ArcheAge isn't the "next big thing" even if its enjoyable. Why do you think its gonna be great?
It plays and looks like a next gen MMO. I think they have a different take on classes (also gender) as well as action combat which puts them above so many generic tab targetting MMO in the market at the moment. The towns, the landscape, and open world PvP concept that is grounded in high fantasy i think would appeal to large audience in the western market unlike Archage. I'm just impressed by everything I've seen so far.

I've seen one of archage's instanced dungeon and not only was I disappointed, it looked pretty fucking awful imo. i am overall not impressed by everything from archage but still gonna try it anyways....

tad10

Elisha Dushku
I've seen one of archage instanced dungeon and not only was I disappointed, it looked pretty fucking awful imo. i am overall not impressed by everything from archage but still gonna try it anyways....
I was disappointed when I found out the dungeons would be instanced, I'm meh on rng crafting and non-pirate pvp but otherwise seems worth checking out and the ship combat looked pretty sweet imho. Surprised you are so down on it.