Archeage

Dahkoht_sl

shitlord
So are you able to actually interrupt trade routes as a pirate ? Take their booty or demand payment to not take it and so on ?

TrollfaceDeux

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Bronze Donator>
I was disappointed when I found out the dungeons would be instanced, I'm meh on rng crafting and non-pirate pvp but otherwise seems worth checking out and the ship combat looked pretty sweet imho. Surprised you are so down on it.
truth be told, I just want to pillage and burn castles.

tad10

Elisha Dushku
So are you able to actually interrupt trade routes as a pirate ? Take their booty or demand payment to not take it and so on ?
Apparently so, but the trade route changes in 1.0 made pirating more difficult or something - something about routes are shorter or wtf. Hard to decipher complaining about a game I haven't actually played ;-)

Dahkoht_sl

shitlord
Apparently so, but the trade route changes in 1.0 made pirating more difficult or something - something about routes are shorter or wtf. Hard to decipher complaining about a game I haven't actually played ;-)
So theoretically , we could have the Red Panda Pirate fleet , do nothing but sit out there to run down boats trying to pass ? Have RR forums pulled up on 2nd monitor while waiting for victims ? I'm game for sure.

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
So theoretically , we could have the Red Panda Pirate fleet , do nothing but sit out there to run down boats trying to pass ? Have RR forums pulled up on 2nd monitor while waiting for victims ? I'm game for sure.
Supposedly, in the Korean game, one server actually had a powerful pirate guild that the whole server payed a 30% tax on cargo to. So yes.

just wondering about lith's comment. Can't think of any sandbox mmo after that.
That was the last one, unfortunately. I mean, there has been darkfall and a few other poor implementations. But that's it (And of course discounting EVE)

tad10

Elisha Dushku
Supposedly, in the Korean game, one server actually had a powerful pirate guild that the whole server payed a 30% tax on cargo to. So yes.
Oloh did say the pirates have faction issues with some necessary NPC's. But who really cares if you get to be a pirate.

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
Oloh did say the pirates have faction issues with some necessary NPC's. But who really cares if you get to be a pirate.
Yep, and I like the fact that they would have faction issues. Outlaws should have benefits and cons to existing outside of society. One of those cons should be the lack of interaction with a lot of conveniences that normal "citizens" have.

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
I'm curious how satisfying PvP is in AA? I know SWTOR was depressing at end game. WAR was a huge let down before that.... EQII, at one time, had the shining moment of PvP and then they screwed that up as well. Can someone please give us a decent PvP in a MMO? If not, let's just drop it and make it taboo. I would rather have a great PvE experience rather than having PvP placed in front of me like a carrot at the end of a stick.

tad10

Elisha Dushku
I'm curious how satisfying PvP is in AA? I know SWTOR was depressing at end game. WAR was a huge let down before that.... EQII, at one time, had the shining moment of PvP and then they screwed that up as well. Can someone please give us a decent PvP in a MMO? If not, let's just drop it and make it taboo. I would rather have a great PvE experience rather than having PvP placed in front of me like a carrot at the end of a stick.
There are reviews up - land sieges meh, ocean ship to ship good is the memo I read.

Dahkoht_sl

shitlord
If I understand correctly it's always on in certain areas that you will have to go through at some point. As in you can't play on a server where there's no pirates and are going to have to deal with moving your goods through Panda territory.

tad10

Elisha Dushku
If I understand correctly it's always on in certain areas that you will have to go through at some point. As in you can't play on a server where there's no pirates and are going to have to deal with moving your goods through Panda territory.
Yes ocean is open pvp, as I understand. Oloh will correct me if I'm wrong. I'm sure
wink.png

So intercontinental ocean trading is subject to piracy. Not sure if intra-continental trading is the same.

Kedwyn

Silver Squire
I think it depends on the route. I thought I recall there being safe over land routes and even safe water routes but they paid very little. The opposite is also true. IIRC.

Ridas

Pay to play forum
I would love to have a MMORPG with meaningful PvE and PvP, where everything is contested. But I guess it is a CS nightmare and not really viable.

Anyway, It is nice to see Scott on RR nad hopefully there will be a beta or sth soon.

Mr Creed

Too old for this shit
There are27 million people a daythat play a game that its sole focus is "to drive his enemies before him and hear the lamentation of the women." My point is that there are plenty enough wolves to make a PvP focused game without worrying too much about scaring all the sheep away. The notion (eloquently characterized by Bartle) that wolves feed off sheep and if the sheep leave, the wolves will starve might have been representative of the population at one time, but it is not anymore. As games specialize to accommodate the more particular tastes in the market (which most people agree is happening), making a Game of Wolves, is not a bad idea and, if you believe that MOBAs share significantly in the MMORPG market, then it is actually a no-brainer.
If you make a game of wolves, the majority of the weaker wolves will end up being the sheep. In an MMO setting mind you, and by that I mean non-consensual pvp. In any situation where your pvp is more a sport and less a war or mugging the situation can have different results. In DotA everyone can be a wolf (or a sheep or a turtle, if you're requal the name has no meaning) because it's less of a war and more of a sports match. Sure you get screwed and trolled sometimes but at it's core the game is attempting to make a fair match-up. Nobody is doing that for the player in an MMO. Quite the contrary, the plan there is to engage fights where you have the upper hand. Again I stress, the 100 billion LoL players have no problem with the situation because that's all LoL is, consensual arena pvp. That's not the same as an MMO, unless you hamstring the MMO, and if you do that why make an MMO. UO and EVE are the games I'm thinking of when someone talks about PVP MMOs.

TLDR: The LoL analogy breaks down because DotA is a different genre then MMOs.

if you believe that MOBAs share significantly in the MMORPG market, then it is actually a no-brainer.
I dont believe that's the case.