Archeage

Jackdaddio_sl

shitlord
The mechanic in place with labor makes me wonder wtf they were thinking. The first thing any game dev should think about when creating a system is how will the playerbase exploit and abuse the fuck out of this. They simply didn't do this and made their own problems. I just hope they get this shit sorted out by the time I have time to play.
I'm sorry but I simply cannot believe that an entire studio full of industry people couldn't foresee that basic, fundamental point.

If you're a F2P, you HAVE to be in-game (or apparently the char select screen now) to get your points. If you're a Patron, you don't. Trion claims the 'whole game is free' so if that's the only sticking point as a cheeser, of course I'm going to log into the game and not log out until I "got mines". Hell, even the paying people are going to do that in a resource driven game like this.

Anyone with experience in the industry should know that based on dailies from any other MMO. You know the ones where they make you log in to 'claim' something? People only log in to get their shit and then take a walk. But until they get it, they'll keep hammering away.

I think this shit was calculated to a large degree, they were just too stupid to realize exactly how many freecheesers there are out there which is ironic since Hartsman is the Poster Boy/Oracle seer for that shit going by his articles when he left Trion the first time.

Good thing these guys aren't doctors and that was a hospital. Malpractice lawyers would be all over this for this level of negligence.

Jackdaddio_sl

shitlord
Curious if they should of just closed character creation for new accounts to huge servers. Though that usually just brings its own shitstorm as people complain that can't play with friends, but then complain when they get to play with friends but have to sit in queue for hours because they chose the huge server as their home. Oh gamers.
That's exactly what FFXIV did with no flinching. Pissed a lot of the base off but very few quit the game. Once things slowed down they were allowed to Xfer over but that took a good long while. Same with the Veterans; locked to the new servers due to concern about monetary imbalances with people bring gil and maxed crafting/harvesting skills over right away.

AAge doesn't have that luxury though as you and others stated due to the permanent housing situations and loss of items/bonuses once you xfer your guys. Really, the only way for Trion out of this mess is to open up new servers... simply isn't any way around it.

If I was a new player, I'd roll on one of those but I would skip the housing/farm shit since that server will probably be dead in three months and instead put it into crafting or flute playing or w/e until I could later switch to the packed ones when they give xfers for free (cause you know that's coming too).

Vitality

HUSTLE
We have people getting 20 trees(aspen) on their large farms :p Flat land.
Edited my last post. Looks like putting your farm on a slope gets you an extra tree. Which works great for me since I managed to snipe a cliff side with my small farm (enough for a large farm)

My neighbors are pretty pissed about it though.

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
That's exactly what FFXIV did with no flinching. Pissed a lot of the base off but very few quit the game. Once things slowed down they were allowed to Xfer over but that took a good long while. Same with the Veterans; locked to the new servers due to concern about monetary imbalances with people bring gil and maxed crafting/harvesting skills over right away.

AAge doesn't have that luxury though as you and others stated due to the permanent housing situations and loss of items/bonuses once you xfer your guys. Really, the only way for Trion out of this mess is to open up new servers... simply isn't any way around it.

If I was a new player, I'd roll on one of those but I would skip the housing/farm shit since that server will probably be dead in three months and instead put it into crafting or flute playing or w/e until I could later switch to the packed ones when they give xfers for free (cause you know that's coming too).
It's the joy of being developer I guess. Pretty damned if you do, damned if you don't. Either way you will get pissed off people screaming on your forums.

I don't see new servers doing much. Might take queues on kyrios down 20 minutes or so, but there's a reason it has those queues and that's not going to change with new servers. The swarm trying to get in on the super populated servers are still going to try to get in there, new servers or not. What a new server will do is attract f2p players(who have no effect on my queue) and will probably die off in a few months.

Jackdaddio_sl

shitlord
It's the joy of being developer I guess. Pretty damned if you do, damned if you don't. Either way you will get pissed off people screaming on your forums.
But that's kind of my point though.

If your people are smart enough to have figured the problem out beforehand by knowing "Okay, we're going to piss a LOT of people off and we'll lose some but if we stick to the plan, it will work out", then you have to stick to that. That's what SE did.

If any company had a need/reason to appease the "Oh, I can't log the fuck in crowd.. I'm gonna quit!" it was them but they didn't. They were basically flying blind after retooling the game completely. A lot of people thought they were throwing good money after bad, and laughed when they refused to open servers so that longtime players (from 1.0 or even FFXI) could play together or Vet players could play with their new friends on their old characters. People kept saying the game would be dead in a month because the queues were too stupid and not only the game, but the FF franchise was permanently damaged.

SE ignored a lot of that, players learned to adjust and the game is probably the most financial healthy MMO out right now. Now that was a game withALLsubs too.

AAge imo really only has to worry about the cheesers longterm imo. Patrons are always going to come and go and besides, they've already got their $150... but you're always going to have 3x or more as many cheesers who try the game out, spend the equivalent of what a typical sub pays in three months in one go. If they open more servers so they can get in now, they'll be buying Labor pots like crazy and if they get the good spots, they probably will decide to start subbing because now they are invested in the game and want to keep that dominance.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
My complaint about the whole thing is that they basically pissed away their beta tests. They should have closed alpha down and had everyone crammed into the beta servers. I remember when companies used to do stress tests and I'm not sure why that stopped.

Not only that, but they knew exactly how many patrons they had ahead of time, and yet we still had several hour long queues during head start. There's absolutely no excuse for that one. If your servers can't handle every single head start player logging in at the same time, what were their expectations when F2P players got in 4 days later? Throwing some random numbers out, but assume you have 10,000 players who purchased the head start and 2 servers. Does it make any sense whatsoever to have the capacity for your 2 servers be 4000 players each? You're already shorting yourself just your paying players. That's when someone says, "Well, they're not all going to be playing at the same time!" Which is a good point if you completely ignore the fact that your game is fucking F2P and you had (in the real life case) one million people playing your fucking game in open beta. It also ignores one of the selling points of the game in land grabs. Which is one of the major reasons to buy a silver and gold pack as they gave a 4 day head start.

You can then try and use the excuse that they didn't have enough time to order the servers between open beta and launch, to which I'll reply that I said it was absolutely the dumbest thing I've ever seen to have the open beta end so closely to launch. Not only that, but then to throw a bunch of core game features (archeum) into open beta, when those could have been tested in alpha and beta. All in all, they seem pretty shortsighted or incompetant. Not sure which.

Slaythe

<Bronze Donator>
Question: The farmer's workbench. It is definitely worth it to build this and sacrifice the small farm, right?

I suppose what I should do is level an alt to 10 to reserve that small space, but I have my large farm going, last night I completed the farmhouse. That gives me a lot of planting space. Anyway, I just wanted to confirm that the workbench is pretty important and I believe it is, right?

Vandyn

Blackwing Lair Raider
I'm F2P so I can't get too bent out of shape about the queues since I have nothing invested anyway. But if I had dumped money into this, especially upwards of $150, I'd be pretty pissed if I still was forced to wait a few hours to play. Reports seem all over the place on patron queues, I guess depending on the server. Some says 3-4 hours, some say 1.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
It's definitely server dependent to a degree. I said I had about 2000 people in the queues at 6am this morning, but there were only 2 servers with a queue at all that early.

But then, once primetime hits, it seems like they're all in the 2-3000 range.

Vitality

HUSTLE
Question: The farmer's workbench. It is definitely worth it to build this and sacrifice the small farm, right?

I suppose what I should do is level an alt to 10 to reserve that small space, but I have my large farm going, last night I completed the farmhouse. That gives me a lot of planting space. Anyway, I just wanted to confirm that the workbench is pretty important and I believe it is, right?
Farmers workbench is insanely good, being able to craft seed bundles is huge, it's a great labor dump that boosts a variety of skills that would otherwise take tons of clicks to level and insanley value packed as you can get worms from the bundled plants.

Making feed and livestock potions "Used" to be a great source of gold multiplicative resale value and diversification. However It's mainly speculative at this point considering cows aren't as powerful as they used to be (goats kind of are pretty powerful at 15g/day for fur) but you can make much more on mushroom sets atm.

Amycus

Lord Nagafen Raider
Last night when I had been in the Kyrios queue for 5+ hours, it was about bed time so I checked the other servers. Two of them didn't even have a real queue. One was 2 people, the other was 5. The other servers hovered between 1200-2500. This was at around 9pm est.

TheYanger

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I can't even swap servers because it won't let me enter the queue for anything but Kyrios since that's where I have 2 characters. Fucking brilliant. Done with game.

Byr

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
i dont understand how people can cry about queues at a mmo launch, especially when youve gone through as many launches as most of you have. At this point ive spent around 30 minutes in queue because i have a slew of macro programs to keep myself logged into any game.

Deisun_sl

shitlord
Anyone complaining about the queue is simply inexperienced, being lazy, or both. Sorry to say it. I have kept my client online EASILY by simply leaving it at the character select screen (with no 3rd party programs to help). Yes it's a jackass thing to do but hey guess what, fuck everybody.

It's so simple.

Deisun_sl

shitlord
Strange, mine has been on for like 3 days straight day and night, I haven't closed it down. You could also remote into your PC from your phone or work PC and start the queue.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
What's the purpose of you staying at character select for 3 fucking days? After 2 you should be maxed out on labor. You're essentially just screwing people out of logging on.

TheYanger

Bronze Knight of the Realm
i dont understand how people can cry about queues at a mmo launch, especially when youve gone through as many launches as most of you have. At this point ive spent around 30 minutes in queue because i have a slew of macro programs to keep myself logged into any game.
Anyone complaining about the queue is simply inexperienced, being lazy, or both. Sorry to say it. I have kept my client online EASILY by simply leaving it at the character select screen (with no 3rd party programs to help). Yes it's a jackass thing to do but hey guess what, fuck everybody.

It's so simple.
You guys are flat out idiots. I've been through every launch, and they've all been trivial to manage queues even if they were long. THIS is absurd shit.

How praytell do you suggest I get to the character select screen without enduring the queue? How do you suggest I deal with the server crashing when I finally DO get through the queue? How do you suggest I reroll to a different server when I can't because I made my TWO toons on the PRX server the first day when it was only a 5 hour wait instead of a 12 hour one?

My client was running for nearly 2 straight days (aside from the two times it crashed because their awful hackshield just decided I was hacking the game while it ran idly in the background) and I did not even get to character select a single time.

You are literally retarded if you think that is acceptable.

And no, "LOL FREE TO PLAY" is not a solution, because fuck you if you think I'm actually going to spend a dime just so that I can spend 5 hours in a queue instead of 12. No sane person would. The gameplay is trashcan in the first place, I only like the economy aspects and wanting to potentially do some pvp with cool people, frankly...I can just play other games.