Archeage

Bruman

Golden Squire
Yeah - we got rolled pretty good on Sunday when we tried it. We had some decent fights. I'm not saying it's a loss already by any means - I'm just saying the initial signs aren't what I was hoping for.

In Hasla they did a LOT of "shrine turtling" on late Sunday. Even when they outnumbered us. Then today in Hasla, we drove them out, defended the spot, so they waited until peace time and had so many we couldn't burn them down fast enough, even though we were getting tags.

Maybe that's just the token farming groups though. They had some good attacks during Halcyona on Sunday, but when we went to their fort, they refused to come out. Hard to tell if that's cowardice or just smart play though. So at the end we just dived into their spot and completely obliterated them, haha. It was pretty awesome.

Jackdaddio_sl

shitlord
Tuco_sl said:
Tonight PRX engaged in a large battle with the West. They formed two full raids and invaded PRX Village. We rucked up and engaged them, defeating them on the open field, pushing them into the Nui Shrine, then pincering their counter attack. Finally we pushed them off our land and created a human chain to block the invaders.
Have no more interest in AAge (for various reasons) other than reading the salty tears flowing from it by Patrons and the accounts (from anyone) about the PvP battles, although PRX seems to have the better ones.

You guys really got reported for basically PvPing too well last week?

Derpa

Trakanon Raider
Listening to that Pace guy is not only annoying as hell but he seems like a total bitch by running away at any little thing

Desidero

N00b
I wonder if Trion would ever consider implementing client-side regex chat filtering for those who don't feel like right click -> blocking a gold spammer every 3 minutes...

eVasiege_sl

shitlord
So I'm only level 23, but I'm trying to figure out other things to do. I can do questing for like half an hour then I have to just stop. I want to craft shit and starting fishing, but not sure how exactly. Are there any decent guides online?

sebur

Bronze Squire
I know me and my friend did a lot of mining and made hereafter stones to level. Not quite sure what is the most efficient but it seems pretty quick. We did use labor exp pots though.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
You guys really got reported for basically PvPing too well last week?
Not exactly. The guys we were protected the packs against couldn't take us, so they instigated a fight against our group and then died over and over again while blocking us from building. When we finally built they taunted us about how much crime points we were going to get or whatever when they reported our blood. We all took turns killing each other to send us to jury and I think all of us were declared innocent.

It's not that we PvP'd so good ( we heavily outnumbered them), it's just that they wanted to hurt us anyway they could, so they choose to die to make as much crime as possible.

Pasteton

Blackwing Lair Raider
So anyone done the 5man dungeons much? I just got to the lvl 40 one howling abyss, and the third boss in there is rapey mcrapekins on us. It seems like pure rng on when the tank goes splat. Is there a trick to this fight? We are burning the elemental adds as soon as they pop

Vandyn

Blackwing Lair Raider
What's performance been like on these huge pvp battles? I've got a pretty decent PC but it does start to chug a little when you get into towns with a lot of people, even on medium settings.

I went to mirage island for the first time and was pretty overwhelmed by everything there. Is there more to it than just being a giant trade hub?

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
What's performance been like on these huge pvp battles? I've got a pretty decent PC but it does start to chug a little when you get into towns with a lot of people, even on medium settings.

I went to mirage island for the first time and was pretty overwhelmed by everything there. Is there more to it than just being a giant trade hub?
surprisingly good actually. Try out one of the rift events, you'll get 150 people spamming their stuff and no graphical or network slowdown.

Cerzi

Golden Knight of the Realm
Tips for leveling:

1. NEVER LEVEL ALONE
2. NEVER LEVEL ALONE
3. NEVER LEVEL ALONE

Aside from that, here's some other tips

1. Never level alone - find a buddy. Make a buddy. Go back to quests you've finished, and oh noez, you might have to help them catch up to you.
a. Most gank squads just want to an easy solo kill. Even having 2 or 3 buddies will sometimes deter people enough
b. It can suck on some OA quests to be in a group, but suck it up. Most quests are kill quests go sooo much faster with multiples
c. Things dying faster = you getting hit less. You'll have more HP if you get PVP attacked
d. Things dying faster = you don't have to use all your fancy cooldowns every mob to not die. You'll have more tools if you get PVP attacked
2. Overachieve the fuck out of everything. Do it. Now. I think I've skipped maybe 2 or 3 quests total (now 48) from OA'ing. Most you should do it. Why?
a. You're already there killing/clicking shit. No time lost moving between hubs
b. You're in your group right? Safety in numbers. Again, no time lost finding buddies
c. You'll be that much higher for later zones
3. As ganking gets worse, fight in lower zones you haven't done yet. Go in order. Silent Forest -> Yny -> Halcy -> Hellswamp -> Sandeep -> Rockborne -> Windscour -> Perinoor -> Hasla -> Karaksaraifawiefar
a. You'll be higher level than the regular shits in the zone. You'll want any advantage you can get for gank squads
4. If at all possible, hunt in peacetime zones. This is why zones go to peacetime - so gankers can't completely stall people leveling
5. Level in crafting. There are crazy awesome ways to level crafting/gathering, but you do NOT have to get fancy. Vocation pot (cheap on AH I hear, or marketplace) + mining, or making easy shit (logs -> lumber, stone -> stone brick, ore -> bars) will get you a little over a level per hour typically.

So, yeah, gank squads suck ass, but you can still make progress at almost any time. After that, play smarter. No, it's not the WoW model, and the world is semi-EQ/UO in that it requires you to be social and embrace the MM part of MMO. It's not for everyone.
Why worry about it so much if there are seemingly zero penalties to dying in pvp without a trade pack? I mean it makes it basically equivelent of WoW-era open pvp in the sense that you have nothing to lose - besides a bit of time, being mildly annoying. If anything, the justice system in this game means you're actually less likely to get ganked than you were in a WoW-style MMO. I mean, what's in it for the PK if he doesn't actually get a damn thing out of the kill (no loot, no xp?) but is still given a punishment? Basically becomes a troll toll.

Bruman

Golden Squire
Why worry about it so much if there are seemingly zero penalties to dying in pvp without a trade pack? I mean it makes it basically equivelent of WoW-era open pvp in the sense that you have nothing to lose - besides a bit of time, being mildly annoying. If anything, the justice system in this game means you're actually less likely to get ganked than you were in a WoW-style MMO. I mean, what's in it for the PK if he doesn't actually get a damn thing out of the kill (no loot, no xp?) but is still given a punishment? Basically becomes a troll toll.
Have you actually played the game past the safe zones? It can be almost impossible to get a quest done in later zones if you aren't running with friends. You can easily get stuck fighting PKs (later zones are typically opposite faction), and not really being able to progress. It quickly becomes just constant fighting sometimes. And that can be fun (not if you're outnumbered though), but it gets frustrating if you're actually trying to, ya know, progress your character.

The opposite faction doesn't get crime points for murdering you. Just the satisfaction of killing you. If you're an easy target, they're going to get their satisfaction, because why not?

moontayle

Golden Squire
Some people get off on that kind of thing though. Wife and I were leveling in Hellswamp the other day and kept getting attacked by random 50s from the West faction. East made an effort to try and push back but it was literally a bunch of high 30s east people versus a bunch of 50s from West. As you can imagine, it was a losing scenario. We eventually left to go play farmville until peacetime hit. /shrug

The All Calls have been pretty awesome. A little confusing at times until you get a handle on what's being done. The portal fake last night was epic.

Vandyn

Blackwing Lair Raider
Some people get off on that kind of thing though. Wife and I were leveling in Hellswamp the other day and kept getting attacked by random 50s from the West faction. East made an effort to try and push back but it was literally a bunch of high 30s east people versus a bunch of 50s from West. As you can imagine, it was a losing scenario. We eventually left to go play farmville until peacetime hit. /shrug

The All Calls have been pretty awesome. A little confusing at times until you get a handle on what's being done. The portal fake last night was epic.
Isn't that really the very nature of PvP though, where it's really only fun if the PvP is on a (somewhat) level playing field? A lot who play these type of games are not interested in a level playing field (which is why you see some reports of players shying away from combat when there are equal leveled players around but if 15-20 levels lower = fair game). Not saying everyone plays like that, but some do.

As you said, PvP (and not just in this game) really shines in a group, preferably large environment.

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
I haven't had any issue yet with PVP in the later zones. I am 44, now in Windscour Savanah. I am always soloing.

I got into pvp action once or twice in Halcyon, maybe 4-5 times in Hellswamp. None in Sandkeep, none in Rockbourne, and none in Windscour so far.

In both Halcyon and Hellswamp though, it was during wartime...which I usually try to avoid. This is when people get Honor for kills, and I find people usually will form hunting pvp groups, in normal unrest time. It seems people are just there for questing and everybody leaves each other alone, aside from maybe a few bored 50s.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Wow, so this morning I was able to log in before work to do my farming and there was NO QUEUE on Kyrios. Things are looking up.

Now to see how long before this isn't a queue when I get home from work. Last night it was definitely shorter than it had been. Think it took around 2 hours (like it did in head start).

Vitality

HUSTLE
Quick update on where Trion's at with our 10% discount on the hartsbux shop:

Here's a statement I'm about to add to the FAQ: When the Patron Program was announced months before launch, a 10% Marketplace discount was listed a Patron perk that would be introduced some time after launch. While we ran into a technical issue with the perk as it was originally concieved, we have a potential solution in mind that doesn't involve developer bandwidth and is being worked on by our Platform Team. We'll have full details on it soon and yes it will apply retroactively for all Patrons. So good progress being made.

Shaod

Trakanon Raider
Have you actually played the game past the safe zones? It can be almost impossible to get a quest done in later zones if you aren't running with friends. You can easily get stuck fighting PKs (later zones are typically opposite faction), and not really being able to progress. It quickly becomes just constant fighting sometimes. And that can be fun (not if you're outnumbered though), but it gets frustrating if you're actually trying to, ya know, progress your character.
I've been 50 on Dahuta (EU) for a few days, and I agree with his statement. Because there's no death penalty, if you're trying to get something done it can be more productive just to ignore them. If somebody kills you it doesn't matter: you can be back in a short amount of time (2 or 3 minutes at the most). While some may, very few people are going to waste their own time and productivity killing you over and over, because they gain little (just the exp - which is irrelevant at 50 anyway) out of it and it slows them down. I've never had it happen more than 2 or 3 times, and I've certainly never had it be impossible to get a quest done solo.

I personally think there should be a (small) death penalty, but I'm aware how unpopular that opinion is nowadays (with both players and designers). In War, with honor to be won and lost it's a different matter: War is a good example of how a small death penalty can completely change the dynamic, with rewards for kills and a reason to avoid death.