Archeage

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Good read, I sincerely hope you're wrong.
We'll see. Maybe I'm alone in this, but I think what developers don't understand is that open-endedness is the source of longevity in these kinds of games, and open-endedness can only happened in risky and unconstrained environments.

A good example is the ship physics in this game, it's hugely ambitious for XL to create a system with such an open physics engine that attempts to model the ocean and ships in an open way. This loose and imperfect system allows crazy shit to happen which is hugely fun and entertaining. You just don't know what is going to happen when your fishing boat with 5 marlins rams a cutter. Most of the time the cutter absorbs the impact and things operate as you'd think, once in a while the marlin seem to swim in unison and blow the cutter clean out of the water and send it flying through the air. This shit is hilarious and makes things more fun.

That openness is why open world PvP is so much more fun and engaging than arena PvP (which is great too). You can go out and have no idea what kind of shenanigans you're going to run into. But it makes for very uneven gameplay which does not appeal to many players. A player will go out, get wrekt and say, "This isn't fun, I want my fun doled out evenly and cleanly with no lows or peaks.", and developers cater to that.

Vandyn

Blackwing Lair Raider
We'll see. Maybe I'm alone in this, but I think what developers don't understand is that open-endedness is the source of longevity in these kinds of games, and open-endedness can only happened in risky and unconstrained environments.

A good example is the ship physics in this game, it's hugely ambitious for XL to create a system with such an open physics engine that attempts to model the ocean and ships in an open way. This loose and imperfect system allows crazy shit to happen which is hugely fun and entertaining. You just don't know what is going to happen when your fishing boat with 5 marlins rams a cutter. Most of the time the cutter absorbs the impact and things operate as you'd think, once in a while the marlin seem to swim in unison and blow the cutter clean out of the water and send it flying through the air. This shit is hilarious and makes things more fun.

That openness is why open world PvP is so much more fun and engaging than arena PvP (which is great too). You can go out and have no idea what kind of shenanigans you're going to run into. But it makes for very uneven gameplay which does not appeal to many players. A player will go out, get wrekt and say, "This isn't fun, I want my fun doled out evenly and cleanly with no lows or peaks.", and developers cater to that.
They cater to it because that is what the market has shown that players want (at least a majority of them). For as successful a game as EvE is, it is still very much a niche title that does not appeal to the average player (and there are a number of reasons for this, not just the open world aspect of it). This game (Archeage) actually proves the theory that your average PvP player only engages in open world PvP when the odds are in there favor (absent any sort of incentive to engage in PvP to begin with). Open world PvP games can be fun, but only when the majority of the playerbase chooses to actively participate in it. XL Games designed Archeage with too many 'outs' (IMO), ways to avoid PvP in a world that should embrace it.

badlok

N00b
I am/was on Naima.

I still have subscription time from the Archeum Founder's pack...so will log to pay my taxes to keep my house+farm+aquafarm until it runs out. In case they bring 1.7 before my subscription runs out and I want to check it out.
smile.png
ok nice and good idea.

I was asking on wich server you were playing since i play on Ollo in a big Quebecers guild, i thought that maybe we were playing on the same since you're from MTL

Pasteton

Blackwing Lair Raider
Ya I think in the western market this game will develop a pretty consistent niche following , for people who enjoy this kind of fun - this is ONLY if shit is left alone. This game may be the perfect example of a clueless developer not knowing when to leave well enough alone, and a greedy grubby handed publisher that can't see the forest for the trees in their attempt to make a disgraceful money grab (hartsman should be ashamed of himself and his company )

Oldbased

> Than U
I got my reimbursement package today from where I was hacked 5 weeks ago. They couldn't locate the record taken when I was hacked the GM in chat said he took so they based it on time since and number and levels of my characters at the time of the hacking.
I had 2 characters at the time
It was 500/350 gold
150/115 gilda stars
45 loyalty each
6000 store credits

What I lost was all gear on my main 50th which was mostly basic illum, 7-10 companion crusts ( can't remember ) 150 gold + plants/ores and whatnot and around 30 worker comp pots.
Came out pretty fair I thought.

Morsakin

Golden Knight of the Realm
I got my reimbursement package today from where I was hacked 5 weeks ago. They couldn't locate the record taken when I was hacked the GM in chat said he took so they based it on time since and number and levels of my characters at the time of the hacking.
I had 2 characters at the time
It was 500/350 gold
150/115 gilda stars
45 loyalty each
6000 store credits

What I lost was all gear on my main 50th which was mostly basic illum, 7-10 companion crusts ( can't remember ) 150 gold + plants/ores and whatnot and around 30 worker comp pots.
Came out pretty fair I thought.
Pretty similar results compared to a friend of mine who received his two days ago; good to see they're reimbursing for lost time / effort accordingly.

Kharza-kzad_sl

shitlord
Tried to post this earlier and got a database error. Did you guys see the bit about the red comet car? The producer lady said they wanted to have it purchasable via starry stars.

I wonder if they will do the same with the vocation badges version.

The Timber is still rebalancing they said. They must be doing something complicated for it to take so long.

moontayle

Golden Squire
I just don't get some of the "rebalancing" decisions. They're pure luxury items, they don't break anything and the number of people that would bitch about an imbalance probably exist in the 0.1% of players demographic.

Bondurant

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
This isn't too special a story but man was it fun. This game has a ton of issues and the cheats are frustrating, but there's never going to be another game where this stuff goes on every day.
Archeage is a game where, if you're on the wrong place at the wrong time, you'll miss fun. During the first month's release I remember doing 3h primetime sea roaming and never meet any interesting fights. Then there's that fight, you stumble on some merchant / fish group where people actually fight for their lives, they're geared, somewhat organized and competent. They're willing to defend their shit. It's 5-15mins of genuine fun. You'll remember this fight. But the again, you'll forget it during the endless hours you'll spend actually looking for a nice pvp fight. And then you have people with families, kids and jobs, they're going online from 8 to 12 and they just cba roaming the seas for hours, hoping to meet PvP. They just don't have time. They can't play all day long 24/7 looking for good PvP. They'd rather sell their soul to instanced PvP like WoW and whatnot to get the most of their time.

Shortly after TS chest madness and the elephant in the room obvious exploit about them, I decided to go back to WoW to check inbstanced PvP. Man, it's fun to tag in some instance and actually fight people willing to do PvP. I don't really know how's US PvP community right now, but in EU it was absolutely disgusting. Most of the "Hardcore PvP circa 1999" guilds are ant colonies, they recruit people with lots of playtime to farm / rush content to the bone. They don't care about community, they hire productive players to get the best of the game. They don't care about PvP, they just want the best the game has to offer on an work efficiency level. On my server we had that ant colony guild, they were running dual merchant ship runs on a hourly basis (sticking to safe zones of course), doing early morning pirate / kraken kills. They geared themselves like any of their core player was as efficient as a fucking Death Star, Delphinad weapons and full Epherium armor. What did they do PvP wise ? Their leader was streaming 1v1 arena fights and they sometimes rushed Hasla full raid for 10-15 mins and never gave a fuck about actual PvP. Most of their core DPS members had less than 100 Hostile Faction Kills.

Of course Archeage has its flaws, and Trion didn't / couldn't do a great job. They did poor choices, probably based on shitty community management and bad market knowledge. The game could have been awesome if XL Games sold their licence to some competent and willing team. I don't know, I'm just a player, I don't really know shit about game development and production. I played the game for a solid two month period and I had genuine fun. I don't even have regrets. I knew the game, how it would be (poorly) handled from Trion, and how it was all about getting the most fun during release. I had a lot of fun, probably more than most MMO releases since Age of Conan. But it has come to a point where, when I want to do some serious PvP, I want to fight serious people, I just cba chasing people with ecofuel for hours just before they unsummon / stealth and call it a day. From what I've seen, open world PvP isn't even a niche nowadays. If you create a game environment where long distance runs matter and PvP can be avoided, you can be quite sure you'll spend your time being the wolf in a place where sheep wear blue helmets.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
lol that setup sounds silly. I can assure you that on US side on Kyrios it's not nearly as organized and boring. There's a lot of peacetime only trade pack running going on, but there's a lot of pvp too.

This is probably the third time I've suggested making intercontinental trade pack runs be much more lucrative, but that would dramatically improve the pvp. Just make a pack turn in on the Serpentis mines that's extremely valuable and boom, you've got sea and land PvP. It'd also help to reduce the speed of the merchant ship to be slower than a cutter, but that's minor.

Boloboy

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Still have a 150 founders account im not using with 5400 credits...will trade for DA I...if interested pm me

Cybsled

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
lol that setup sounds silly. I can assure you that on US side on Kyrios it's not nearly as organized and boring. There's a lot of peacetime only trade pack running going on, but there's a lot of pvp too.

This is probably the third time I've suggested making intercontinental trade pack runs be much more lucrative, but that would dramatically improve the pvp. Just make a pack turn in on the Serpentis mines that's extremely valuable and boom, you've got sea and land PvP. It'd also help to reduce the speed of the merchant ship to be slower than a cutter, but that's minor.
Fully loaded merchant ships being slower will be a thing in a future patch. That being said, unless they make the runs lucrative, people will just avoid said runs.

Byr

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
its hard to make cross continent trade pack runs more lucrative until you fix the basic broken shit in the ones that exist. 6g for a 5 minute run from rookborne to falcorth at 70%, lets say around 4g profit (i havnt played in a while but id assume its still pretty close to that). cross continent would need to be 60-75g at 70% to be comparable, including the added risk?

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
How did your guys' scroll bids go?

I heard on EU a scroll went for 30k

On Kyrios the leader of The White Order, Sorcerer, was planning on buying on his castle's scroll and an enemy castle's scroll. However he did not attempt to bid up the siege scrolls prior to them closing and instead relied on being able to snipe them at the end.

This resulted in him losing his castle's scroll to Mostly Harmless. It's rumored he lost the other one and bought it for 25k and some Kraken loot, but that could be bullshit and he got the other scroll from the Auctioneer. His scroll went for 8k and the other for 1k. We'll see how things go but Sunday should be fun!

Ridas

Pay to play forum
Anyone else unable to login or get on their website? Are they getting DDOSed again?

Anyway, I am still enjoying the game. I have done my Hasla Farming and now am in full PvP-mode. I just kill whoever messes with guildmates and raid the sea. It is still fun to me.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
What an idiot. I wonder what the PRX scroll will go for. There's a lot of haters out there.
At this point nothing would surprise me. Whatever happens we'll be ready.

They tripled the health of the walls/guard tower since alpha though, so sieging is really no joke. We're going to be doing everything we can to win on Sunday, but it favors the defenders immensely.