Archeage

Cybsled

It's actually F2P...but the reality is it is P2W.

Monthly sub gets you some perks, though (ability to own land, labor regen offline and a higher pool, ability to use the auction house anywhere, etc).

Bondurant

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
It's actually F2P...but the reality is it is P2W.

They're bringing Fresh Start servers which will have gear hard caps, like Magnificent during the first 3 months, then they'll gradually raise the cap every now and then. Which makes the game less P2W because a lot of people will have the same gear at some point. It's Trion and XL Games though, so P2W like RNG crates and regrade scrolls at cash shop are almost a certainty.

Penance

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Another amazing game destroyed by p2w and crazy grind. I always though that this game and BDO combined could be the next coming of jesus. The formula is there, just need a competent developer to pick it up.

Bondurant

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
xlgames-logo.png

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Vepil

Gamja
<Bronze Donator>
I really want to play again but that comic nails it home. I remember XL Games and Trion are in charge and would be better off hitting myself in the head with a hammer.

Bondurant

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I'm gonna play it because some of their restrictions look interesting on paper adn the guild warfare looks promising on the EU Fresh Start server but I'm fully aware it will last a few months at best before either Trion or XL Games fuck up the game with P2W stuff or RNG lootboxes.

Tredge

Vyemm Raider
Decided to hop back in for Fresh Start April 5th.
Havent played since Kyrios launch and left with most everyone else here. Had a blast while it lasted and hope to get some of that experience back.

A few things I have learned that made me decide to give it a go.
  • Raised the tier at which equipment wont break when upgrading (effectively narrowing the gap between those with decent and top gear)
  • Eliminated most stat potions from crafting and shop
  • 4.5 patch has sweeping class rebalance shaking up the typical builds
  • No head start - cant place land for the first 2 days
  • I'm bored to tears with the sad state of MMO's this year and early AA was a bright spot in recent memory
I expect to get a few weeks of fun building a boat and doing some open sea battles. Hopefully the content updates over the last 3 years will keep things interesting.
Worst case I get to bitch about how Trion/XLGames screwed everyone over yet again.

Vepil

Gamja
<Bronze Donator>
Probably doing the same, should give me about 2-3 months of fun before whales/trion make it unbearable again.

Bondurant

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Regarding the Fresh Start server Discords there's a majority of people looking for that "gold rush" fun factor MMO wise. Leveling, land rush / grab, establishing communities, rivalries, commerce, politics, balance of power, shenanigans, dramas, plots, schemes, backstabs etc all along.

Almost everyone knows XL Games is an awful, racist developer having no clues maintaining a solid sandbox gameplay experience in a western market and Trion Worlds publishing the game like a meth dealer, milking customers for quick cash and easy money through genuine "Pay To Win" features.

What's interesting for this Fresh Start venue is that gear become kind of normalized, shit gear gone and top gear being way less RNG, basically timegated like WoW during an established schedule through months so everyone can catch up at some point without maxing their credit cards. Also metaplay is getting a blank slate, which is quite interesting regarding Archeage unique class setup.

Of course there's gonna be huge queues, crashes, bugs, probably exploits / cheats, bad communication from both Trion and XL Games and such. It's way far from perfect, but regarding current MMO market, it's as good as we're gonna get sandbox PvP wise. I think nowadays getting involved for more than a few weeks into any MMO is great. Not because the game is great, but because the game allows people to build it.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Tredge

Vyemm Raider
I quit when they put thunderstruck trees on the cash shop. Doesnt get more p2w than that imo.
Is that gone now at least?

Vepil

Gamja
<Bronze Donator>
No idea, sounds like it is for the FS server but you can never trust them fully.

Anyone have a founders code sent to them and don't want it please send it my way. Thanks

Bondurant

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Markteplace is disabled on Fresh Start Test Server. It's safe to assume there's gonna be RNG boxes and quality of life items at first. P2W doesn't really matter because gear is capped at Epherium during the first months, so gear gap, while existant, won't really be an issue.

Tredge

Vyemm Raider
Streamers are saying XLGames finally caved to a degree and 4.5 is finally a step away from the p2w model.
With the gear limits on fresh start and the skill changes - no more one shot with credit cards. Some even predict a lot of crying from long term players being carried by gear meeting up with truly skilled players. Going to be interesting if true.

I am skeptical but will play either way. Starting on West this time.

Vepil

Gamja
<Bronze Donator>
You can only have one character per account on Fresh Start just an fyi. If you want to play east you would have to make another account.

Ridas

Pay to play forum
Looks like we are going all out on FS with Aesir. Will be fun dominating a server again.

Vepil

Gamja
<Bronze Donator>
Don't think so other than Ridas' old guild. Not many are glutton's for punishment like some of us. I played west for 3 years so going east this time.

stankwoo

Silver Knight of the Realm
Would this be worth it for someone who has never played but wanted to when it first came out?

• 1Barf
Reactions: 1 user