Archeage

bytes

Molten Core Raider
Has Trion said anything about how this game is supposed to be moving forward after release? I thought I read some time ago how ArcheAge is pretty much dead in Korea, is Trion at all able to develop their own content for the game?

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>
Has Trion said anything about how this game is supposed to be moving forward after release? I thought I read some time ago how ArcheAge is pretty much dead in Korea, is Trion at all able to develop their own content for the game?
This is my only real problem with the game. I don't see it lasting and I don't see a lot of effort, time or money going into keeping it afloat once the honeymoon is over. It will be fun until that time though.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
Korea did some shitty things to the game, then they fixed them. Hartsman replied to those concerns on reddit. Go do a search.

Eidal

Molten Core Raider
this game seems awesome, but incredibly tedious at the same time? i rarely ever do crafting or other bullshit in my mmos and this seems to be all about that tedious stuff.
Honestly man, the farmville aspect of the game is the path of least resistance. I've tested income running substantial illegal farms compared to mining compared to camping specific "rare" mobs. The structure of the crafting system makes sense enough to me now to say that all the MMO archetypes can find SOMETHING to do:

PVP: Killing players of the other faction give you honor. Honor points can be redeemed for very strong stuff that isn't permanent. This stuff will likely be better than whats commonly available for a long time given how rare it'd be to craft max-tier loot.

PVE Camper: I've stumbled upon a few rare mobs that drop 3-4 Archeum Shards. Respawn 20-40 min. This is a substantial amount of gold on the AH.

PVE Crop Tender: Gilda Stars will be in demand for a long time and if you can make a profit planting cotton/turmeric on the alpha (you can) then you'll make way more profit on a live server assuming you have a sub. Right now everyone on alpha is treated as a subscriber so not only is the server packed with players but the economy of the game is skewed because there are WAY WAY more labor points being generated.

For the record, I have NEVER EVER liked crafting in my MMOs and I've always treated it as a tedious timesink. A fundamental difference in Archeage is that guilds can not powerlevel a crafter-- everyone starts from scratch and can choose what they want to specialize in. The RNG aspect of the crafting system makes building BIS gear a very very very long and expensive endeavor. I can see a lot of depth in this economy, and its definitely pulled me in. I'm starting to think that labor points are the most valuable resource in the game, and this becomes even more true if you're part of a guild with some sort of strategy.

tldr; crafting sucks in previous mmos because raid gear > all. crafted gear in AA is the best but its very very expensive. even people who despise crafting can spend their labor points to help a friend out, and if they dont' even want to do that then they can hunt rare mobs for essential items in all crafting recipes.

This is my only real problem with the game. I don't see it lasting and I don't see a lot of effort, time or money going into keeping it afloat once the honeymoon is over. It will be fun until that time though.
I've heard it mentioned that the reason AA failed in Korea (it pretty much did) was because it released with a box and sub as opposed to F2P. Given what I know of the game now, I'm very optimistic that this game will do well in NA with a F2P system.

There is a HUGE demand for a game similiar to Eve that isn't Eve. This game is a suitable compromise, and F2P makes it easy to sell to friends.

That being said, I am still concerned about the security aspect. I hope that Trion understands that the hacks/exploits that plagued KR and RU will ruin their game and I --hope-- they have enough awareness and control to act promptly.

Selix

Lord Nagafen Raider
Well finally got my speedboat created and (luckily) I decided to do a breaking in run to the banana turn in for a large farm before actually making a banana pack and doing the turn in for real. I die once to a pirate boarding my ship because I wasn't paying attention and stopped to fight a sea bug that jumped me (lol).

I avoided 2 more pirates and took a long route around to finally get to the banana turn in port and just as I am about to turn around 2 pirate gliders slide into view directly in front of me then a freaking BATTLESHIP full of the fuckers pops into view and is firing away. Takes like 3 seconds to wipe the floor with me.

So I probably won't be doing the banana turn in until I can find like 40 people to travel with.

1 the patches coming has level cap increase, Trion said they will delay that so players can get to 50 and not have level cap increase thrown in there faces at same time.

mrmoneda_sl

shitlord
1 the patches coming has level cap increase, Trion said they will delay that so players can get to 50 and not have level cap increase thrown in there faces at same time.
When they said this, did they mention whether or not the class/balance changes would come in sooner? Pre-1.0 class balance is fairly non-existent and it seems silly to let players get used to abilities/stats/gear/etc. while they withhold a patch that fundamentally changes the system.

When they said this, did they mention whether or not the class/balance changes would come in sooner? Pre-1.0 class balance is fairly non-existent and it seems silly to let players get used to abilities/stats/gear/etc. while they withhold a patch that fundamentally changes the system.
what they told me was XL is having the level cap go to 55 and that Trion said they were going to hold that patch back for while as they don't want to sandbag us new players to game from launch with it for a while, that is all I was told.

Scyfi

N00b
Well finally got my speedboat created and (luckily) I decided to do a breaking in run to the banana turn in for a large farm before actually making a banana pack and doing the turn in for real. I die once to a pirate boarding my ship because I wasn't paying attention and stopped to fight a sea bug that jumped me (lol).

I avoided 2 more pirates and took a long route around to finally get to the banana turn in port and just as I am about to turn around 2 pirate gliders slide into view directly in front of me then a freaking BATTLESHIP full of the fuckers pops into view and is firing away. Takes like 3 seconds to wipe the floor with me.

So I probably won't be doing the banana turn in until I can find like 40 people to travel with.
You dont have to turn them in to get credit just get near the docks. Do it at night and if you make it to turn in BONUS if not go on about your way.

Faiona_sl

shitlord
Are they going to add another Alpha server? Because land is getting so scarce (at least on the elf/human side)...my husband bought the thatch farmhouse today and had a hell of a time finding an open plot. After searching for hours he FINALLY found a spot in Hellswamp and that was the only open area he could find. All the newbie areas and the other contested areas were full (except didn't check the subarctic place...since that doesn't seem like a great place to plant shit). Like what would you even do if you just bought the alpha...can't really expect a newbie to go into a contested area to put down their farm. I feel like in less than a week every single plot of land is going to be full...as there wasn't even that many open areas in Hellswamp.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Might be hard to find a spot for a large farm, but it's easy to find spots for small farms. I would assume at some point they'll open a european server so a lot of the stuff would disapear once the taxes aren't paid, but don't think they have other plans otherwise.

GeneralF

Golden Knight of the Realm
I feel like in less than a week every single plot of land is going to be full...as there wasn't even that many open areas in Hellswamp.
Like Eidal said, all players on the alpha server are paying customers. I imagine that at release pre-release, subbing players will spread to a number of servers that will get a lof of FTP players adding up when the 4 day headstart is over, so the housing plots will take a longer time to fill up. Unless every headstart player starts on a specific or a couple of specific servers that is.

an accordion_sl

shitlord
Are they going to add another Alpha server? Because land is getting so scarce (at least on the elf/human side)...my husband bought the thatch farmhouse today and had a hell of a time finding an open plot. After searching for hours he FINALLY found a spot in Hellswamp and that was the only open area he could find. All the newbie areas and the other contested areas were full (except didn't check the subarctic place...since that doesn't seem like a great place to plant shit). Like what would you even do if you just bought the alpha...can't really expect a newbie to go into a contested area to put down their farm. I feel like in less than a week every single plot of land is going to be full...as there wasn't even that many open areas in Hellswamp.
There's a ton of open land in the higher level contested areas... I'd assume at launch, as people are 50 for a while, they'll move the scarecrows somewhere more convenient.

Eidal

Molten Core Raider
Might be hard to find a spot for a large farm, but it's easy to find spots for small farms. I would assume at some point they'll open a european server so a lot of the stuff would disapear once the taxes aren't paid, but don't think they have other plans otherwise.
There is still plenty of space on the east -- people are just stuck thinking that only a temperate coastal property is worth their time. Supply/demand; unless I'm missing something, people in a temperate zone won't have nearly the advantage they think they will on the AH.

EDIT: Also the huge reluctance to build in a 30+ zone. No one is going to waste time camping someones house longer than a few minutes. Log the fuck off and come back in 20 minutes if you can't milk your cows in peace... lol.

Rescorla_sl

shitlord
Don't count out the fact that cash shop purchasable subscription "tokens" are trade-able in game. Or atleast it's rumored they are. This puts a gold valuation on cash shop currency.

Speculative valuation sure, but don't count it out.
Scapes posted on the official forums that players won't be able to spend credits to purchase Patron tokens to resell on the AH.

Vitality

HUSTLE
Can you destroy another's farm and take its place? Or take an enemy faction's farm?
If they stop paying their weekly taxes you can. Also you can damage and destroy under construction houses/farms in unprotected zones regardless of tax status.

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Iirc under-contruction houses/farms and even dry docks have a timer where they are protected before people can destroy them, even non protected zones.