Archeage

Bondurant

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Still trying to decide whether to sub or not myself.
Right now the game has too many limitations regarding F2P players (without sub). You'll end up spending your ingame time buying perks Patron (sub) players already have. Archeage is a game where farming / crafting is essential. If you're either being a serious guy or just want to casually try the game, I'd suggest getting a sub. It's $15, unless you're very poor it makes a huge difference regarding game experience.

And if you have principles, like not spending a dime on free content, Archeage right now doesn't propose viable alternatives. If you don't have a sub you're gonna spend most of your ingame time getting to sub level players. We're talking about $15 here, and Archege leveling isn't appealing, endgame is community / server driven and if you don't have an active guild you're gonna get mugged a lot as soon as you want to deal with real stuff.

As I said before, Archeage is definitely not the new Jesus MMO, it has its flaws and endgame is all about fucking other peoples' shit up while getting yours, guild wise. Getting in it without sub is like playing NFL without armor. You can stay on the bench, avoid blocks, but at some point you're gonna get stomped. Labor mechanic prevents you being a free busy bee without paying gold / credits. It's like SWTOR, you can install the game and do leveling without having to pay a cent, but as soon as serious business comes up, you'll be gimped. Think of F2P as a glorified trial.

Bondurant

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
This is one of the reasons I am glad I am Patron. The increased labor gained
And this is what caused huge queues during release. Creating a game mechanic where staying online gives you more stuff than offline is kind of stupid. Even if you implement harsh AFK Timers, there will alway be people with scripts / macro keyboards staying online forever, just because they don't care shutting their computer down. Char select / creation AFK, courthouse AFK, hitting dummies AFK, your labor regen is doubled compared to offline.

Since Labor is essential to crafting / commerce, if you can manage it, there's no point quitting the client, it's free stuff just staying online. They should give sub players same regen whether they're online or offline, and cut it half for F2P players. Labor is money : with it you can craft, farm, do stuff without having to buy Labor Pots for golds / credits. Anyway it's a "release" issue, the kind of which everyone forget a week after. But that was stupid, and they were aware of it during alpha. Since they forced XL Games arm on latest changes, I think it's Trion's fault. They just didn't anticipate enough.

sebur

Bronze Squire
Well yes, absolutely it was a huge cause of the problems with the queues and ironically enough me and my friends who play it have said the exact same thing as you. Give me offline labor regen equal to my online labor regen for being a patron and I will gladly log off. Otherwise I am looking for any and every way to get around it and get the labor that I feel you are shafting me out of if I were to log out. If you combine this with the fact that questing is such a shitty way to level and it makes the problem even worse.

FWIW, I started out as F2P and bought a single month sub when I was around lvl 25. I'm level 40 now and have close to 200g if I cashed out some crafting mats. And that's after adding a bunch of inventory slots via gold (vs paying for them in the cash shop) A month's sub via APEX (cash shop credits you can get with in-game gold) is around 80g on Kyrios, maybe less. I don't anticipate having to pay anything beyond the initial month.

Everyone is right about leveling via questing. I'm burned out on it now and supplement each level with significant crafting because I'd go nuts otherwise. With Patron, you get 2880 labor/day if you stay online, and things like Iron Ore are super cheap to blow labor on if you don't mine or harvest yourself.

Caliane

FWIW, I started out as F2P and bought a single month sub when I was around lvl 25. I'm level 40 now and have close to 200g if I cashed out some crafting mats. And that's after adding a bunch of inventory slots via gold (vs paying for them in the cash shop) A month's sub via APEX (cash shop credits you can get with in-game gold) is around 80g on Kyrios, maybe less. I don't anticipate having to pay anything beyond the initial month.

Everyone is right about leveling via questing. I'm burned out on it now and supplement each level with significant crafting because I'd go nuts otherwise. With Patron, you get 2880 labor/day if you stay online, and things like Iron Ore are super cheap to blow labor on if you don't mine or harvest yourself.
yeah, this is my recommendation. Said it earlier.
the F2P is a bit too oppressive. no farms, no AH. massive labor shortage. Patreon gets 1440 a day, even if they never log on. A F2P player who plays 3 hours, gets 180/day. patreon 1620 for 3 hour play/day.
The difference isn't just twice as much. 7-10times as much is more common.
F2P is very painful, and locks you out of the core features of farms, crafting, and trade really.

that said, Apex prices seem to be pretty low really currently, considering. If you have any REAL interest in this game, and expect or hope a 3month+ play time. Sub up for 1 month. Get your gold, buy apex now. as much as you can really, it will only go up in price. And cancel your sub next month and beyond, and play for free with your APEX.

I gave up on second character lvl23 or so after rerolling when Kryios opened up. I just don't have the time to get sucked in. Questing was lame as hell as most know, Im sure. some of the hidden questing was neat. But shit rewards.
Couldn't do farming, crafting, etc for the above mentioned reasons. Don't have enough labor to open all my coin pouches, nevermind do anything else.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Tonight we held a naval combat training session. We then went to Hasla to clear the reds out of the token farming zone.
Um0dbXS.jpg

0pYs7HP.jpg

OCzQ4zy.jpg

ve2kqpQ.jpg

Jaybee

Silver Knight of the Realm
Still trying to decide whether to sub or not myself.
FWIW, I started out as F2P and bought a single month sub when I was around lvl 25.
If you have any REAL interest in this game, and expect or hope a 3 month+ play time. Sub up for 1 month.
If you are FTP you can get Patron status forfreewithverylittle work. Run through the main quest line (green quests) until you get 50 Gilda in rewards. This should take 2-3 hours, however you may need to join a group for the last part of the chain. Buy a Thatched Farmhouse or a Harpoon Clipper Design with your Gilda and sell it for 35g-50g depending on what server you are on. Use that to buy 1 APEX. Create another character and repeat the same process again and get another APEX. Voila, cash in your 2 APEX for month of 1 Patron.

Once you get Patron, gold will flow in much, much easier and you can stock up on APEX and never pay a cent. This works well on the new servers (Ezi, Calleil) where there is still land space -- time is of the essence though, this might not be viable in another week or so.

Byr

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
dear trion, nerf defense tree block. give the passive a cooldown if activated to much or something. Thanks. -Archers.

Cybsled

Fuck archers, they are already OP. Blocking your fucking arrows is the only thing that makes melee viable. If anything defense vs. arrows should be BUFFED.

Vandyn

Blackwing Lair Raider
I'll echo what others have said, the F2P is so oppressive that I don't think it's even fair to call it a trial since it really doesn't give you a good representation of what the game is supposed to be. The game is all about crafting and PvP but as a F2P your main exposure is always going to be questing which in this game is downright awful. It makes you wonder how they expect to draw new customers as the game goes on since having to trudge though some of the most boring content you will ever see is not a good look. Then add in the constant spam and some game mechanics that have been plucked from 10 years ago. All that being said, there is (or at least appears to be) a decent game underneath it all but it takes some patience getting there.

Caliane

If you are FTP you can get Patron status forfreewithverylittle work. Run through the main quest line (green quests) until you get 50 Gilda in rewards. This should take 2-3 hours,
what?

2-3hours AFTER hitting level 50 maybe... but those quests are spread out over the leveling process. level 23 and I have 29 gilda from the green quest and dailies.
Heck of alot more time involved then you suggest.

Bruman

Golden Squire
what?

2-3hours AFTER hitting level 50 maybe... but those quests are spread out over the leveling process. level 23 and I have 29 gilda from the green quest and dailies.
Heck of alot more time involved then you suggest.
No, you can rush the green/gilda quests, skipping everything else. Many of us did it at launch. As he said though, you might need some help for those last few gilda.

Vandyn

Blackwing Lair Raider
No, you can rush the green/gilda quests, skipping everything else. Many of us did it at launch. As he said though, you might need some help for those last few gilda.
You can do this solo? Won't you be severely underleveled once you get into higher areas, making some of the kill quests impossible?

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Fuck archers, they are already OP. Blocking your fucking arrows is the only thing that makes melee viable. If anything defense vs. arrows should be BUFFED.
Seriously. As a mage dps, I don't even remotely stand a chance against archers. They have more range, can lock me down with CC, they can break my 3 CC's easily, they have anti-stealth, and they out-dps me (this is possibly because they can shoot on the move?).

For GHA, I've been tanking the 3rd boss, but I'm trying to force my build to be better. Does anyone have an suggestions? I've switched it up to Arcanist (Sorcery, Witchcraft, Auramancy) and grabbed the magic to HP spell, and if I ever max it out I'll also take wings. For gear I'm working on doing a scepter (up to the 34 one I believe) and shield. Otherwise it'll just be GHA cloth armor.

Bruman

Golden Squire
You can do this solo? Won't you be severely underleveled once you get into higher areas, making some of the kill quests impossible?
As I said - you might need help for the last few gilda. I was able to solo though, as a Daggerspell, everything in the directed green quest chain. Then the quest chain ends, and there's another step or two in the Silent Forest - that one I had help with. I didn't try it solo, but I think it would've been pretty tricky. But most of them are just "click the thing" or "talk to the person", at least as cat. Other races may have different experiences. Usually there's enough people in the zone though to get some help downing a mob here or there. You can still do it in 2-3 hours pretty easily.

lindz

#DDs
So the house next to my large farm went up for sale for a good price and I bought it to have two properties next to each other. However the house is super ugly and doesn't fit at all with the other houses in the area. Am I able to replace the house without demolishing and risking the plot? I know nothing about houses yet.