Archery - As a Hobby

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Duskoy

Blackwing Lair Raider
I have a 31.5 VXR in green, its a really good bow. Did you go with the 28 or 31.5? I leave the limb bolts maxed out, you can change the module out if you want to different draw weights.

For 3d targets the best on the market bar none are Rinehart, they are not cheap but you can leave them outside 24/7 and they last. Even in Canada with our winters the targets hold up great.

Here is my turkey target with a scorpion one in the background.

View attachment 308904
I ordered a Green 31.5 in lefty. I tried the 28 but the 31.5 felt better in the hand. I was going to go righty although im left eye dominant (but right handed). I was shooting better lefty though so ordered it in lefty. Do you have any reccomendations for a rest and a sight?

Duskoy

Blackwing Lair Raider
In regards to arrows I am pretty lost too. I ordered the bow in 28 inch draw length @60lb draw weight. I am new to archery

Fealorn

<Bronze Donator>
I ordered a Green 31.5 in lefty. I tried the 28 but the 31.5 felt better in the hand. I was going to go righty although im left eye dominant (but right handed). I was shooting better lefty though so ordered it in lefty. Do you have any reccomendations for a rest and a sight?
I went with a Hamskey drop away rest, the Hybrid hunter Pro, bonus was they had it in green which matches the bow nicely. For a sight I went with a BlackGold 3 pin sight, I didn't want the sight cluttered with too many pins and I wanted more than a single pin so I could have 3 different yardages set on the pins without touching the slider. Keep in mind this is a hunting setup, I have no idea what the pure target guys would be using.

20201012_103443.jpg

Duskoy

Blackwing Lair Raider
I went with a Hamskey drop away rest, the Hybrid hunter Pro, bonus was they had it in green which matches the bow nicely. For a sight I went with a BlackGold 3 pin sight, I didn't want the sight cluttered with too many pins and I wanted more than a single pin so I could have 3 different yardages set on the pins without touching the slider. Keep in mind this is a hunting setup, I have no idea what the pure target guys would be using.

View attachment 309598
Awesome, I was looking at Black Gold and a friend just recommended me the new Mountain Lite by them, going to order it. I am doing a hunting build too as I want to hunt some White Tail in the Northeast. I will check out the Hamskey, it kinda looks like a tank. How is the durability?

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
So these arrow the shop made me - the nocks don't hold well on the bow string at all. I can't even shoot three fingers under otherwise the arrow falls off when I'm doing that initial pull at 45 degrees down.

Are these shitty nocks? Are they normally one size fits all or could they be sized wrong for my bow string?

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
You can learn if you get a jig and whatnot. They make sleeves now you can heat shrink I think that are 3 vanes on one deal so you don't have to glue each vane. Never used them so don't know. Strip the arrow and apply the deal and done super quick. You'll rapidly learn to shoot at different points of impact or you will go through a ton of broken arrows, ripped fletching and all each time you hit another arrow.

$14 a pop is pretty high. I used to pay about $10 each fletched and cut to length with insert for ACE arrows which were pretty high dollar, arbon around a thin aluminum shaft. Super light.

Like everything else you can make it super simple or put a ton more work and money into it. I have an arrow cutoff and a fletching jig. It's a lot of work. It's not as simple as it looks to get it as quick and done as good as someone that has fletched thousands and thousands of arrows. Takes time to get it down.

In all honestly for hunting I've had as much luck with old xx75 aluminum arrows and then carbon and then ACE. I got more speed as I went but dead was dead.

Then after you get fletching down you can try all kinds of arrows quickly to compare them. Easton, then Carbon Express, then Beeman (if they still even make those) the list goes on and on and on and on.
Thanks borzak. Right now I'm shooting 500 spine Bearpaw Penthalon Bandit Shafts, cut to about 29.4 inches, 4 inch feather vanes and field points.

Seems like if I'm shooting outdoors I should be using smaller vanes?

Also looking at

But comes in straight or helical, trying to figure out which to get..

How do you decide on length of arrow shaft? I figure I may have lancaster archery just precut shafts for me while I get fletching down and eventually do my own cutting.

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
Also my setup is a galaxy crescent riser with Limbs ILF Galaxy Bronze Star 68" 28 lbs pull weight.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Been a long time since I fletched. I have straight, left and right helical clamps. Use the same bitzenburger. Just be aware it's pretty fiddly to get them set right to use the first time. Once you got it it's set it and forget it. Clean your arrows where the vanes will be glued on.

The length of the arrow you can measure to your rest and add some to it. When you bought your bow or they made your arrows they should have given you a sheet on the receipt that listed the length of the arrow as cut, the spine, left/right helical/ what vanes etc...were used in the building of the arrows.

Straight nocks sound like those old school straight notch arrows that were mainly used for traditional archery. Modern nocks snap onto the string. They have a bunch of different brands. Your nock choice should have been listed on the build sheet for the arrows as well.

Archery talk website has a whole section on arrow making.

Always shot bonning nocks like these.
$_35.JPG

So if you get someone else to build them they should make a built sheet with type of arrow, type of vane (color of all 3 and how you want the cock feather, the off color one cock up, cock left, cock right etc..) nocks, length, insert used and if you want the vanes fletched with a certain fletch like 120, 4 at 90degrees or straight fletch etc...

If I get motivated I have a few boxes under my bed I may look and see if I have a build sheet later.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Borzak

One last thing. It takes a LOOOONG time to fletch a dozen arrows with one jig. You have to gluve on vane at a time, let it set, rotate it and glue the second vane, then the last. Takes time and at the start you'll strip off a fair number. Buy vanes in bulk.

At a good bow shop they have 12 jigs going around a circle on a turntable. Someone sits down glues up 1 vane rotates the turntable and works around all 12 then the second vane until all 3 are glued down and then sit there to dry. Only takes up a little more than an arrow in length since they are pointed back at the others, hard to explain but it ends up in a circle. You see them often in pro shops with a dozen arrows on it all jigged up ready to go. Some do it 6 at a time in a line, always looked like the round deal on a turntable worked much faster.

You get the idea, but on a piece of plywood that's round that sits on a turntable.

pic-jigs-circle.jpg

Personally if you are just starting out and don't want to eat up hours and hours of time, order them pre cut, pre fletched. Several places do it. Much cheaper than buying a jig or however many. It's not instant success and takes a lot of time to get it down to where it works out compared to odering a dozen off a site that they do it for a living. They make some cheaper jigs that fold up around the arrow and you can do all 3 at a time. Meh, but probably good for a touch up if you shoot a few vanes off.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
If I get back into it, I'm going to get a mongolian bow.

Mongolischer-Reiterbogen1.jpg

• 1Like

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
Borzak Borzak whats the best way to improve? Just shoot often or video tape yourself to critique form and watch youtube vids?

Borzak

No idea really. Grew up with it 40 years ago and shot a lot. So shoot a lot I guess.

• 1Like

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
Want to start practice shooting and eventually shoot rabbits/critters on my ranch, threw this in the cart after reading some beginner "what to get" guides:

1659904209567.png

Wingspan is 72 inches, decided to go with 40lb pull since i'm just starting. Out the door for just over 200 bucks. Anything else I need or should I change up anything? I've got hay bales to shoot into.

Hoss

<Gold Donor>
Want to start practice shooting and eventually shoot rabbits/critters on my ranch, threw this in the cart after reading some beginner "what to get" guides:

View attachment 426827

Wingspan is 72 inches, decided to go with 40lb pull since i'm just starting. Out the door for just over 200 bucks. Anything else I need or should I change up anything? I've got hay bales to shoot into.
What's the spine weight of the arrows? Needs to match the draw weight of the bow as exact as you can. Going over is safer but if its too stiff and it won't fly right.
On recurves and longbows the draw weight changes based on your draw length. IIRC, the draw weight can also be changed on that bow by tightening or loosening the limbs. So you might want a scale to measure that. I dunno, it's not required but if you get more into archery you might want that. I actually never got a scale, instead I got a few arrows at 50, 55, and 60 lb spine and tried them out. You will also be wanting to trim your arrows to match your draw length down the road, and that will change the spine of the arrow.

The main equipment I see missing is a stringer. This is basically what I have. It doesn't have to be fancy but you for sure want something to help you bend the limbs while you get the string on and off. You should not store it strung up.

Oh and if the arrows don't include a repair kit, get one. I'm not sure if the tips can be repaired on carbon fiber, but on wood and aluminum arrows you break the tips all the time and can repair them. The fletchings and nocks are a lot more likely to need repair and those are also pretty easy with a repair kit.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
The main equipment I see missing is a stringer. This is basically what I have. It doesn't have to be fancy but you for sure want something to help you bend the limbs while you get the string on and off. You should not store it strung up.
Meh, bend it like your great great great great great great grandpappy and just use your legs. It isn't that hard...or at least wasn't when I was in my 20s and occasionally shot paper!

Hoss

<Gold Donor>
Meh, bend it like your great great great great great great grandpappy and just use your legs. It isn't that hard...or at least wasn't when I was in my 20s and occasionally shot paper!

As weak as his bows are he might be able to do that, but I was taught it's bad on your bow. The load on the limbs is uneven. With a stringer the load is even and being applied exactly how the bow was designed. Besides the uneven loading, you're also going to side load and twist the limbs until you get it right. If you're fat you may never be able to get it exactly right. It's good to know how to do that in case of emergency but you shouldn't make a habit of it.

I bet your great great great great grandpappy made his own bows and made a new one every few years.

• 1Like