Archive 81

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
So this is really good. But I am unclear why Melody decided to research the Visser apartments in the first place.
The note she got from her mother addressed from there.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Aldarion

Egg Nazi
The ending was good but
During the first two attempts the gate didnt open until after they'd killed the sacrifice. The mom witch did all the rest of the steps but skipped the sacrifice. And the gate opened anyway.

I know they hand waved this with "i'm just opening the gate" but they don't explain why the gate opened for her but not either of the other times.

On an unrelated note, it seems pretty clear the ritual needs to be done outside instead of in a basement, so when the fire part of it goes off the building doesnt fall down on top of it. I mean, they successfully conjured Kalaego twice but he never made it out into the world, both times the building collapsed in a fire at the end of the ceremony. Its like they succeeded but ultimately failed, both times.

Or maybe Kalaego has no intention of coming through and its all a trick to get his loyal followers to feed him sacrifices?

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
The ending was good but
During the first two attempts the gate didnt open until after they'd killed the sacrifice. The mom witch did all the rest of the steps but skipped the sacrifice. And the gate opened anyway.

I know they hand waved this with "i'm just opening the gate" but they don't explain why the gate opened for her but not either of the other times.

On an unrelated note, it seems pretty clear the ritual needs to be done outside instead of in a basement, so when the fire part of it goes off the building doesnt fall down on top of it. I mean, they successfully conjured Kalaego twice but he never made it out into the world, both times the building collapsed in a fire at the end of the ceremony. Its like they succeeded but ultimately failed, both times.

Or maybe Kalaego has no intention of coming through and its all a trick to get his loyal followers to feed him sacrifices?

What I understood was that the cultists got it wrong. While the sacrifice was sufficient to all the opening of the portal to the other dimension, it was unstable and caused the firey explosion. Meldoy's mom was a Badong(sp?) witch "key" whose presence allowed the rift to stay open and not destabilize. Or maybe it was something else but she specifically mentions that the cultists lacked a key to complete the portal ritual successfully.

Caliane

yeah, hard to say. she says the lacked the key.. a tuning fork. but, they did have tuning forks.. and she also implies the fork was used to tune into the right frequency.. which, they did dial the right dimension...
I'm not sure any of that made much sense. some other more likely stuff, is "the demon is lonely". so presumably the door was only one way. The difference being her door was both ways. also, since it was an artificial comet, perhaps the demon simply wasn't ready for the door to open.

theres a few other ways I would have liked to see the ending go. like, that no longer being Melody. 20 years in a demon dimension. that would have been the demon just pretending to be her. That could have been the demon meat puppeting her. That could have been her totally corrupted into a loyal wife/slave of the demon.

what happened to Iris Vos? like here, she shows up in the gate, when opened the second time. why? was she in league with the demon at this point? controlled? why would the demon have let her near the doorway? she wasn't pregnant and didn't have kids? so it didn't give her, her wish. did I miss something with her? why wasn't she still in there, the third time?

Did "archive 81" ever get explained? was it just supposed to be the name of the tapes being auctioned? I think the title hurt this.

I would kindof like to see more movies/tv take this from the other side. like, midnight mass kindof does it the same. they touch upon the cultists backstories. but don't REALLY dive into it, in the way they should. Think about it. imagine if you came across some supernatural being, or event. something undeniably real. atheisms is wrong. Christianity is wrong. not many films really explore someone finding the truth like this. platos cave. from the point of view of the new cultist. They don't even have to be an entity with enmity.
like, Apostle and the druid/forest god. The druid was not evil, the cultists fucked it up. The Ritual from the villagers perspective. the god testing people. forcing them to face their traumas. Starry eyes kindof does this, with evil outcome.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
The way I understood it is she had the PROPER tuning rod which was the key, the others before did not this is why it was all unstable and the murder was unecessary. At least thats what I took out of it

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Khane

Got something right about marriage
There is also the video playing. Melody's mother said the video was thinning the veil which is why he almost got through the computer screens. So I guess that's also part of the reason they didn't need a sacrifice. Basically it seems like anything can call to him and start to meld the dimensions together as long as it involves belief in him in the first place. The stuff with Lillian Voss is inexplicable though. For real why wasnt she there when Dan went in and where did Samuel go when pulled Melody back through? And how come the demon is trapped behind doors even in his own world?

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

reavor

I'm With HER ♀
<Bronze Donator>
Good show, probably the best from netflix in years.

shame about the cliffhanger ending, not a fan of those. some nitpicks: why wouldn't Melody simply climb out with Jess through the window like she said? also not enough explained about how the mom came to start working at the compound. if Davenport knew she was there and was working with her, why wouldn't he simply say "oh there's a groundskeeper here too" to Dan.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Dan attacking Davenport because he refused to help him, almost gets capped then fatboy kills him and claims self defense is some retarded shit.

I think the ritual you shouldn't think about it too hard. It's lol magic. So I guess you need a genetic baldung witch that doesn't give up her magic or have an elaborate synthetic copy like Davenport constructed. That wasn't possible in previous generations with lower technology.

It wasn't clear though. Dan said he just wanted to open the door but Iris and Samuel both intended the same thing. So they could go to the Otherworld and have whatever bullshit they wanted. Iris wanted a child and Samuel wanted who knows what. But Kaelego is jealous and wants some friends to hangout in his extradimensional home.

All the cultists seemed to talk about going there not just wanting to open the door and functionally it all seems the same.

ShakyJake

<Donor>
Not reading this thread yet since I'm still watching...but just wanted to ask, is it me or does Melody have an asymetrical face? Something is bothering me.

Brodhi

I picked the wrong week to stop sniffing glue.
<Donor>
They didn't need to kill anyone because they weren't trying to summon the demon, only open the portal. At least this was their rationale in not needing to kill someone. The tuning rod wasn't any different than the early cultists used, she just actually had one, and made a point of telling the black dude, "hey, you can't do this without a tuning rod stupid, aren't you glad I showed up to help." I don't think there is much reason to try and figure out anything else, nothing was explained.

• 1Like

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Started watching this tonight, pretty creepy stuff. Music is doing a good job of putting you on edge.

• 1Like

kekzilla

Trakanon Raider
Show was pretty good and had a creepy vibe till the end. Was a bit of a let down during the ending though. Was there any reason stated why they couldn't just re-open the portal? Since it was all synthetic materials, you'd think she could just cut her other hand and try again. Also Samuel dragged her into the portal, where'd he go? I guess it is set up for a S2 now and all that will be answered. With a lot of the mystery gone, I am not sure they can keep the creepy vibe going still.

Xevy

Log Wizard
Seems almost like the show Dark with multiple time loops and people traveling between them. I'm guessing there's 3 (maybe 4?) portals. The 1994 one, then 2021 one, and the 1928 (or whatever) one. MAYBE the 15th century one with the original Balvung as well. So Dan goes from 2021---> 1994. Melody goes from 1994--->2021. Iris maybe went from 1928--->1994 (guessing she vanished during the explosion). The Samuel probably went from 1994--->1928 OR the original Balvung ritual in the 15th century. Kind of sets up season 2 as concurrent story in multiple timelines, a lot like Dark.

• 1Like

Gutterflesh

Parody Account
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Not reading this thread yet since I'm still watching...but just wanted to ask, is it me or does Melody have an asymetrical face? Something is bothering me.
Ok I'm not calling her "knees too sharp", but she does seem to be channeling Hillary Swank's forehead.

1643180501247.png

velk

Trakanon Raider
This was pretty good, I was kind of annoyed at how retarded Melody was though. Supernatural mumbo jumbo is one thing, but she makes the worst decisions for the mostly mundane things.

I.e.

Checklist for getting a sample of toxic mold that she is trying to prove causes psychotic breaks
1) Mask - don't need that, masks are for sheeple.
2) Gloves - why would I wear gloves? they make my hands sweaty
3) Something to scrape with - why would I want that when I have perfectly good fingernails ?
4) Something to put the sample in - what for ? I can just carry it in my bare hands back to the hospital

I'm honestly surprised she didn't start licking the mold.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
This was pretty good, I was kind of annoyed at how retarded Melody was though. Supernatural mumbo jumbo is one thing, but she makes the worst decisions for the mostly mundane things.

I.e.

Checklist for getting a sample of toxic mold that she is trying to prove causes psychotic breaks
1) Mask - don't need that, masks are for sheeple.
2) Gloves - why would I wear gloves? they make my hands sweaty
3) Something to scrape with - why would I want that when I have perfectly good fingernails ?
4) Something to put the sample in - what for ? I can just carry it in my bare hands back to the hospital

I'm honestly surprised she didn't start licking the mold.
Yeah lol, I thought the same shit when she was doing that. I think there was a mask hanging on the chair with little jars and scraper too.

Attog

Blackwing Lair Raider
Crooked mouth or something going on, but I don't have a problem with that...

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
About episode 4.
Does Annabelle have her own camera? As far as I could tell, Melody had her camera at the seance the whole time, yet, at the end of episode we see the recording of one of Annabelles drawnings on the monitor at the LMG estate place.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
We could drive ourselves mad with the plot holes here and there in this show. They are definitely there. What this show does well, however, is present a compelling story without having to completely shove glaring problems or macguffins down your throat.

But there are definitely questions the show leaves unanswered or sort of misses the mark on in terms of small details. It's not perfect. But its compelling.

It's one of those gems that very obviously had no budget to speak of but outshines even the mega blockbuster cast shows they hope will float their platform.

• 6Like
Reactions: 5 users