Arizona: Phoenix Suburbs.

Antilles

Idiot Savaunt
I grew up in the suburbs out here and wouldn't want to move back. A lot of people are moving inward once again so your cheaper housing will be in those suburbs, but the quality of life (I think) is better if you can stay more central. I've got some friends living in Coronado which is just North of downtown Phoenix and there has been a pretty significant revitalization over the last couple of years. There are a ton of young families in their neighborhood and they are always doing kid friendly things. With the older neighborhoods you wouldn't be dealing with an HOA either.

My wife and I moved into an Arcadia adjacent neighborhood two years back which is a little more central between Scottsdale, Phoenix and Tempe that I honestly prefer although we don't have kids yet. The homes are all from the early 50s although many have had face lifts but not full rebuilds. There's a better sense of community versus what you get living in the true suburbs. And honestly better restaurants and bars (I posted a ton in the other Phoenix thread). Now that the weather is nice we routinely walk or ride bikes to go eat and drink. I work in Scottsdale and last year I only put 6k miles on my car so if you play your cards right you can even get away with not driving too much.

Speaking of my wife she's actually from PA herself (East Stroudsburg) and she moved out here about seven and a half years ago and hasn't looked back. She's also an RN and she works at PCH. Your wife definitely wouldn't have a hard time finding a job. If you don't mind mentioning her specialty there are certain hospitals she'd probably want to target.

Flagstaff had their first snow of the season a week ago or so if seasons are a must or even if you just want to get a quick taste.

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
What are the worst areas of Phoenix? Like maximum dindu?

I'm fascinated by the rougher areas of town ever since I saw Boys N the Hood and Menace II Society.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
You're an American city. You have a ghetto.
South Phoenix I guess?

TBH though, I went far south on Baseline to all the super shady junk yards. Had to muddy through some Spanglish, still didn't die. I think you have to actually go into a few really shitty neighborhoods just south of downtown at night to get yourself in trouble.

Fifey

Trakanon Raider
Yeah that or Maryvale. West Phoenix south of Grand basically.
Yeah, maryvale used to be bad, maybe sunny slope and what is now the arts district, used to be pretty rough down there. Phoenix doesn't really have super bad ghettos, usually it's little Mexico kind of towns that are just Hispanic day laborers like Guadalupe or El Mirage.

eVasiege_sl

shitlord
Central Phoenix is decent. I'm currently in midtown along Central Ave and it's ok. Most people flock to the Tempe, Scottsdale, Mesa, but I prefer a more city-like feel. I was looking to other larger cities, but ended up here due to work and family. Wasn't aware there was a huge Japanese presence. Don't think I've been to an authentic Japanese restaurant yet, but I know there is a quite a bit of authentic Chinese ones.

Illuziun

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Phoenix is cool, but stay in the East Valley, the West Valley is terrible, basically what nightmares of Phoenix are made of. Chandler is an alright place, but it's super suburban, rows of houses and cheap apartment complexes. We always considered it like a poor mans Scottsdale. If you ever want to do anything nice you can just jump on the 101 and you're right in Scottsdale where all the good food and nightlife is.

As for Japanese culture, in the four years I lived there I didn't see a shred of it.

Crime is near zero, South Phoenix, some pockets in the West Valley, and some parts of Mesa is about it.

One thing I did notice about Phoenix, specifically Scottsdale, Paradise Valley, and Fountain Hills, is that people can be very snotty even though they're nothing special. Scottsdale is kinda known as like a mini Orange country that's a lot cheaper, and the people wear that title proudly and think they'e hot shit.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
I've lived in the west valley my entire life but I've never noticed any difference between it and the east valley besides their fucked up street making scheme.

Who the fuck takes the most well laid out system in the world and says Fuck it.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Crime is near zero, South Phoenix, some pockets in the West Valley, and some parts of Mesa is about it.
I'm surprised to hear you say this. When I lived in Phoenix for 3 years in the late 90's I knew more people that had their cars stolen than in the rest of my life combined.

I did like the street layout. That and Filliberto's are the only positive memories I have of Phoenix.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Yea well most of us don't have friends that live in abandoned warehouses south of downtown.

Also more seriously, it's somewhat less lucrative these days. The common targets aren't Audi R8s they're clean, common cars they can get coin for easily. Buy here pay here puts gps in every car. Many subprime lenders do the same. Lots of dealers push it. Certainly not panacea but between that, engine kill switches and more sophisticated security it's just not as useful. Not to mention internet VIN searches impede small timers.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I wasn't in that bad of a neighborhood I don't think. I was at I-17 and Dunlap near the metro center mall. I also had a home invasion robbery two doors down from my apartment where a drug dealer got robbed by two dudes with shotguns. It's also the only place I have lived where it was common to have helicopters flying through at night with spotlights looking for who knows what.

I was a college student at the time and most of my friends had shitty cars. Most of them were stolen by joyriders that would just take the cars out, fuck them up, and then ditch them somewhere.

Fifey

Trakanon Raider
Says he's not in a bad area, lives at metro center. This doesn't add up. Metro center is the mall that's pretty much shut down due to gang activity, may as well be maryvale mall now.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
If I lived in peenix, I'd eat here at least once a week

http://chinobandido.com/
It's not THAT great. I mean it's got a few good dishes but I don't really like how they prepare a bunch of the items.

I'd much rather go to Carolina's for a chorizo burrito.

Also LoL @metro center. It's going to have Wal-Mart as an anchor store soon, talk about low rent. Like 2/3-3/4 the stores are empty in there most of the year.

Super odd though, right west of it are some streets with super well maintained houses, like spotless neighborhoods. You look at street view and go holy shit that's nothing like south of the mall. Then you zoom around the corner onto like 29th ave and see a bunch of crack heads sleeping in shopping carts.

I mean, it's still not that bad compared to actual dangerous cities/areas, but it's not nice.

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
Bumping this since I am interviewing for a job (been told the interview was basically a formality at this point) pretty much at the airport next week and wanted to get opinions on where would be a good place to live.

I have 3 infants and my wife won't work for at least another 5ish years, so am looking for a good family location (low crime and decent schools). The max I would want to spend is $350k, ideally a bit less. Don't care at all about nightlife or really even the culture of a neighborhood.

I did get a laugh about the comment of sales and income tax being so high at about a combined 11%. In Indiana the combined is 14% (7+7), and restaurants are even more at 10%.

Houses seem quite a bit more expensive in Phoenix area compared to Indiana, which kind of sucks. Comparing $350k houses between the two and it's not even close. Mostly what Seems to fit the bill from my limited searching is Gilbert

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Bumping this since I am interviewing for a job (been told the interview was basically a formality at this point) pretty much at the airport next week and wanted to get opinions on where would be a good place to live.

I have 3 infants and my wife won't work for at least another 5ish years, so am looking for a good family location (low crime and decent schools). The max I would want to spend is $350k, ideally a bit less. Don't care at all about nightlife or really even the culture of a neighborhood.

I did get a laugh about the comment of sales and income tax being so high at about a combined 11%. In Indiana the combined is 14% (7+7), and restaurants are even more at 10%.

Houses seem quite a bit more expensive in Phoenix area compared to Indiana, which kind of sucks. Comparing $350k houses between the two and it's not even close
I have a realtor that I really like I can recommend if you want. She's not a friend or anything like that, but got matched up with her randomly through lendingtree.com a few years back. She helped facilitate the buying of my house, and 2 years later, helped sell it. She took me and the wife all over the city to find the perfect spot, and since then I know she's had a child, so I think she would understand the family life.

Palum

what Suineg set it to

Houses seem quite a bit more expensive in Phoenix area compared to Indiana, which kind of sucks. Comparing $350k houses between the two and it's not even close. Mostly what Seems to fit the bill from my limited searching is Gilbert
Really need to know:

1) location of new work
2) max tolerance for travel time
3) max tolerance for HOA nonsense
4) if you'd prefer 2, 4 or 8 feet between houses
5) br/bath/sq foot size you need

For instance if you are working in south Tempe, you can get a palatial estate in Maricopa but schools might still be a problem there (not sure just know it's lots of new growth there). If you are working out of North Scottsdale, Cave Creek becomes a possibility if you don't want to live as a poor in Scottsdale/Paradise Valley. If you are on the North/Northwest areas, you might consider some places in Anthem or Norterra/Happy Valley area only you will be looking at a lot of master plan communities with 200-400/mo HOA and community centers of dubious utility. If you are way West/Northwest side, you could hit up Vistancia.

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
Location of job is at the airport
Travel time would ideally average around 30 minutes, but really don't want it longer than 45.
As for HOA, don't really care as long as they aren't too expensive.
Don't care about distance between houses, they are all super close anyways.
4+bd/2.5+bath, probably 2500+ sq feet. Preferably 3 car garage sijce very few have basements

I already know there's nothing I can afford in Scottsdale or Paradise Valley that has the shit I want.