Arizona: Phoenix Suburbs.

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
Also, what's the Internet situation in the area? I read Phoenix/Tempe was going to get google fiber, but had been put on hold due to a cox lawsuit (which I think they have a legitimate argument). Any other options?

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Cox is good. Most places they offer 300mbps connections. Century link isn't bad either but they are dsl so unless you're next to a terminal their speeds suck.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
If you're near the airport chances are you are going to want to stay in the east valley (Tempe/Mesa/Chandler/Gilbert).

If you'd stomach a slightly longer commute for better property/more rural I'd take a look at Queen Creek, San Tan Valley or Maricopa, though. You'll get a lot more bang for your buck there. The problem is the highways to the airport tend to get bad traffic (for here, not LA/Boston/NY bad).

I think if I were you, though, I'd look south of South Mountain - in the Ahwatukee/Ahwatukee foothills area. EX:3320 E Mountain Vista Dr, Phoenix, AZ 85048 | MLS #5342942 | Zillow

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
Just curious, what's so bad about the west valley (Avondale, Goodyear)? Just shitty traffic or is it really that much worse?

Fifey

Trakanon Raider
Shitty traffic if youre going to be commuting to the airport.
Either way you head it's gonna be shitty traffic though. I know back when I lived in AZ 8ish years ago, you could find real cheap houses out in Avondale and was it Litchfield or whatever is on the west side of the 101 by the stadium. Though I guess now, the stadium has probably caused a massive increase in house prices in that area.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Cox is good. Most places they offer 300mbps connections. Century link isn't bad either but they are dsl so unless you're next to a terminal their speeds suck.
I just spent 2 hours on the phone with CenturyLink just trying to get the right department for a DS1 circuit repair for a customer in Arizona.

Fuck that company.

PS: Also, fuck my job.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Big P is also right. Cox does not enforce their caps. You can have all the Cox you want, all the time. A steady stream of Cox, or even a giant torrent of Cox.

If you just want a trickle of Cox, that's fine too.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Just curious, what's so bad about the west valley (Avondale, Goodyear)? Just shitty traffic or is it really that much worse?
More specifically you have two major interchanges to go through to go from I10 on the west side to the airport. N/S in the valley is not terrible, E/W is a nightmare IMO. The loops are too far apart and surface streets are not interstates.

It's not something you can't do if you fall in love with a place but I would stay away from both those interchanges at all hazards if you could.

Crazily

N00b
I just spent 2 hours on the phone with CenturyLink just trying to get the right department for a DS1 circuit repair for a customer in Arizona.

Fuck that company.

PS: Also, fuck my job.
Ahh hah I'm a network engineer for state of az....I deal with CL all the time. Their phone menu is horrible to get through.....other then that they are normally ok to work with but the trouble comes when you have to deal with the smaller providers for the rural areas....thats when things get really messy.

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
Well ended up getting the offer with the money I wanted, so Phoenix here I come. Now to figure out how to drive 1700 miles with 3 5 month old infants.

Part of the relo package is that the company will pay for a visit for house hunting, so I'll get a chance to look around a bit. Probably going to stick to the east side per most of the recommendations I've seen.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Well ended up getting the offer with the money I wanted, so Phoenix here I come. Now to figure out how to drive 1700 miles with 3 5 month old infants.

Part of the relo package is that the company will pay for a visit for house hunting, so I'll get a chance to look around a bit. Probably going to stick to the east side per most of the recommendations I've seen.
Cool beans. If you need any info or help urgently while you're out here feel free to PM. Also I have a really knowledgeable realtor I'd refer you to if you want one and this is coming from someone who hates realtors. She's been in the valley forever and knows all the areas inside and out.

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
Cool beans. If you need any info or help urgently while you're out here feel free to PM. Also I have a really knowledgeable realtor I'd refer you to if you want one and this is coming from someone who hates realtors. She's been in the valley forever and knows all the areas inside and out.
I'll have to see what I need to do in order to get the benefits. One of the things they require in order to pay for closing costs is to go through their broker, not sure what all that entails.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
I'll have to see what I need to do in order to get the benefits. One of the things they require in order to pay for closing costs is to go through their broker, not sure what all that entails.
Oh did you already find a house then? What do you mean benefits?

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
Oh did you already find a house then? What do you mean benefits?
The company I'm going to pays closing costs if I go through their broker. Not sure what that means yet though. Once they finish the background check Ill talk to their relocation people

Palum

what Suineg set it to
The company I'm going to pays closing costs if I go through their broker. Not sure what that means yet though. Once they finish the background check Ill talk to their relocation people
Ah yea, so probably will still need to do all the legwork just have to go through their mortgage broker then.