Arkk's Weight Lifting / Fitness Thread

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
I haven't had DOMS in like a year. And I don't even do iso work for legs anymore, literally just squatting and deadlifting in the 80-90% range for lots of sets and reps.

Also, that study... what the fuck is "white men?" I'm half cuban and a whole lot of white shit. Do I qualify?
No but your cuban half has to go back :(

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Sir Funk

Lord Nagafen Raider
I know right? It's only 200lbs of weight. I think the bulgarian split squats (with 40lbs of weight) is more aggressive though. I'm doing 3x12 on them per leg.

Bulgarian Split Squats are the real deal. They wreck my legs in ways that barbell squats never do. I do both, but if I had to choose one, I'd keep the Bulgarians!

Itlan

Blackwing Lair Raider
You're comparing an iso burn vs. a compound lift that will tax your CNS more than your musculature.

Of course they're going to do that lol.

• 1Like

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
I know right? It's only 200lbs of weight. I think the bulgarian split squats (with 40lbs of weight) is more aggressive though. I'm doing 3x12 on them per leg.

You're doing dumbbell squats with 200lbs? How the fuck? Or is that your body weight + the dumbbell? I thought you were like 190+?

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
2 100lb dumbbells? Seems pretty simple

I guess do you just hold them down by your side? I always pictured dumbbell squats like this:
goblet-squat.jpg

But I guess you could also do them like this with 100lbs on each side:

dumbbellsquat.jpg

Doing 200lbs on squat even with dumbbells is a decent amount already, IMO. Thats relatively strong for your average guy.

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
I guess do you just hold them down by your side? I always pictured dumbbell squats like this:
goblet-squat.jpg

dumbbellsquat.jpg

Doing 200lbs on squat even with dumbbells is a decent amount already, IMO. Thats relatively strong for your average guy.
Yea like the second pic. Idk, 200lbs isn't too much, but then again I've done dumbbell squats exactly 0 times. Almost seems like grip would give out before anything else.

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
Yea like the second pic. Idk, 200lbs isn't too much, but then again I've done dumbbell squats exactly 0 times. Almost seems like grip would give out before anything else.

And seems like you're guaranteed to bang those 100lb DB's into your knees every other rep

• 1Like

Itlan

Blackwing Lair Raider
First one is a goblet squat.

Grip strength and balance would definitely be an issue. I personally have done plie dumbell squats at an elevated position with 120 pound dumbell and that tends to tax me pretty well, although I'm sure the elevated position plays a factor there. It's an alternate to belted hip squats if you don't have the equipment for it. Works the butthole real nice.

• 1Worf

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>

I do the second one. Grip is definitely a limiting factor. I also do squats where I put the weights on my shoulders, I could probably get to 80lb dumbbells on those.

I'm at the point now where I had planned to upgrade from my setup to a real gym and start focusing on barbells. My plan was to get comfortable with the DBs so I could utilize them as sort of a "maintenence" health plan that didn't involve heavy workouts and trying for progression. As in, something I could do with minimal (half hour every other day) commitment.

However, I'm sticking with the dumbbell setup for a few more weeks because I'm going to pump my breaks on fitness come December, so I have more time to play the next EQ expansion. I know it sounds silly but the hour and a half workout I do, plus all the other time I spend around the workouts, is pretty much 100% of my free time.

Maybe in January/February I'll pick up lifting again, and will join a gym and likely follow a popular program centered around bar bells.

• 1Picard

Itlan

Blackwing Lair Raider
SS would be the program you want to follow. Just add accessory work otherwise you're going to be dense in areas (legs, obliques, back) and a deflated balloon in others (tris, bis, calves, etc.)

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
Just upped my carbs to 330g on training days and 275 on rest.

In Liverpool for a football match, love hotel room lighting and mirrors.

Grabbit Allworth

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
backatit2.jpg
backatit3.jpg

So, I've finally recovered enough from my injuries to begin lifting again and I've been back at it about 3 months. I had a really strong base before my surgery, and muscle memory is very real. I'm still quite a ways from my goal as I am carrying too much bodyfat and my wheels are lagging because I am extraordinarily careful because my back is so fucked up. I also got diagnosed with Hypothyroidism about 6 months ago and that's been a real challenge.

For reference - I'm 40, 6 foot, currently 200 lbs and I took these photos today. My BF is probably 18 or 19% and the goal is 12-14%. How far I go will depend on how much lean mass I lose along the way. Currently eating about 2300 calories a day (maint is 2900).

I don't use any supplements but protein and that's just because it's cheaper and more convenient than eating. Creatine just makes me bloated for minimal benefit. I also take 400mg of caffeine as my pre-workout.

For now, I'm doing M/W/F full-body routines and completely avoiding bro-splits. They're really not that effective unless you're a juicer and/or an advanced lifter and I am neither.

• 1Like

Itlan

Blackwing Lair Raider
Wow. This is by far the douchiest post I've ever witnessed in a thread with Ossoi's oval ass head.

Bravo.

Genjiro

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Whats douchey about it? Because he posted a couple pics? In a fucking workout thread?

Goddamn you are 99% of the time a gigantic faggot in every thread you post in

• 1Like

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
View attachment 156520 View attachment 156521 So, I've finally recovered enough from my injuries to begin lifting again and I've been back at it about 3 months. I had a really strong base before my surgery, and muscle memory is very real. I'm still quite a ways from my goal as I am carrying too much bodyfat and my wheels are lagging because I am extraordinarily careful because my back is so fucked up. I also got diagnosed with Hypothyroidism about 6 months ago and that's been a real challenge.

For reference - I'm 40, 6 foot, currently 200 lbs and I took these photos today. My BF is probably 18 or 19% and the goal is 12-14%. How far I go will depend on how much lean mass I lose along the way. Currently eating about 2300 calories a day (maint is 2900).

I don't use any supplements but protein and that's just because it's cheaper and more convenient than eating. Creatine just makes me bloated for minimal benefit. I also take 400mg of caffeine as my pre-workout.

For now, I'm doing M/W/F full-body routines and completely avoiding bro-splits. They're really not that effective unless you're a juicer and/or an advanced lifter and I am neither.

How long have you been doing 2300 and how you feeling energy wise?

Grabbit Allworth

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
How long have you been doing 2300 and how you feeling energy wise?

About two months. I was on 2400 for the first month of the three months I have been cutting. I'm going very slow to minimize lean mass loss.

My thyroid problems aren't completey under control so my energy levels vary a lot, but I don't feel any worse now that I'm on a deficit if that answers your question.