Arkk's Weight Lifting / Fitness Thread

Grabbit Allworth

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Whats douchey about it? Because he posted a couple pics? In a fucking workout thread?

Goddamn you are 99% of the time a gigantic faggot in every thread you post in

I resisted the temptation to fire back earlier. Ironically, before your post I took a 60 second look at his post history and came to the same conclusion.

fris

Vyemm Raider
tips for wrist strength and pull ups? my main goal is more pull ups and it's just not happening

about 6 months ago, i started riding my bike again. got up to about 90 minute rides 3x a week. then a friend and i signed up for a tough mudder. switched to 'cross fit' style workouts for cardio and lifting again. it's been at least 8 years since i lifted regularly, but my bench was coming back. dips improved rapidly as well. pull-ups just don't seem to be going anywhere. any real increase in numbers is probably more form than strength, i try not to 'kip'. aside from a week before and a week & 1/2 after the race, i've been fairly consistent w/ training. occasionally 2-a-days if i can get hard cardio in the morning (typically weekends). otherwise, it's push, pull or cardio every day.

on push days, i do flat bench, free weight flys, overhead tricept extension, typically 12/10/8. when my last set is 10 instead of 8, i know next rotation to start at 5 pounds heavier. i might toss in something to focus on my delts, but not in a rush. i end w/ sets of push-ups. last night i could only do 10/8/6, so i knew i pushed hard.

on pull days, i start w/ pull-ups. i've tried using bands, switching grips, jumping up or negatives. numbers just don't seem to move. i then do single hand bent over rows, curl bar, pull-overs while flat on the bench, and added in reverse grip dumbbell curls last night, as i think the top of my forearm might be my weakest point for pull-ups. when i do curls (i have a curl bar, but have been using straight bar lately), there's a bit of pain in both wrists.

for cardio, sometimes it's just a run. one 'workout' that tough mudder recommends is this. i feel stupid doing this alone in my garage after the family is alseep, but it's killer and over in a small amount of time

30 jumping jacks
20 squats
30 high knees
20 sit ups
30 tuck jumps (by far the hardest part of the rotation)
20 reverse lunges
30 mountain climbers

repeat 3 more times

so everything is progressing, cardio is improving, runs are getting longer, bench is getting stronger, pull ups aren't going anywhere.

• 1Picard
Reactions: 1 user

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
There really isn't any "wrist strength" but you can improve your grip by doing farmer's carries and deadlifts, and using those little wire handgrip deals occasionally throughout the day. Beyond that, it's mostly just standard back exercises.

The side benefit of doing farmer's carries and deadlifts is that it will naturally increase your forearm strength (largely because farmer's carries target that and the grip hah) which will help with stability during other lifts, which could be contributing to the painful wrist sensation if you have weaker forearms. But if your actual wrist joint is giving you issues, that may be a sign that you have hit the best your body is going to be able to do without SCIENCE! helping out. Odds are if you see a physician, they are going to tell you to stop doing whatever it is that you are doing to make your wrists hurt. Otherwise, Advil and wrist-wraps may be your best bet, but you're mostly just ignoring a physical issue that will only become compounded over time, and I'm not sure how much you want to be mostly pain free in your 50s and 60s vs. getting a few more pull-ups in during a competition. Different people weigh different things in different ways, and all that.

When I gave a crap about numbers, my standard go-to workout for back was machine pull-downs and lawnmowers, followed by rowing machine and then pull-ups to failure. Think I got up to around 28 pullups before I realized I didn't care about pullups, but your mileage will most likely vary.

I'd give it a few weeks with the farmer's carries and the rest in if you can fit it, and see where you stand. Because if it isn't the grip or the forearm strength, or just general back strength, odds are you've basically hit cap.

Itlan

Blackwing Lair Raider
Whats douchey about it? Because he posted a couple pics? In a fucking workout thread?

Goddamn you are 99% of the time a gigantic faggot in every thread you post in
The stupid ass writing on the pictures? Posing shirtless at a gym in front of the weights? The "bro-lifts" aren't effective unless you're a "juicer" portion? He says he's 40 and acts like a preteen on reddit.

But yes, I'm the faggot. Okay bro lol.

Itlan

Blackwing Lair Raider
tips for wrist strength and pull ups? my main goal is more pull ups and it's just not happening

about 6 months ago, i started riding my bike again. got up to about 90 minute rides 3x a week. then a friend and i signed up for a tough mudder. switched to 'cross fit' style workouts for cardio and lifting again. it's been at least 8 years since i lifted regularly, but my bench was coming back. dips improved rapidly as well. pull-ups just don't seem to be going anywhere. any real increase in numbers is probably more form than strength, i try not to 'kip'. aside from a week before and a week & 1/2 after the race, i've been fairly consistent w/ training. occasionally 2-a-days if i can get hard cardio in the morning (typically weekends). otherwise, it's push, pull or cardio every day.

on push days, i do flat bench, free weight flys, overhead tricept extension, typically 12/10/8. when my last set is 10 instead of 8, i know next rotation to start at 5 pounds heavier. i might toss in something to focus on my delts, but not in a rush. i end w/ sets of push-ups. last night i could only do 10/8/6, so i knew i pushed hard.

on pull days, i start w/ pull-ups. i've tried using bands, switching grips, jumping up or negatives. numbers just don't seem to move. i then do single hand bent over rows, curl bar, pull-overs while flat on the bench, and added in reverse grip dumbbell curls last night, as i think the top of my forearm might be my weakest point for pull-ups. when i do curls (i have a curl bar, but have been using straight bar lately), there's a bit of pain in both wrists.

for cardio, sometimes it's just a run. one 'workout' that tough mudder recommends is this. i feel stupid doing this alone in my garage after the family is alseep, but it's killer and over in a small amount of time

30 jumping jacks
20 squats
30 high knees
20 sit ups
30 tuck jumps (by far the hardest part of the rotation)
20 reverse lunges
30 mountain climbers

repeat 3 more times

so everything is progressing, cardio is improving, runs are getting longer, bench is getting stronger, pull ups aren't going anywhere.
You may be gripping the dumbbells/barbell/whateverbell incorrectly if you feel wrist pain during curls.

Grabbit Allworth

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
The stupid ass writing on the pictures? Posing shirtless at a gym in front of the weights? The "bro-lifts" aren't effective unless you're a "juicer" portion? He says he's 40 and acts like a preteen on reddit.

But yes, I'm the faggot. Okay bro lol.

Rather than just throw on the normal anti-detective layer, I just wrote 4 a.m. gym pics because it's tacky as fuck to take your shirt off for selfies in the middle of the day. I only did it because I was completely alone in the gym. What would have been better? The classy bathroom selfie? Shut the fuck up. The "too fat" comment was a jaded hedge against the inevitable internet critiques.

I'm not evening going to argue the science of working a muscle multiple times a week versus the once-a-week splits. If you're un-enhanced, it's not even a contest. And strong reading comprehension. I never said bro-splits aren't effective. In fact, lots of people make gains from them, but those people are following routines crafted and disseminated by people who aren't natural. Novice to intermediate lifters would see better results with more frequency and less volume.

TLDR

Ya, you're a faggot.

Cathan

Silver Knight of the Realm
Cardio question: I've been timing myself on the 1 mile here recently about every 2 days on the treadmill. I have mostly started with about 7 or 7 1/2 mph and work my way up to finishing at about 11 or 11 1/2 mph at the end for around a 7 min mile. 8.6 mph is about a 6:58 mile so I started at 8.5 the other day and ran a pretty constant speed slowly increasing to 9.0 mph the last quarter mile. I was worn out doing this with a constant speed.

Conversely, I find that if I start around a 7 or 7 1/2 and work my way up to about 8 1/2 at the 1/2 mile mark I am much less tired and much more comfortable sprinting out the last 1/4 mile at a much higher pace.

Is that normal to find it easier to finish when most of the run was at a lighter pace even if the finishing time was the same either way? For some reason I seem to hate steady state running but a slow increase to within the last 1/4 mile going to a high pace increase feels much more comfortable to me. I'm just wondering if it's mental or what the deal is.

Itlan

Blackwing Lair Raider
Rather than just throw on the normal anti-detective layer, I just wrote 4 a.m. gym pics because it's tacky as fuck to take your shirt off for selfies in the middle of the day. I only did it because I was completely alone in the gym. What would have been better? The classy bathroom selfie? Shut the fuck up. The "too fat" comment was a jaded hedge against the inevitable internet critiques.

I'm not evening going to argue the science of working a muscle multiple times a week versus the once-a-week splits. If you're un-enhanced, it's not even a contest. And strong reading comprehension. I never said bro-splits aren't effective. In fact, lots of people make gains from them, but those people are following routines crafted and disseminated by people who aren't natural. Novice to intermediate lifters would see better results with more frequency and less volume.

TLDR

Ya, you're a faggot.
Ok bro good luck with your 3 days a week lifting and shirtless pics at 40.

Itlan

Blackwing Lair Raider
Cardio question: I've been timing myself on the 1 mile here recently about every 2 days on the treadmill. I have mostly started with about 7 or 7 1/2 mph and work my way up to finishing at about 11 or 11 1/2 mph at the end for around a 7 min mile. 8.6 mph is about a 6:58 mile so I started at 8.5 the other day and ran a pretty constant speed slowly increasing to 9.0 mph the last quarter mile. I was worn out doing this with a constant speed.

Conversely, I find that if I start around a 7 or 7 1/2 and work my way up to about 8 1/2 at the 1/2 mile mark I am much less tired and much more comfortable sprinting out the last 1/4 mile at a much higher pace.

Is that normal to find it easier to finish when most of the run was at a lighter pace even if the finishing time was the same either way? For some reason I seem to hate steady state running but a slow increase to within the last 1/4 mile going to a high pace increase feels much more comfortable to me. I'm just wondering if it's mental or what the deal is.
Glycolysis + lactic fermentation. It's easier for your body to manufacture ATP + pump oxygen at a slower pace once you get to the point where you begin aerobic glycolysis. That last portion isn't something that will deplete you entirely where you start to feel a lactic build up, so you probably aren't seeing a lot of negatives from beginning at a slower pace and ramping it up as time goes on.

Jim Russel

Lord Nagafen Raider

You have a low aerobic threshold which basically means your muscles are bad at consuming lactate and bad at burning fat for energy. If you want to improve this you'll have to do hundreds of hours of running at an embarrassingly slow pace. If you just like sprinting and don't actually care about your mile time then don't worry about it.

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
So after 4.5 yrs off and about 5 months back in the gym, I've gotten to the point where I think I'm going to do SS 5x5 (with pullups or dips each day) until I get my squat back up to 315 for 5x5 the switch to MadCow's or something similar.

Will do a (almost) complete reset and start squats at 135 for 5x5 the first day

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
I guess it depends on what his squat was before.

If he's only ever squatted below 3 plates, well, yeah, he's going to stall out well before then. If he used to squat 350+, he'll probably be good to go.

In my experience, taking substantial time off can lead to it basically feeling like noob gains again. It was actually kind of fun to just stack on the weight week to week.

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
I guess it depends on what his squat was before.

If he's only ever squatted below 3 plates, well, yeah, he's going to stall out well before then. If he used to squat 350+, he'll probably be good to go.

In my experience, taking substantial time off can lead to it basically feeling like noob gains again. It was actually kind of fun to just stack on the weight week to week.
This. Was at 375 for 3 before I stopped for a the few years.

Since going back I've just been sporadic with weights and a routine. Figured a full body 5x5 3times a week will help get me back to like 80%

Itlan

Blackwing Lair Raider
Do you plan on progressing with 5 or 10 pound increments? You can probably get away with 10 for a little but eventually your CNS won't be able to keep up.

You also better start eating like a muthaafuckaaa.

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
Just going to do 5lb increments. 10 on deads.

I already eat 2.8 - 3.2k a day. I'm 6'3" and 214 as of Wed. So I am always hungry :(

Itlan

Blackwing Lair Raider
Yeah I'm not sure what's going on but I've been eating like shit, tons of fried food, lots of carbs, and my weight just isn't going anywhere. It stays at 195 no matter what. In the 3500-4000 range daily lately and just nothing. And I feel like shit too.

Been running KIZEN infinite off-season program. Definitely testing my endurance on these AMRAPs.