Arkk's Weight Lifting / Fitness Thread

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
That looks like some stupid Crossfit inspired workout. I wanted to stop watching after he bounced every deadlift rep (it's called dead lift for a reason). Only kept watching because of the blonde.

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
It has begun. Gym full of people I have never seen. Lines for bench and racks for days. :(

fris

Blackwing Lair Raider
plus side of having a garage gym. sucked benching in 30 degrees last night though lol

Itlan

Blackwing Lair Raider
I wish it was 30 degrees out...

As for that video, if you're into circuit training that's cool. He seems pretty strong and his deadlift form wasn't too bad (aside from the bouncing and that soft ass lockout, which makes sense his legs are weak if he's bouncing). But that's a very easy way to injure yourself.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Since finally a home owner, can now have a basic squat rack in basement, have flu so can't set it up yet

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Yesterday my wife found some used dumbbells for sale and asked me if I wanted them.

2 ea of 25-55, and then 1 of 60-80 (and for some reason a 3rd 55).

The whole lot for $300! Score (31 cents a pound).

We currently have up to 35's, and I had been tempted in the last week to spend $100 each for a pair of 45's and 50's. Getting everything else for $100 more than that is a steal. The couple we bought them from had a newborn and lived in a super poor part of town, so I kind of felt bad about it as they obviously needed the money. But getting all of that for just $100 more than I was going to spend?

We'll end up trying to sell our extra 25-35's and the 55 and recoup about $100 hopefully.

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
@Tuco, for pullups, I know you said you were stuck.

I've added weighted for 3 sets of 5 every other workout. Up to 20lbs. Tried no weight added on my other workout day. Hit 21 reps. I'd try weighted if you still are working on them

McQueen

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
My double medial patellofemoral ligament reconstruction knee has... drumroll... Patellar femoral syndrome. I'm doomed to be small and weak, so I guess I'll try yoga? :(

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Yoga might ease the pain enough that you can actually start lifting again. Yoga is probably the single best form of exercise that exists. It makes you limber, makes you stronger and increases endurance.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Itlan

Blackwing Lair Raider
I need to find time to incorporate yoga.

Think adding in one session per week will help at all?

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
I had a bad hip issue caused by baseball/boxing a few years back (5ish years). Getting more limber was shockingly helpful. Even just basic deep stretching to improve mobility helped way more than I could imagine.

I personally try to keep some sort of yoga/deep stretching routine. Even at one day a week, I can't imagine it would do anything but help.

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
I'll talk mad shit about weird weight loss programs and what have you forever, but I will say that the Yoga-X video in the P90X series (while hilariously over the top with the main guy getting excited during Yoga) was easily the most worthwhile of the entire bunch. It's a shitload of stretching and then holding poses to whatever degree you can, for 1.5 hours. Even at only once a week, that stuff will limber you up like mad. Not to mention that during some of the later poses, unless you are already ripped like jesus and can do it without thinking, you'll be able to see the sweat physically sprout from your arms. It's pretty great.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Itlan

Blackwing Lair Raider
Yeah the biggest key in improving my deadlift has been hip positioning & tension off my flexors. Think I may take a yoga class on Tuesday mornings. I won't do it at home.

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
Re Yoga - if you guys want set routines that are a little less 'faggy', DDP yoga (diamond dallas page the wrestler lulz) works. It seems and looks very jokey but it's not bad for a male yoga newb. You can buy em or download em from the usual places if you dont' wanna spend the money or just wanna try em out. I typically do one or two of the 20-30 minutes routines a week just for general flexibility and to nail stabilizer muscles that I know I miss with my bro splits at the gym.

Workouts

I'd really like to get into meditation, 15 mins twice a week or so, but fuck that shits hard. Supposed massively good for you though.

Last edited:

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
I'd really like to get into meditation, 15 mins twice a week or so, but fuck that shits hard. Supposed massively good for you though.

get the headspace app, it's brilliant. I used the free trial then a black friday deal for a years subscription. NY resolution was to do it every day and as someone that is inside their head a lot and very analytical I could feel a difference after 10 days and felt more present.

I had some health issues at the weekend that have been a constant worry so haven't done any since, but I highly recommend the app

And the best way to understand meditation is like "bicep curls for your brain", every time your mind wonders and you have to snap focus back to your breathing IS hard/tiring but necessary

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
get the headspace app, it's brilliant. I used the free trial then a black friday deal for a years subscription. NY resolution was to do it every day and as someone that is inside their head a lot and very analytical I could feel a difference after 10 days and felt more present.

I had some health issues at the weekend that have been a constant worry so haven't done any since, but I highly recommend the app

And the best way to understand meditation is like "bicep curls for your brain", every time your mind wonders and you have to snap focus back to your breathing IS hard/tiring but necessary

I should ya, i've heard of this like 5 times and always make a note but then forget.

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
14 weeks into my six month strength/hypertrophy program.

Starting weight 158lbs, today 175-176lbs.

Rest day macros:

90g fat
190g protein
340g carbs

Training Day:

90g fat
190g protein
400g carbs

I'm the heaviest and leanest I've ever been. Since I started training the only time I have been this heavy is from taking a break from training and letting go of my diet completely. Some of the weight gain will be water weight 3-4lbs or so.

Still extremely vascular and with visible abs outline - obviously a bit softer than at the start but I'm not trying to "lean bulk" whilst not going all out on a dirty bulk.

Last edited: