Arkk's Weight Lifting / Fitness Thread

Itlan

Blackwing Lair Raider
Hmm... I feel like your bench & squat shouldn't be that close. I wonder what drives that. Do you have long femurs? Underactivated glutes/quads? Do you pull conventional or sumo?

Aamry

Blackwing Lair Raider
So I started working out again. Figured I'd put that $10 a month membership to use, since I'm paying it anyways, and it gives me an excuse to ride my scooter everyday. My gym (WorldGym) doesn't allow deadlifts, but has a good squat rack that I've been using when people aren't doing french curls in it, and like 6 benches.

I'm so fat and out of shape, I've been trying to build up my back and core so I'll stop waking up with lower back pain, and even though I only started lifting again last week it's already helping. Since I switched jobs from roofing to medical deliveries, I've put on 50 pounds.
Current stats:
6'3"
295lbs, BMI is probably ridiculously high.

Without a spotter, I've been doing:
Bench press: 125?, Bar and two plates, about two sets of 8 reps before I'm pretty worn out
Squat: Also bar and two plates, for 2 sets of 10 reps.
Weight assisted chin-ups: Started at 150 pounds assist, but I'm at 140 now. I weigh 295 currently.
Farmer carry: Been using 75lb dumbells for this, and it wrecks my forearms from gripping, but barely touches my shoulders.

Any personal trainers on here willing to write a regimen of exercises, or is there one further back in this thread? The Fires of Heaven Workout?

Aamry

Blackwing Lair Raider
Time to find a new gym!

Unfortunately I live on Anastasia Island in St Augustine, there are no other gyms on the island besides cardio fitness/yoga/YMCA, and I still have like 2 months left in my 1 year contract.

Looks like there is a better gym just over the bridge, conveniently located next to the orthopaedic surgery center.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Hmm... I feel like your bench & squat shouldn't be that close. I wonder what drives that. Do you have long femurs? Underactivated glutes/quads? Do you pull conventional or sumo?
You're exactly right. And I'm pretty confident it's undeactivated glutes. I described this a bit more in detail a couple days ago, but I did a bunch of glute activation exercises before my last workout and my squats felt a lot better. I'm pretty excited to hit them again in tomorrow's workout, because I know I'm way underperforming on squats.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
So I started working out again. Figured I'd put that $10 a month membership to use, since I'm paying it anyways, and it gives me an excuse to ride my scooter everyday. My gym (WorldGym) doesn't allow deadlifts, but has a good squat rack that I've been using when people aren't doing french curls in it, and like 6 benches.

I'm so fat and out of shape, I've been trying to build up my back and core so I'll stop waking up with lower back pain, and even though I only started lifting again last week it's already helping. Since I switched jobs from roofing to medical deliveries, I've put on 50 pounds.
Current stats:
6'3"
295lbs, BMI is probably ridiculously high.

Without a spotter, I've been doing:
Bench press: 125?, Bar and two plates, about two sets of 8 reps before I'm pretty worn out
Squat: Also bar and two plates, for 2 sets of 10 reps.
Weight assisted chin-ups: Started at 150 pounds assist, but I'm at 140 now. I weigh 295 currently.
Farmer carry: Been using 75lb dumbells for this, and it wrecks my forearms from gripping, but barely touches my shoulders.

Any personal trainers on here willing to write a regimen of exercises, or is there one further back in this thread? The Fires of Heaven Workout?
Another thread to check out:
Weight Loss Thread

Weight loss is mostly diet related. You may want to check out this page too:
getting_started - Fitness

• 1Like

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Weird, the only World Gym I've ever been to was in San Diego and it's the best bodybuilding/powerlifting gym I've ever been to. Quite a few pros work out there. They have a deadlift platform.

Guess maybe it's a situation where World Gyms are independently owned and your owner is a dickhole.

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
Also is that Y crap? The one I go to is by far the best gym around.

Aamry

Blackwing Lair Raider
Weird, the only World Gym I've ever been to was in San Diego and it's the best bodybuilding/powerlifting gym I've ever been to. Quite a few pros work out there. They have a deadlift platform.

Guess maybe it's a situation where World Gyms are independently owned and your owner is a dickhole.

That's basically the situation. They had two locations and they closed one, and crammed most of the equipment into the other location, so now it's tight and some days it's super busy.

Deadlift anyway. Worst that happens is they ask you to stop.

That's true, but they have signs posted everywhere. No Deadlifting, no grunting, no photos or videos, no chalk, no fun lol. It will let me get in better shape over the next few months before I can join the other gym, which has MMA and a ton other stuff.

Yesterday was calf lifts on top of other full body exercises. I have to stretch them out every hour or it's painful today.

Itlan

Blackwing Lair Raider
No videos? I record every lift of the big 3 to dial in technique and make small adjustments. Fuck them.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Is such a thing even possible?

YES IT IS

Aliens

It blows my mind that guys with such small statures can lift so much relative to guys with massive statures, even guys that are short/stocky. Is it that there is some kind of diminishing returns with muscle gain? I mean you look at Long de Cheng's quadriceps and they look about as big as mine were when I was 12, but the guy is able to squat 500lbs.

Obviously these guys are competing at a high level in weight brackets that they are optimizing for low-body-weight, high weight lifts. But I can imagine being a dude who trains to lift heavy shit and develops the same kind of physique they have and wonders wtf he did wrong.

Itlan

Blackwing Lair Raider
Is such a thing even possible?

YES IT IS

Aliens

It blows my mind that guys with such small statures can lift so much relative to guys with massive statures, even guys that are short/stocky. Is it that there is some kind of diminishing returns with muscle gain? I mean you look at Long de Cheng's quadriceps and they look about as big as mine were when I was 12, but the guy is able to squat 500lbs.

Obviously these guys are competing at a high level in weight brackets that they are optimizing for low-body-weight, high weight lifts. But I can imagine being a dude who trains to lift heavy shit and develops the same kind of physique they have and wonders wtf he did wrong.
There's a number of things to consider. First and foremost, a smaller frame will always support less muscle, and building for strength is a lot different than building for size. Some of the strongest dudes in the world look like average gym bros (the elite of the elite generally look like bodybuilders or strongmen, fwiw). Secondly, look at the ROM both men go through during their lifts, Cheng in particular. The stretch reflex alone basically gets him out of the hole and he just has to finish strong up top. Compare this to someone who's 6'4 doing a squat to depth. This is why someone larger NEEDS more mass in order to lift comparatively.

Hope this makes sense.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Watching that little dude squat is actually kind of pissing me off. Need to up my game!

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
There's a number of things to consider. First and foremost, a smaller frame will always support less muscle, and building for strength is a lot different than building for size. Some of the strongest dudes in the world look like average gym bros (the elite of the elite generally look like bodybuilders or strongmen, fwiw). Secondly, look at the ROM both men go through during their lifts, Cheng in particular. The stretch reflex alone basically gets him out of the hole and he just has to finish strong up top. Compare this to someone who's 6'4 doing a squat to depth. This is why someone larger NEEDS more mass in order to lift comparatively.

Hope this makes sense.
It does. It's just bizarre to me when I see someone who looks like they have like, 1/10th the quadriceps of top level lifters squat half the weight they can.

Itlan

Blackwing Lair Raider
He's an Olympic weightlifter in China. You realize what that means right? He was chosen at a young age (probably ~5) and has done nothing but live and breathe olympic lifting since that time. His frame is small, yes, but his back is incredibly well built for his size, which is typically the weakness of a high-bar squat, not the glutes or quads. He's got pretty short femurs as well, meaning his levers are pretty much ideal (why he was chosen).

As for the Ant, his leverages are incredible for deadlifting. It's really his squat that confuses me, I have no idea how he squats that much. Again, another dude who for his frame has a ton of muscle and thickness. He's simply genetically limited & gifted at the same time. Look at his bench -- there's literally thousands of gym bros who can put up bigger benching simply because they're bigger/fatter. He's also been powerlifting since he was 15.

It's a mix of genetics & a ton of hard work, as usual.

• 1Like

Pasteton

Blackwing Lair Raider
ive been gradually porking up with age over the past decade, and need to reverse this trend. so ive been trying to change my diet to a lot more protein and skimping on the carbs the past few weeks. problem is this has profoundly effected the quality of my shits, and my gas is way more deadly too. what do you heavy protein users do to combat this, just fiber supplements?

Itlan

Blackwing Lair Raider
Skimping on carbs doesn't mean skimping on veggies man. Also, carbs aren't evil. Things like sweet potatoes, regular potatoes, oatmeal, and rice should be in your day to day diet. What you want to avoid are FRIED carbs, and sugary junk food bullshit.

If it's not highly processed, and doesn't come in a bag, you're probably fine having it. No need to be gassy or having heinous shit coming out of your ass. Eat your veggies.

• 1Like

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
I realized I need a workout partner. Never ask for spots, but I did yesterday on week three, cycle 2 for for my bench. Got 235 for 7 on my 1+ set. Was very happy.